Invisible in Vector View?

kwhitt

I want to make my newel posts invisible in standard and vector view, so that I can insert my own 45° posts on a chamfered deck.  I have tried creating a symbol and having CA insert them automatically to no avail.  So, I created my own material using insulation air gap and all is fine in standard view, but it shows up shaded yellow in vector view.  I know I can assign a glass material to the posts and uncheck "opaque window glass" in vector, however, I don't want my actual windows transparent.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

standard.jpg

vector.jpg

The eye-dropper to take the color form the balusters and apply to the posts doesn't work? If you created your own material using Insulation air gap, why couldn't you use anything else like a custom counter top set to thickness, size you need, and set the material to a white color? (I think that would work too, maybe not?).

42 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I want to make my newel posts invisible in standard and vector view, so that I can insert my own 45° posts on a chamfered deck.  I have tried creating a symbol and having CA insert them automatically to no avail.  So, I created my own material using insulation air gap and all is fine in standard view, but it shows up shaded yellow in vector view.  I know I can assign a glass material to the posts and uncheck "opaque window glass" in vector, however, I don't want my actual windows transparent.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Space your newels so far apart that you don't have any. Use 2 room dividers to create the space where you want to place your newels. Use a separate railing in between the 2 room dividers that has no balusters.

Thanks for the replies.  What I'm already doing works quite well and much simpler than what has been proposed.  Is there no way to make something other than glass invisible in vector view?  

Rob -  I tried this method first and the invisible walls at the corners kept getting overridden by the railing walls as the posts are only 3.5".  That occurred even when I reversed direction.

55 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks for the replies.  What I'm already doing works quite well and much simpler than what has been proposed.  Is there no way to make something other than glass invisible in vector view?  

Rob -  I tried this method first and the invisible walls at the corners kept getting overridden by the railing walls as the posts are only 3.5".  That occurred even when I reversed direction.

It works for me. Very simply.

image.thumb.png.92673a0fdcffbfb63599501d4ea7a3e2.pngimage.thumb.png.c5443211490ec72214ea1daf5d280bba.png

• Like 1

Thanks Rob.  I didn't realize the invisible wall you were referring to was perpendicular to the railing.  Are two invisible walls (one parallel & one perpendicular) necessary to get this "break"?  Thanks again for the feedback.

Eric - thanks...  That's a brilliant solution.  I didn't think of making a symbol with no relative height.  So, I am assuming it is impossible to create a material that is invisible in vector view (other than glass)?

11 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Eric - thanks...  That's a brilliant solution.  I didn't think of making a symbol with no relative height.  So, I am assuming it is impossible to create a material that is invisible in vector view (other than glass)?

Materials can only be made invisible in vector when used in the structural layers of roofs, ceilings, walls, etc.  Even glass is not invisible in Vector Views unless its part of a door or a window.  And as Eric pointed out, it has been requested many times.  Maybe add your support to one or more of these threads...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Rob.  I didn't realize the invisible wall you were referring to was perpendicular to the railing.  Are two invisible walls (one parallel & one perpendicular) necessary to get this "break"?  Thanks again for the feedback.

Just the perpendicular is necessary. By dragging the perp. room divider, the railing will adjust automatically. They can be dimensioned if you'd like to get exact spacing. I use this where alumnium railing meets a house wall and I don't want it to connect, but have a newel about an inch from the wall. Or if I want my aluminum railing to have a small space on either side of a structural column, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  Michael - I'll add on to those threads.  Rob - thanks again for the tips on the invisible wall being perpendicular.  Eric had suggested this in another thread regarding a full deck post (in lieu of half) near siding.  I thought it was necessary to use both parallel and perpendicular invisible walls.

8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Eric had suggested this in another thread regarding a full deck post (in lieu of half) near siding.  I thought it was necessary to use both parallel and perpendicular invisible walls.

It is.  Here's a quick video I made on the subject 2 or 3 years ago.  A few of the settings might look different (not sure) but the basics remain the same...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks everyone.  Michael - I'll add on to those threads.  Rob - thanks again for the tips on the invisible wall being perpendicular.  Eric had suggested this in another thread regarding a full deck post (in lieu of half) near siding.  I thought it was necessary to use both parallel and perpendicular invisible walls.

At the junction to a house, yes. To separate the rail at a structural column, yes. To insert your own newel post, no. 

• Upvote 1