Rounded Roof Eaves

Alchemyjim

Hi fellow Chief Nerds,

I have been using Chief for awhile now. I thought I could pretty much handle anything the real world threw at me. Until I got this curve ball. 

Anyone have an idea on how to create these rounded wood shingle eaves? The shingles curve all the way back under the eave. What would you even call that?

All I can think of is creating half tubes with a poly solid, rotating to align with the roof slope then painting them with wood shingles. 

Fortunately none of the roof planes are being changed for this remodel so I don't need to be too detailed, but I still need the elevations correct for the design review board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks y'all. 

Capture.JPG

My first choice would be to:

-create an L-shaped molding that matches the overhang profile (you'll need 2, an inside and outside corner) I used CA-36 and resized to 8x16.

-convert that molding to a symbol (I used 'millwork')

-adjust the stretch planes (this will probably take a bit of trial and error)

-open the symbol, rotate about the y-axis to match your desired roof pitch (ie for 6:12 roof rotate negative 26.56 degrees)

-place the symbol so the inside corner aligns with the outside corner of a roof plane

-adjust the length at the eave in plan view by stretching / dragging

-adjust the length at the gable in elevation view. You'll also need to adjust the height

-copy in place and reflect about the ridge to place it opposite itself

-to get the texture/pattern improved, I think you'll need to make the symbol out of 2 pieces, and then assign and edit the gable end material separately.

image.thumb.png.76c96d91ecf1a16fa1a5a9518aaadf19.png

-

23 hours ago, Rpadge said:

couldnt you use a custom gutter profile? Or a moulding polyline?

This works for a down and dirty method ......the pic is custom gutter and gable shadow board profiles

( since we can't control individual eave or gable shadowboard offsets, the eave shadowboard doesn't sit quite right...or i didn't play long enough?)

Molding Polyline should work just fine too ( since a gutter is just an auto generated one) but will also be way more time consuming go up the gable etc.

image.thumb.png.8c9cfb237204a5cd2576096090779787.png