"Big Block" Look in stucco.

Doug_N

It has become somewhat of a fashion trend in my area for stucco work to take on the look of giant blocks.  

2019-11-04_8-45-21.thumb.png.b8c4e9fc26824d5c67f3005eee9bfd2f.png

What I am referring to is the look of the blocks around the arched entrance portico.  

Any suggestions for doing this?  Note that the edges of the blocks have bevels.

The bevels would be difficult. 

However, you can use a small "Wall Material Region" (transparent material) with "Cuts Surface Layers" to get a fair approximation.  

Another option is to use one or more Molding Polylines with several moldings stacked to add the Blocks outside of the wall finish layer.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Robert, That looks good but Is there a way to make that work for the arch and keystone ?

Sure, it can work for any situation if you're willing to create the necessary normal maps. Not easy, I agree, but possible.

EDIT: Maybe material regions (as Joe suggested) for the rustication joints with a normal map assigned to the material regions?

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

The bevels would be difficult. 

However, you can use a small "Wall Material Region" (transparent material) with "Cuts Surface Layers" to get a fair approximation.  

Another option is to use one or more Molding Polylines with several moldings stacked to add the Blocks outside of the wall finish layer.

Joe, I'm curious, could a molding poly line, (to the desired shape) converted to a custom back splash, with an added molding (applied to the)  edge be any simpler? Wouldn't that forgo the need for normal maps and the extra work?