How to create life-like grass?

bjulius21

I'm still trying to make the background nicer as I continue to fine tune my interior cameras and lighting. So here are three new backgrounds, one for a flat background and two for a spherical background. Same background on the Spherical, but with a twist...

bg10.thumb.jpg.eef17eca5f938f291a5fd5821f95b9ba.jpg419171708_bg11Sph.thumb.jpg.eecac5edfbb26dabbcb9b384228a18ae.jpg

FYI - The horizon is very important to get it to sit right, so use these as samples. The lower horizon is for the Spherical. 

bg-Flat.calibz bg-Sph.calibz bg-Sph-x2.calibz

After looking at more interior renderings online, I headed toward something just a bit more abstract and artsy. Here are some new backgrounds and camera and rendering settings. I'm liking more where this is heading. What I am trying to do is set up a new website with exterior renderings from Twinmotion, and the projects interiors from Chief. I have been slowly making these rendering changes and to my default template with a camera already in place I can just drag into place all set up. 

I am including my Library of these backgrounds, both backdrops and Spherical. From these you can see the horizon placement that works for backdrops and Spherical and how they differ.

I don't have much of a reflection in the water on the lighter image, but the idea is to wash the background out a bit in the rendering.

663321131_bg10Lake-dimmer-bright.thumb.jpg.6a848095cd5ce18037dd3146054a2437.jpg

result.thumb.jpg.5fb43960a68adce9220d1a0afd67afc5.jpg

See PDF for settings

SN Backgrounds.calibz 2023-01-27-6.pdf

11 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I am including my Library of these backgrounds, both backdrops and Spherical. From these you can see the horizon placement that works for backdrops and Spherical and how they differ.

FYI these are shot as pano's in TM instead of spherical. Would be nice if they were truly spherical. Also I would you please use a different tree for the tree closest in proximity as it the least realistic. Last note, instead of overexposing, please underexpose, as then we can control it more with backdrop intensity in a raytrace PBR

32 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Also I would you please use a different tree for the tree closest in proximity as it the least realistic.

Yeah, I didn't like that one either. You might say I am not trying too hard to make the trees nice as much as I was working to try and find my right exposure. I found that if I over exposed in Chief from a darker photo, it would turn too lime green, so was trying to less brightness to overexpose the background. 

I redid another for Spherical and made the trees smaller. This is just for the perspective full and floor and sits better now. Once again, I'm just trying to get something nice without spending too much time fussing at this time while learning the interior rendering.

Thank you, Rene! I have been enjoying your videos and learning a lot of little tricks here and there. I also purchased your closets, so going to mess with setting some of those up soon for when I have a home with a large closet that I want to do a rendering on in Chief.

SN Background Far Trees and hills Sph.calibz

A new thing I learned - yes, I know, a bit slow here... was the angle and horizon of my image. It is important if you want to match the placement of the camera inside the model that the exterior be at that same angle (perspective) and horizon. 

I'm messing around with some background colors to bring in a more ambient morning cast, and was wondering why my background just does not seem to be placed correctly. I also pushed my bushes out toward the tree so they would show up in the image.

Better Result - standing at like 5 or 6 feet off the ground - horizon in the middle of image

618557567_bg14Morning.thumb.jpg.8447ecdfa3fde92f48c23122be2938b2.jpg

Horizon too low - looks strange and twisted

2023-01-28-3.thumb.jpg.1d851c2379af772435b0b8d690eab68e.jpg

Horizon in the middle - much better

2023-01-28-4.thumb.jpg.3fe5dfa449fd740387f7635c0668077d.jpg

And after all that, the look I'm after is to wash out and show less of the exterior, creating a more abstract look

2023-01-28-5.thumb.jpg.bc2cabbcdec491c1c0a93e56344eba41.jpg

2 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Better Result - standing at like 5 or 6 feet off the ground - horizon in the middle of image

Hi Steve, yes I think this looks better however I think personally you are "washing out" the Exterior a "little too much".

Under- exposing Images slightly is a long time Photographer's Tip and usually brings better saturation, and it's easier to "lighten" an Image , post processing, if needed vs trying to "fix" an over exposed/washed out image.....though I realize that was your intent above, but I can also see it from Rene's point of View.

M.

33 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Steve, yes I think this looks better however I think personally you are "washing out" the Exterior a "little too much".

Under- exposing Images slightly is a long time Photographer's Tip and usually brings better saturation, and it's easier to "lighten" an Image , post processing, if needed vs trying to "fix" an over exposed/washed out image.....though I realize that was your intent above, but I can also see it from Rene's point of View.

M.

Yes, I get that and I have uploaded a number of backgrounds above that are properly exposed. So now I am mainly playing around with results of the different types of images - now working on casting a pinkish hue. 

