How to create life-like grass?

bjulius21

34 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Here are a couple of exteriors I modeled and rendered in X14, the grass textures came from here: http://www.tonytextures.com/free-green-nature-ground-texture-photo-gallery/

Wow! Very impressive to be done in Chief. Camera background image, a few bushes to keep things simple and a few trees for shadows. You have just inspired me to set up my Camera, and put together a few nice background images. And thank for the grass images. Heading to the link now to mess around.
Thank you!

Steve

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

Wow! Very impressive to be done in Chief. Camera background image, a few bushes to keep things simple and a few trees for shadows. You have just inspired me to set up my Camera, and put together a few nice background images. And thank for the grass images. Heading to the link now to mess around.
Thank you!

Steve

Chief can do a great job with your renderings, finding the right materials & textures is key.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, stevenyhof said:

Here is another with closer trees

Thanks Steve for posting both these, as I am mostly doing Interiors in Chief too.

* keeping the Sun Lumens low in PBR-RTRT helps to soften the "grain" on the larger surfaces such as the Drywall.

M.

32 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks Steve for posting both these, as I am mostly doing Interiors in Chief too.

* keeping the Sun Lumens low in PBR-RTRT helps to soften the "grain" on the larger surfacer such as the Drywall.

M.

Yes, Chief does a nice job now that I have the setting set up. I have added a few cameras to my template and set to the side for when I want to bring them in. I am getting nice renderings in less than 30 seconds that are quite fine.

I have been messing with AI stuff (mainly Midjourney), a good place to get lost for days and then realize that I just wasted a lot of time. Had some fun though generating some fun results base on the images and text I inputted... - add the words, frank lloyd wright to it and get results like this... 

stevenyhof_small_residential_concept_drawing_sketches_with_dime_ed5ba400-4d3e-4957-a431-2c0a7124137e.thumb.png.20fe8826c68718d07160bb6800f99937.pngstevenyhof_architectural_concept_drawing_sketches_with_dimensio_1b9cee08-4e41-4e65-a125-31649c9daa72.thumb.png.c9c0865eec783aa65768f23d804d4d34.png 

I think lawn is always going to be difficult to make look like grass. Things like brick and stone have large flat mass areas as compared to the small areas for the groves for the bump (normal) map, where grass has no flat surface and is only vertical. I messed with several software programs for many hours making grass and finally gave up on adding a bump map.