Point Cloud import is the future for As-built

KTKArch

I have been using a BLK360 for year now. Accuracey is 1/16", great tool! I work on projects that are hours away. I make the trip and do a detailed scan of the project so I have every dimension collected in the point cloud 3D model with google streep map like 360 photos. I essentially come back to the office with the entire as built project in point cloud form with every measurement I could need. I really wish CA would add point cloud attachment into the program. As it is now I use Autodesk Recap and can quickly measure anything I need. I have not missed any measurements the require another site visit. I don't need to run around taking tones of pictures. I get others who make a trip to the site calling asking for measurements they did not get. The as built set comes together very quickly and move into design. I know others will say they still prefer to make the site visit and laser measure everything. Everyone has their prefered method. Go for it!

8 hours ago, Todd-W3Design said:

I have been using a BLK360 for year now

so how do these things work when there are bushes all the way down the side of a property? do you use it interior as well? how does it capture around corners for tight bathrooms? i survey some very convoluted houses. Are you assuming for instance, the inside length of a closet, becuase it cannot possibly know that with a bunch of clothes in it? 9 times out of ten that how I find the flue

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Curious if anyone knows if there's been any further progress with imports into Chief using BLK360 or similar point cloud technologies.  Interested in knowing if Chief yet or plans to use exports (registered) of E57 and RCP or LGS equivalents.

Comments welcome.

Let's say you just built the Burj Khalifa, and after construction you realize there are a million things that need regular servicing after construction and then you also notice that these millions of things are not necessarily what was specified (because things change during construction) so it would be nice to have a visual of exactly what all this equipment is and where it is precisely in your building.  

This is probably a scenario where Point Cloud is really useful and where the client would have the money and necessity to improve his BIM so that maintenance could be most efficient.  

I don't think Chief users fit this description despite our longing to be relevant in this field.  Let's be serious...

5 hours ago, IvanCyr said:

Curious if anyone knows if there's been any further progress with imports into Chief using BLK360 or similar point cloud technologies.  Interested in knowing if Chief yet or plans to use exports (registered) of E57 and RCP or LGS equivalents

From some of the floor plans I have seen put together by these programs, they look to have a method to deal with the "numbers do not add up" problem. From what I can see, these programs will then make interior walls thicker to ensure the outside perimeter walls are straight. or reduce the size of an interior room.  I'm not sure how that would look like in a CA import. I suppose CA could ask "what wall would you like here because the wall width is 7 5/8" in the import file" type of questions.

To me its almost like these programs are a great backup resource so one does not have to go back to site, or maybe less chance of going back to site. But I think either way you cut it, someone will need to take crucial measurements at site, and will need to draw or fix up any output it produces.

For something like a realtor floor plan, I think it fits the bill, or during construction to see what is in the walls, hole locations, etc.

Most houses here have 10 or so rooms, it does not take that long with a laser measuring tool to do it. For the times I have been allowed, I sit their with my laptop in CA and do the plan right there. That is what I have found is the most efficient, if one can do it. but I do like the though of a backup, if I had to go back and check something out

Clarification:

"Import" is a point by point intake of a file. Just as when we import a .jpeg or .pdf it is a graphical entity with it's own data and shapes. Importing a data cloud would get you a data cloud in Chief.

"Converting" or "translating" a data cloud or any program's file is the process of creating Chief elements like wall types and windows/doors, floors, etc. much like 'Convert to Wall' does for cad lines.

In a typical data cloud what you have is a 'random/incomplete' but orderly grouping of points that represent what the scanner has seen. Following the concept of what you put in is what you get out - If there are items in the way such as bushes or hanging clothes, move around them or move them to the best of your ability. At thousands of points per square foot, many are likely to be the wall behind, enough to at least get an accurate surface representation that will prove valuable. - Putting a little work into the prep or actual taking of the scan can yield exponential benefits. This would easily become the as-built file that could be referenced while tracing only what you needed and adding your new design elements becomes the working model. Arguably, having something that accurately represents the existing landscaping would personalize the project for your client and could easily increase the marketability of your services.

Typical Chief Users may never need or want to do something like this, until its available and easy, just like rendering has become. But for the ever increasing power of personal computers we could all still be using ink pens and mylar and slide rules, if we remained satisfied with the typical. Keep pushing Chief and keep improving your own level of typical.

26 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

It currently is both available and easy

In many ways with third party programs, agreed. Within Chief?...That is my intended context, even going back to my original scope of this thread.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KTKArch said:

In many ways with third party programs, agreed. Within Chief?...That is my intended context, even going back to my original scope of this thread.

Just convert your BLK file to OBJ with textures and import straight into chief, pretty easy to trace in 3d from there using a section plane cut

20 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just convert your BLK file to OBJ with textures and import straight into chief, pretty easy to trace in 3d from there using a section plane cut

Thanks. Sounds like that may be similar to part of what IvanCyr was asking earlier.

9 hours ago, IvanCyr said:

Curious if anyone knows if there's been any further progress with imports into Chief using BLK360 or similar point cloud technologies.  Interested in knowing if Chief yet or plans to use exports (registered) of E57 and RCP or LGS equivalents.

Comments welcome.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 7:19 AM, KTKArch said:

So I just returned from a demonstration of current high tech and its use in the future of home design.

I must say, Point Clouds from laser scans are the way to go.

Sure the high end is 1/4 million $ scanners and drones/aircraft. But even a $75K backpack scanner at the right resolution will take a 6-hour site measure and office drafting time down to a 30-minute walkthrough/around and 1 - 2 hours in the office for 3D overlay.

Can't put out $75K...hire it out and markup 3rd party's price for the walkthrough. You not only get the building but the topography as well. Fences, trees, and neighboring buildings will get picked up. Great for landscaping and the all-important tree schedule. You will be able to simply measure tree trunks at whatever height the local jurisdiction requires from the comfort of your desk.

If you find any boundary markers. Put a recognizable 3D item over them to locate them in the point cloud. Want to verify the scale of the point cloud? Measure one or more items that you can verify later and scale as needed. Better resolutions reduce and eliminate this but dramatically increase your file size.

So a good scan will be within a 1/2" of accuracy and you know those pesky double-thick interior walls you can't get to? Or that one that goes off at an angle or stairs that follow a curving wall. No guessing the radius or if there are multiple slopes on the roof. Its all in the point cloud at less than half the time and cost of hand measuring.

Still can't 'see' it? Watch when the countertop installer measures up the next kitchen with one. The countertop fits like a glove after a simple scan is fed into the CNC machine. If the countertop installer can make it work we can too. 

So Chief Architect, when are you going to simplify importing point clouds into CA?

Hello, Same question as you do. I know it been a long time ago. but do you have the answer for this yet. I am current work on the X14 and my client is expecting to have an as-built molding by True Point supplied. Please advise if you have any suggestion for importing the RCP point cloud into CA. 

8 hours ago, HienTranMiTek said:

Hello, Same question as you do. I know it been a long time ago. but do you have the answer for this yet. I am current work on the X14 and my client is expecting to have an as-built molding by True Point supplied. Please advise if you have any suggestion for importing the RCP point cloud into CA. 

Needs to be converted to an obj file type and then imported

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Needs to be converted to an obj file type and then imported

Thank you very much. I do have one more brief question regarding the converted file. Does the Obj file actually contain live 3D points from the scan file, or is it just a 3D block visualization?

Is there a way to import the RCP file from the laser scan directly into CA? Instead, we strive to avoid converting to obj using third-party construction tools like CAD or Revit.

Many thanks for your response.