I am now messing with some of my sun and other rendering technique settings to pull off an evening scene. I am purposely trying to pull off a more abstract look so the viewer knows I'm not trying to make it photorealistic, but offer an idea of the space. Maybe later I will spend that time, but for now I want to click a few buttons and have a result. 

image.thumb.png.97b694065c8a20613fbeb5b69abae370.png

stevenyhof-bedroom.thumb.jpg.a4b344a890f2176bc4cb96189dbacbb8.jpg

stevenyhof-bedroomdark.thumb.jpg.a3047ebb0650b0733cdb09b002c676d5.jpg

You might say it is a result of pulling in the idea of hand color pencil or water color renderings...

sample1.thumb.jpg.74619d8e4d49f8fc31428f639007fd5d.jpg

sample2.thumb.jpg.f0796dec144e2ef50b499c3948d39eaa.jpg

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I'm messing around with some background colors to bring in a more ambient morning cast

We don’t have HDRI capabilities in the software, so adding colors to your background really make for an inaccurate lighting condition and adds to the amount of time it would take to correct the condition, especially with a color diffused amidst cloud cover. Correcting color casting from a single color like grass is really a single action fix in post edit, and is not a problem by comparison. Food for thought.

btw there are a ton of free HDRI’s on the net for comparison, these can be converted to CA jpg backdrops.

30 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

o pull off a more abstract look so the viewer knows I'm not trying to make it photorealistic, but offer an idea of the space. Maybe later I will spend that time,

Why not use watercolor render with line over, and make the line squiggly ?

11 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Why not use watercolor render with line over, and make the line squiggly ?

My thoughts too actually , if you want the "abstract look" , turning down Turbulence etc helps not make it too "arty"

M.

Yes, after I brought into photoshop I was liking the look. I forgot about the watercolor option. Haven't messed with that for several years. Rene, sometime I will purchase some time with you as I would like to get on the right track with realistic rendering. My main goal at the moment is to complete my new website where I want a more artistic look for the interiors...

Here is what I have put together for exteriors and interiors...

https://stevenyhofdesigns.com/new-home-construction/

These are just models from CA...

https://stevenyhofdesigns.com/software-models-gallery/

For those you want to show off remodeling projects...

https://stevenyhofdesigns.com/remodeling-and-additions/

36 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Actually I'm liking the look of the PBR with the lines... Nice and clean

withlines.thumb.jpg.6ca00405b37053db6773ac180b6a1c87.jpg

Looks good! You'll eventually want to correct the sync between patterns and textures, as you can see in the flooring. Also, if you wanted a more subtle look in the flooring you could delete the pattern lines altogether.

38 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

e PBR with the

Sometimes, when I work a rendering too long it becomes an intimate and progressive relationship where I overwork the scene and lose the perspective of the client. That blown out exterior draws you right to it. It’s the first thing I see and it distracts, whereas I should be looking at the architecture. My two cents :)

i am teaching rendering at Dan baumans summit next month, you should check it out :)

On 1/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, Renerabbitt said:

That blown out exterior draws you right to it. It’s the first thing I see and it distracts, whereas I should be looking at the architecture. My two cents :)

i am teaching rendering at Dan baumans summit next month, you should check it out

Yes, you and I are in agreement on that rendering.

Is there a link to Dan Baumans Summit, or is that a live seminar?

39 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Also, if you wanted a more subtle look in the flooring you could delete the pattern lines altogether

Yes, I have tried both ways on the flooring. I know I have a ways to go to getting things right and resetting a number of my materials. A bit daunting, but for me to be able to do a rendering quickly I know I need to go through a number of materials and set things up. 

I just did this in TM. I have watched many videos and they make it seem so easy, but I just cannot get what I really want. This was then brought into Photoshop to scale back on the contrast. I made my own board and batten maps which I use in Chief, and then need to add the normal map into TM.

I try to use the Path Tracing, but it does funny things I cannot figure out to control, but this is not too bad. 1.5 hours. The one thing I wanted to try was making thicker concrete so I could just raise the house a few inches over the top of the grass instead of erasing the grass, and that seems to work. It is of course is not as snuggled into the grass/grade.

2023-01-28-29.thumb.jpg.b10eeb509f7f0b43d9c0183960b83ff8.jpg

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Sometimes, when I work a rendering too long it becomes an intimate and progressive relationship where I overwork the scene and lose the perspective of the client. That blown out exterior draws you right to it. It’s the first thing I see and it distracts, whereas I should be looking at the architecture. My two cents :)

i am teaching rendering at Dan baumans summit next month, you should check it out :)

Here is this same image brought into PS with some adjustments...

Right out of TM...

744518216_cont-1(1).thumb.jpg.ed7b68cf13c22e97a53b5c4ee734a7d9.jpg

After PS... 

cont-1.thumb.jpg.3fbaae5407845ffa45a875cffe6812cd.jpg

18 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Yes, I have tried both ways on the flooring. I know I have a ways to go to getting things right and resetting a number of my materials. A bit daunting, but for me to be able to do a rendering quickly I know I need to go through a number of materials and set things up. 

You can turn off the layer for patterns altogether. Patterns, 3d Views