DOOR / WINDOW header height AFF automati

Evolution

I don't suppose there is a macro (I'm not good at creating them) that I can find / use to insert in my Door and Window schedules to auto calculate the Header height from finished floor (AFF). I did open wall framing DBX for some walls that have either a door or window, but did not see where the HH AFF could be called out automatically. I suppose I have to go into the schedules themselves and edit each one manually?   I did add a column for the HH AFF insertion. Just got to figure out how to edit the text in that column. I will when I get the opportunity. 

Door - Window Schdl.png

Window Schdl.png

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Are you asking about framing -- the header over a door?

Eric, what I was asking is if there is a macro (I didn't see one) that I could insert into my Door and Window Schedules that would automatically calculate what height the header (from the floor) is for each door (more particularly windows as they are not all the same header height) ? I know I can calculate it from the floor to bottom plus window RO height, I was looking for a quicker way without the manual input. I was going to do wall framing details but the client said his framer would only ask for each header height to be included in the Window (and door) schedule. 

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I could set one up for you.  Sent you a PM.

Thanks Michael.  I saw it and will consider it for sure, sounds reasonable enough! Since I am not making my living with CA, it may be a one time thing for me? Its the first time I've had a client ask for this in particular.  I hadn't included framing details as part of his package and I guess he thought he could get this free from mean. After all?

2 minutes ago, solver said:

You can use the object properties macro in a textbox to see what's available for an object.

ct1.thumb.png.54d05eecd85c6c7ffcc39dd10d9e95da.png

In this case there is a header_elevation.

You would need a really simple macro that returns this value.

ct2.png.45ec6eb71efc5993492dfce5fb51b9d4.png

I used the macro in the Code field instead of creating a custom field.

ct3.png.6513a3b9329f254f6a9dd7e328471e4b.png

Eric you always make it look easy!  I will experiment to see if I can figure it out.  Not tonight though too much other stuff to get done. The excavator has started clearing his site, so I may have a day or two before he starts pushing me for it.

Am I missing something?

Why not just use a Custom Object Field in the door/windows dbx with  %header_elevation% and then include that column in the schedule?

PS. Brown Tiger just beat me to it.

But no need for a Ruby macro - use the built in one?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Why would one need to know header height above finished floor.  Finished floor height typically changes from room to room as finishes change, and if finish is carpet, things get fuzzy :).

I was thinking the same thing. There is no finished floor for the framers to work from.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I was thinking the same thing. There is no finished floor for the framers to work from.

Assuming there was, how hard would you push your tape measure into plush carpet?;)

Keep it simple Bob, use the sub-floor elevation! IMO AFF should be used to reference other finish items.

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

Assuming there was, how hard would you push your tape measure into plush carpet?;)

Keep it simple Bob, use the sub-floor elevation! IMO AFF should be used to reference other finish items.

The AFF was an honest mistake... the subfloor is 5/8 and yes. They want the header height from the subfloor. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NRST8TRKR said:

I Have always installed Doors and Windows before any finish floor is installed,hence measurement would be from sub floor.

Have a great week ,Ken

ME too Ken (I've been building for 50 years) The client said he wanted the framer wanted the Header Height from FF (I didn't give it a second thought) although I changed that column in my Schedules to read Header Height ASF (above sub floor) I didn't catch it until I got called out by you guy's.  We ALL had a good laugh (I suppose). 

21 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

WindowOIP.thumb.PNG.24c9e37584a58ec97bb0a4140b865098.PNG

To display the value on the schedules insert you Ruby macro into one of the Object Information fields. Now add this field to your Door and Window schedules....

BT-not sure I'm doing this correctly? I did create the custom object field (just to start only one window). I did add it to my door and window schedule, but do they update automatically?   The Column I added for the Height of the headers did not update. 

Custom Field in Schedules.png

Not sure what are you asking...

Here is a macro: 

I created OIP "HeaderHightASF", assigned this macro. Whent to the scheduler, double clicked added this OIP "HeaderHightASF" and it showed up just fine.

Revised per Kbird1 suggestion below:

Proper: headerHeight2.json   = header_elevation

Prior (bad)

top headerHeight: headerHeight.jso   header_elevation + header_depth

Thank you 

KBird1

On 11/7/2019 at 12:46 PM, BrownTiger said:

Not sure what are you asking...

