Program updates

WysteriaDesign

Hi, On a mac, can you tell me where I would find whether or not there are X11 updates available?  

I am trying to open a plan file emailed to me by a friend but I keep getting a pop up that asks if I'd like to update to a newer version of Chief.  I say no, because I have X11and nothing happens, I say yes and I'm taken to chiefarchitect.com where I don't see an update available.

Thanks! 

If your friend is on the X12 beta test program, and sent you a file that was created in X12, you would not be able to read it in X11.  Your friend is not supposed to do this by the way so you would want to let them know this. 

The only other thing I can think of is that the file they sent you is actually corrupt and the program thinks its from a newer version but it's just garbage.  

Her friend is me, Tommy Blair. I'm not on the beta version meaning I don't have it (didn't know beta was in process). She sent me a plan to rework some walls and I sent it back. I told her tonight to try and shut down the computer and reboot to see if that helps. From what she says here, she apparently has the latest version (update) I guess. The main thing that came to mind with her getting a message that my version is a newer version would be that she hasn't done that latest update. I have worked on her plans sent to me in the past and have sent them back to her and she has been able to open them with no issues. I told her that if rebooting her computer doesn't work and she has the latest update that she needs to contact tech support.

I have been helping her for several years.

It could be that she's just clicking on the plan to open it.  If that's the case her system may be trying to open it using X10.

Ask her to first start Chief X11 and then open the plan from there.  Sometimes when someone installs a new version they forget to set the file associations properly.

• Upvote 1

Any CA X11 release regardless of the version can Open any X11 .plan file.

Same is applicable to X10, etc.

Betas, like X12 <-have a different version number. [ I used to have a C# gizmo that dumps the content of .plan file and can manipulate version # ].

I think her problem is that Gmail is not letting her save the attachment. When she tries to save it, she's getting the error and it's saying she's using X10. When I'm on my gmail account, I can move my mouse over the attachment and it gives me the option to open or save. She says she's not getting that either. She can't open a plan file sent directly or zipped. She's calling tech support when they open.

8 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It could be that she's just clicking on the plan to open it.  If that's the case her system may be trying to open it using X10.

Ask her to first start Chief X11 and then open the plan from there.  Sometimes when someone installs a new version they forget to set the file associations properly.

I think that's pretty much the problem. She can't find a way to save the attachment to her computer. It looks like the only thing she can do is click on the attachment and it's trying to open it with X10. She needs to be able to save the attachment.

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

If you emailed the file then she just needs to right click on the attachment at the bottom of the email and "Save As".

She says that when she right clicks, she can "save link". Don't think that's the same however I've never used that option.

11 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Did you email the "plan file" or a "link" ?

It sounds like you did the later.

I emailed it as an attachment, not a link. I've never had this problem before...neither has she. I sent her both, a .plan file and a zip file. For some reason, she can't "save" the attachment.

21 minutes ago, rlackore said:

I don't know if Chrome and Gmail looks/works differently on a Mac, but on Windows you don't need to right-click the attachment, simply mouse-over the attachment and select either Download or Save to Drive:

saveas1.PNG.a352a958cd2229b82528bd8032b18d6c.PNGsaveas2.PNG.26cf4f3ace159407ec2c71f0a2bb9fab.PNG

I get what you show on the left by moving my mouse over it. She's not getting that. She's using a Mac. This should be real easy...don't understand.

45 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

I emailed it as an attachment, not a link. I've never had this problem before...neither has she. I sent her both, a .plan file and a zip file. For some reason, she can't "save" the attachment.

Gmail now adds the File as a link to Google Drive now if it is too big, ( most email service allow 25mb though ) it's similar to Apple's Email attachments going to their iCloud.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Gmail now adds the File as a link to Google Drive now if it is too big, ( most email service allow 25mb though ) it's similar to Apple's Email attachments going to their iCloud.

File is under 4MBs. Compressed to a zip file is only 479KBs. 

6 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

File is under 4MBs. Compressed to a zip file is only 479KBs. 

I am not sure what Gmail's limit is , or if it has one ? to be honest , I only know about it as I have received Files from Client's that way.

that is a pretty small file though...

M.

Hi Tommy , just had another thought....... did She just update to Mac OS Catalina?  it has a bunch of new security features which limit some services till you explicitly turn them on now...for example last Week a Client had to figure out how to get GoToMeeting to work with Catalina after updating to Catalina the day before and be able to share the Video etc with me , so perhaps not being able to click links in emails is now a Security Feature too?

M.