Standard and PBR Renderings painfully slow to modify

Cheryl_C_Crane

Changing or adjusting materials or other modifications are abysmally slow in both standard view and PBR. This on a machine that did the same tasks quickly a few months ago.

What can I do to fix this? Plan view & Vector view are running fine. I give customers PBR's but I've never had a rendering that didn't require adjusting materials.

Is this a Win 10 update thing? I'm at wit's end

Here's a poor quality video that I did with my cell phone.

The plan is also attached.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/search/_tv_Videos/photo/AF1QipPG5AgzsvriRRAWgQfzunAaEaZVm27YFkFPu0W2

Dill Marti Vern.zip

(That's Huckleberry's voice letting me know that a tennis ball is under my desk. The joys of working from home 8-) )

Thank You for your thoughts, ~Cheryl

Well, turning off the rope lights certainly helped - a lot. 

Ribbon lighting has become ubiquitous to kitchen design.  I think I'll use a polyline with an emissive material to represent the ribbon lighting. Otherwise, if I wait until the end to turn on the ribbon and adjust materials I have chased my tail right back to slow rendering.

Thank you both very much for helping me.  Huckleberry was more interested in the tennis ball than looking at a CAX11 file.

4 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Changing or adjusting materials or other modifications are abysmally slow in both standard view and PBR. This on a machine that did the same tasks quickly a few months ago.

What can I do to fix this? Plan view & Vector view are running fine. I give customers PBR's but I've never had a rendering that didn't require adjusting materials.

Is this a Win 10 update thing? I'm at wit's end

Here's a poor quality video that I did with my cell phone.

The plan is also attached.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/search/_tv_Videos/photo/AF1QipPG5AgzsvriRRAWgQfzunAaEaZVm27YFkFPu0W2

Dill Marti Vern.zip

(That's Huckleberry's voice letting me know that a tennis ball is under my desk. The joys of working from home 8-) )

Thank You for your thoughts, ~Cheryl

Just FYI...I opened your plan and had no trouble with generating a PBR. It would generate in 10 seconds or less.  I have a 5+ year old iMac...you can see my specs in my signature. Not much different from yours. You might want to experiment with a new file just to see if the one you are working in has gotten corrupted...or the Chief Gremlins have invaded.  You never know...

Thanks, Steve.

I have been wondering if maybe my default template file has become corrupted because I've been experiencing this for about a month. But if you are easily able to work with this file, then maybe it isn't corrupt.

Did you turn off the rope lighting?

I was hoping that the Gremlins would leave with Halloween!

18 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Thanks, Steve.

I have been wondering if maybe my default template file has become corrupted because I've been experiencing this for about a month. But if you are easily able to work with this file, then maybe it isn't corrupt.

Did you turn off the rope lighting?

I was hoping that the Gremlins would leave with Halloween!

No...fast even with rope lighting on.

Geeze, maybe I need an exorcist? 

I also note that you have 2 megs on the video side. 

It's funny that when we were able to go from 8 lights to 100 I thought WOW, I'll never need that many!

I counted each segment of the rope light as 1 when I should have counted each LED. I'll try the emissive poly solid and not worry about shadows. Good kitchen design should have layered lighting as to lessen shadows anyway.

Thank You for the assist with how the plan ran on your machine. I appreciate you.

10 minutes ago, SNestor said:

No...fast even with rope lighting on.

Fast is a relative term. I can run the PBR with all the lights on also without any problem but having all those lights on does slow things down. It's most noticeable if say when in the PBR window you click on a cabinet and then press ok, it takes a while for your cursor to come back, maybe 10 seconds or so. If the rope lights are turned of the cursor will come back in say 5 seconds or less. 10 or 15 seconds can become frustrating if you are making a lot of changes in PBR.

1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Fast is a relative term. I can run the PBR with all the lights on also without any problem but having all those lights on does slow things down. It's most noticeable if say when in the PBR window you click on a cabinet and then press ok, it takes a while for your cursor to come back, maybe 10 seconds or so. If the rope lights are turned of the cursor will come back in say 5 seconds or less. 10 or 15 seconds can become frustrating if you are making a lot of changes in PBR.

OK...relative speed...obviously. My computer is 5 years old...so, take that into consideration. Maybe a newer more powerful computer would generate the PBR is a couple seconds...I just don't know.  

What I guess I'm saying is that the PBR rendering of Cheryl's kitchen didn't take any longer on my computer than most of the other PBR renderings I have created...10 seconds or so to complete with "improved lighting" checked.  I'm not rendering expert either...so, take that into account.  

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

OK...relative speed...obviously. My computer is 5 years old...so, take that into consideration. Maybe a newer more powerful computer would generate the PBR is a couple seconds...I just don't know.  

What I guess I'm saying is that the PBR rendering of Cheryl's kitchen didn't take any longer on my computer than most of the other PBR renderings I have created...10 seconds or so to complete with "improved lighting" checked.  I'm not rendering expert either...so, take that into account.  

I'm not faulting you or your computer, just trying to gain an understanding as to how long the PBR actually takes. If Cheryl is experiencing a similar time then the performance is most likely as would be expected with that number of light sources.

As light sources are added computational time increases, the more lights the more time. No matter how powerful ones computer is, sooner or later things will start to slow down. I find on my system that with 100 active lights, especially with shadows turned on, lag starts to become noticeable.  For me anything over 10 seconds starts to become frustrating.

20 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

What can I do to fix this?

This helps a bit.

The part that makes the biggest difference is the light adjustment. I alter rope lights to spots and adjust. I didn't drag mine out, just had a quick play with yours and microwave light. Fiddled more with the stove area  where rope lights are placed at front of cabinet which is what I have done IRL.

I also purged and merged plan materials-only matters a little just good housekeeping IMO. I'd likely be starting from a clean template and importing what is needed to avoid all the extra odd materials listed there. YMMV

Adjusted.zip

ADDED- if you don't want to mess with spots for rope lights you can also increase the spacing between to say 6" and bump lumens to 2.5, then move light to front of cabinet. Easier to control the lights and improves performance.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MarkMc said:

This helps a bit.

The part that makes the biggest difference is the light adjustment. I alter rope lights to spots and adjust. I didn't drag mine out, just had a quick play with yours and microwave light. Fiddled more with the stove area  where rope lights are placed at front of cabinet which is what I have done IRL.

I also purged and merged plan materials-only matters a little just good housekeeping IMO. I'd likely be starting from a clean template and importing what is needed to avoid all the extra odd materials listed there. YMMV

Adjusted.zip

ADDED- if you don't want to mess with spots for rope lights you can also increase the spacing between to say 6" and bump lumens to 2.5, then move light to front of cabinet. Easier to control the lights and improves performance.

Mark Thank you!

The spots are a good idea that I'll make std practice. Only I will NOT have them create shadows. I really don't want shadows on the CT.

I'll just give up on robe lighting unless I'm asked for an electrical plan. To date, I've never been asked to specify the ribbon lighting other than by brand. I don't conceive of anyone asking for the distance between LED's or the lumens per diode,

Mark, at risk of looking out of date, what's IRL & YMMV?

I really appreciate all who took their time to explore this issue and who gave me ways to improve my workflow. 

28 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Mark, at risk of looking out of date, what's IRL & YMMV?

LOL-I only know maybe 6 of those :) IRL-in real life; YMMV your mileage may vary-my favorite is DAMHIKT-don't ask me how I know this:)