2013 iMac - NVIDIA GTX 780M issue

SNestor

I have a late 2013 iMac...with an NVIDIA GTX780M video card.  I recently installed Catalina...the new MAC operating system (wish I hadn't)...and now my video card doesn't seem to work.  I checked my system...and according to Apple my system is up to date.  I called Chief Tech Support...they told me that Apple controls the drivers on their systems...and Chief doesn't have a solution.  

So...wondering if anyone else has this problem and maybe has a solution?  Or...should I just head out to the Apple store and get a new computer?  Seems so stupid...my system works just fine otherwise...although it's a tad slow.  

Thanks!

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

I have a late 2013 iMac...with an NVIDIA GTX780M video card.  I recently installed Catalina...the new MAC operating system (wish I hadn't)...and now my video card doesn't seem to work.  I checked my system...and according to Apple my system is up to date.  I called Chief Tech Support...they told me that Apple controls the drivers on their systems...and Chief doesn't have a solution.  

So...wondering if anyone else has this problem and maybe has a solution?  Or...should I just head out to the Apple store and get a new computer?  Seems so stupid...my system works just fine otherwise...although it's a tad slow.  

Thanks!

Do some searching on MAC issues over on the Nvidia Forums ......join and Post over there Perhaps for the best help....

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/

M.

32 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Do some searching on MAC issues over on the Nvidia Forums ......join and Post over there Perhaps for the best help....

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/

M.

I've looked at the forum...most of the posts lost me.  I'm not a techie...

Getting on phone with Apple Support...I'll post anything of value that I learn. 

21 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I've looked at the forum...most of the posts lost me.  I'm not a techie...

Getting on phone with Apple Support...I'll post anything of value that I learn. 

I would just join and make your own post,  explaining you aren't a "techie" too .... lots of knowledgeable people over there who will likely try to help...

M. 

UPDATE:  It's not my hardware or my NVIDIA video card...according to Apple.  We looked at the Activity Monitor with Chief Architect running and a "floor camera" window also running and the computer was not taxed at all...

So...I have some other issue.  

Here's my problem:  I have a large floor plan.  I have rooms where I have placed light fixtures...and also some "added lights".  Other rooms on the same floor don't have any lights.  When I use the floor camera...and I have "sun follows camera" checked...some rooms are "dark"...and no matter what I do I cannot get any "light" on any walls or anywhere in the room.  

Have I screwed up a setting somewhere along the line?  I don't remember this every happening to me before.

Below are pics from the plan I am working in...and another new plan I created just to test the floor camera and the supplied lighting...

These (2) are from the same plan file...

2019-11-04_16-13-21.thumb.png.dd4824af92480b87b8fb241f49710e21.png 2019-11-04_16-00-29.thumb.png.f4989ed5cb1146b1af0fed64867ad599.png

This is from a generic plan to test lighting...as you can see on the ceiling;

2019-11-04_16-10-23.thumb.png.ed34447f6d8f0801016800d1df54250b.png

In relation to your last picture, try this:

Open the camera dbx and go to the Camera panel>Lighting.

Is Automatic checked?

If so this will give you a default light (that you are missing).

You can check Light Set and unless you have any custom light sets, the Light Set will be Default Light Set which will not have Chiefs default light (which I think is what you are not seeing). 

Chief only adds the "Auto Light" in the center of the Room if there are no "User added Lights" in a Plan AFAIK ,

so looking from a Room without added lights into a room that does may seem okay , but other rooms may appear "dark"

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief only adds the "Auto Light" in the center of the Room if there are no "User added Lights" in a Plan AFAIK ,

so looking from a Room without added lights into a room that does may seem okay , but other rooms may appear "dark"

M.

3 hours ago, glennw said:

In relation to your last picture, try this:

Open the camera dbx and go to the Camera panel>Lighting.

Is Automatic checked?

If so this will give you a default light (that you are missing).

You can check Light Set and unless you have any custom light sets, the Light Set will be Default Light Set which will not have Chiefs default light (which I think is what you are not seeing). 

Mick - I removed all the "User Added Lights"....it didn't make any difference.  See pics below...

Glenn - Automatic is checked...but I still don't get the light on the ceiling.  

Here is picture of bedroom...automatic is checked.  No light on ceiling.  All user added lights removed

2019-11-04_23-30-56.thumb.png.0e7e9060af39b4399500319556e880ca.png 2019-11-04_23-32-37.thumb.png.06add1e847c0111e1b5f4e9eb643d07a.png

Here is generic plan using the same template...automatic is checked and I get the ceiling light.

2019-11-04_23-29-50.thumb.png.bc56c1be6474a35fdd3a7a8e265245bd.png

perhaps share the plan in your other thread ( its not a nvidia problem apparently) so someone can have a look for you......

How many lights are in the Plan?  as I see your max is set at 60 ......that could be 1 rope light...... ( Re Cheryl's Thread )

M.