Object Display Order

RobUSMC

In previous versions back there was the option to bring any object, PS, CAD line to the front or back group.  In plan view there is the View Draw Order Tool and it works. However, I dont see that tool option in elevation trying to send a box with a custom fill to the back. In this case behind the vent hood.  The backsplash tile Im using is a thin stacked stone however its associated pattern file is a square 12 x 12 tile.  I was trying to use a simple line box and fill it with a closer looking pattern without changing the actual time in camera view.   Is there a way to do move this to the back group or is there a way to change the associated pattern of  that texture.

View Draw Order.png

Front to Back Order.png

13 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

currently I have a PS for the backsplash tile

I'm just curious as to why you would use a PSolid instead of either a "Custom Backsplash" or a "Wall Material Region".  Both tools are easier and are designed to do the job. 

You can use the "Pattern From Texture" tool in either case.

An elevation view is really a mixture of the 3D model along with 2D cad annotations. 

The draw order of the 3D model is determined by the position of the 3D objects relative to the camera position.  In other words, if you want one object to appear in front of another, you have to move the actual location in the model.  You usually can't move 3D objects forward and back in an elevation view so it's often works best to do this in a plan view.

The draw order of 2D cad can mostly be controlled by the same draw order tools that you have in plan views.  You can move 2D cad forward and backwards so that one 2D object will appear in front of or behind another 2D object.  You can also place the 2D cad completely behind the 3D model or keep it in front, but you can't mix it in between 3D objects.  In your case, you were trying to create a 2D object (a simple cad box) and have it appear in front of one 3D object (the wall) but behind another one (the hood).  There is no way to do this currently.

The best way to get what you want is to modify the actual 3D model instead.  This will have the added benefit of looking correct in all camera views and not in just the one you are adding the cad to.  In your case, it is better to change the material that is on the wall (or the polyline solid, or the backsplash, or whatever the 3D object is) then it is to try and hide it with a 2D cad object.  The goal is to get the pattern that is used for the vector view to match the texture that is used for the other render techniques.  There are lots of ways to do this but as you have already found, X11 has a new tool to generate a pattern from a given texture.  There are also tools to keep these things in sync if you need to change the scale or shift the position of them.  More information about the Define Material dialog can be found in the training videos or by using the Help button directly from the dialog.

I use multiple PC for BS tile usually as it is not the same tile.  May be two row of one tile, a trim piece or center band with a 2nd or third tile them back to the original tile.  See a few attached BS / shower tile design we've done.  If there is an easier way Im all ears as I also do this for shower walls

McCague 749 2500 pixel.jpg

McCague 791 2500 pixel.jpg

Lo Rez Pilot Dwyer final B 302.jpg