Shift/select, Shift/deselect query

Ross101

Hi All

When "group selecting" a number of items, I use Shift/Select as usual to click on each item to select it.

If I accidentally select an object that I don't want to be included in the group, I used to click on it again while holding down the Shift key, and it would be deselected.

This no longer works for me?

I'm sure this will be an easy answer... but what am I doing wrong? 

Relevant information, possibly:

X11 (latest update)

MacBook Pro, mid, 2014.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks Eric.

Yes, it works exactly the same as SHIFT/Select/Deselect used too, but now using COMMAND/Select/deselect.

COMMAND might be specific to a Mac?

I shall retrain my brain... 

I am now seeing previous answers to this (including yours). I did a search before posting but none of these came up... wrong search terms, obviously.

Thanks again

Ross

I detest this particular change more than any other Chief has ever made.  Shift used to simply be restrictive based on the active tool and Control was non-restrictive.  Either could be used to add or subtract from the selection with either a marquee or by single clicking.  Now it’s a goat rope trying to remember which combination of keys (Control or Shift) and actions (single click, marquee, or right click) to use and when to use them (before or after an object has already been selected), etc.  Very messy and hard to describe.  

I could easily teach a person to use the tools to efficiently select groups of objects in busy areas in X10 and prior.  Now?  Not so much.  

On 11/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, pounamu said:

Why was it changed?

Ross

I believe it was changed to more closely resemble how files and cells are selected in other processes.  I suspect a lot

of people were expecting a certain behavior, getting confused by how Shift and Control work, and then costing Technical support a lot of time.

I can sympathize to a certain extent, but  I maintain that better documentation/education is the answer, not taking away functionality for the sake of so called continuity.  We’re not selecting from cells and lists here.  We’re selecting from a virtual 3D environment where there is commonly a jumbled mess of objects stacked on top of each other.  The more refined and intuitive control we have over what we are selecting and de-selecting the better.  I feel like our options in this regard were already pretty limited and that we only lost some of the little we had.  To be fair, MOST of the functionality is still there...it’s just far more complicated and a whole lot less efficient now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

please people send in a bug report

Although I agree, I preferred it the old way too , so +1, but Chief does not consider it a Bug , they did it so Ctrl and Shift work the same way in Chief as they do in Windows (10) , there were quite a few annoyed people at the time but Chief stuck to their guns on matching Windows functionality about it.

M.