Here is a macro: 

I created OIP "HeaderHightASF", assigned this macro. Whent to the scheduler, double clicked added this OIP "HeaderHightASF" and it showed up just fine.

headerHeight.json

Thanks for the Ft-in Header height Macro BT ....................

Just FYI  the macro's result is incorrect for most Nth Amer. Framers - ie Headers are normally measured to their Bottom so the 2nd to last line should be

result = ftin(obj.header_elevation)                                  not:             result = ftin(obj.header_elevation + obj.header_depth)

ie : the +obj.header_depth is not needed as it is not measured to the Top of Header usually as the Header depth may vary ie 2x8 or 2x10 etc etc but the bottom is usually the same throughout the home , regardless of Header Depth.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, Kbird1 said:

Thanks for the Ft-in Header height Macro BT ....................

Just FYI  the macro's result is incorrect for most Nth Amer. Framers - ie Headers are normally measured to their Bottom so the 2nd to last line should be

result = ftin(obj.header_elevation)                                  not:             result = ftin(obj.header_elevation + obj.header_depth)

ie : the +obj.header_depth is not needed as it is not measured to the Top of Header usually as the Header depth may vary ie 2x8 or 2x10 etc etc but the bottom is usually the same throughout the home , regardless of Header Depth.

Hey, Mick, I'm using the built-in macro (%header_height%) and it appears to me to dimension to the bottom of the header (i.e. on a window (DBX) set 96" to the top, the header height is 96.5) so, that would be to the bottom of the header, correct? Assuming the macro ignores the casing, and is based on top of the window head jamb, allowing 1/2 for shimming / adjusting the window for square and plumb?

I know most framers in our area work using the same framing conventions (for the most part), and this client is using a framer (he has used on several projects) and has reviewed the window schedule and is satisfied with the information provided.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Hey, Mick, I'm using the built-in macro (%header_height%) and it appears to me to dimension to the bottom of the header (i.e. on a window (DBX) set 96" to the top, the header height is 96.5) so, that would be to the bottom of the header, correct? Assuming the macro ignores the casing, and is based on top of the window head jamb, allowing 1/2 for shimming / adjusting the window for square and plumb?

I know most framers in our area work using the same framing conventions (for the most part), and this client is using a framer (he has used on several projects) and has reviewed the window schedule and is satisfied with the information provided.

Thanks.

Correct, that macro uses the defined window height+the rough opening top measurement (1/2"). The problem I mentioned above is only if you are using BrownTiger's Macro. His macro however outputs in Feet and inches , not decimal feet like the built in Chief macro you mentioned,  ie 8' 1/2"  not  96.5" so maybe preferred in some areas.

M.

• Upvote 1

Back in the late 80s in Texas, we cut 11 ¼” off of a precut stud so that a 2x12 header could fit over an opening. Not all headers were 2x12, but it standardized everything for when such load bearing support was needed.  This worked well but doors and windows always seemed to not exactly match at the top and needed custom trim ripping to get right.  The space over the door was always bigger than over the windows.

Chief has that still today.  Setting door and windows to 80” above top of subfloor places the bottom of the header at the same 80” but the location where the bottom edge of the top door trim and the bottom edge of the top window trim don’t align and always need adjustment. This only becomes an issue when making mulled doors with side windows.  And it seems most designers will get it close and assume the framer will figure it all out on the job site.

A good framer will get with the window and door guy and get exact size info.  Then in consort with the builder, make the whole thing look like the elevation, since that’s what the customer is expecting.  I appreciate that you are going the extra mile to provide this level of support on your project.  I hope it all goes well.

17 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

Chief has that still today.  Setting door and windows to 80” above top of subfloor places the bottom of the header at the same 80” but the location where the bottom edge of the top door trim and the bottom edge of the top window trim don’t align and always need adjustment. This only becomes an issue when making mulled doors with side windows.  And it seems most designers will get it close and assume the framer will figure it all out on the job site.

It can be an issue for sure especially since most exterior Doors need a higher header height to fit due to the Door Sill/Threshold eg 82 1/2" in the real world for an 80" door , the problem in Chief is because they "build" the windows to the outside of the Frame size (called Heel Size) but with Doors they "build" them based on the Inside of the Frame size ( with no gaps or the Door Size eg 36 x 80").

So lifting the Windows a couple of inches maybe needed ITRW to match header heights depending on trim etc.

M.

• Upvote 1