Cable Railings on Stairs

Mintplanner

Thanks Robert, but I think Eric may be right.  I don't see the Panel option in the dialog box anywhere.  It's hard to believe Chief would have released this ability on a deck, but not the stairs (not to be mean).  I just wonder what Chief users did to represent the stair railings to match...?

6 hours ago, Mintplanner said:

Thanks Robert, but I think Eric may be right.  I don't see the Panel option in the dialog box anywhere.  It's hard to believe Chief would have released this ability on a deck, but not the stairs (not to be mean).  I just wonder what Chief users did to represent the stair railings to match...?

Turn off the Stair railings altogether and then draw your own Straight Railing , setting it to "Follow Stairs" , then change to panels etc  just like on the Deck Railing.

Mick.

18 minutes ago, Mintplanner said:

Mick,

I can Draw a Newel/Baluster, but I don't see an option to Draw a railing.  Am In in the right place?

Thanks,

Tim

Capture.PNG

No , just use a Straight Railing off the Railing Menu and define it per the Deck Railing along with setting it to "Follow Stairs" .

Turn the Railings OFF on the Stairs themselves in that DBX. (might be already by the looks?)

M.

14 minutes ago, Mintplanner said:

I keep revisiting this, but I just don't see it.  I don't have the Draw Railing feature.  I can draw a Newel/Baluster, but not Railings inside the stair dbx.

it's Under the Railing Menu Item next to the Wall Menus/Icons

image.thumb.png.01f02a9479e36721e9a76cbf8d5892b9.png

I appreciate your persistence!  I have tried using all room types, and now I'm using a Deck with a slab (it's a concrete stoop).  I have the deck railings set correctly and I'm using panels on the deck railings to achieve cable railings.  Inside railing defaults, I have selected the Rail Syle will be Panels and will Follow Stairs. I drew a landing in the basement to give the stairs a starting height of -60". 

Best I can tell, Draw Railing only makes the railings appear in plan view, which I don't want, but I'm playing along hoping to find a solution!  What am I missing?

Capture.PNG

Without the plan (and almost none of us have X7 installed) there's no way to know what you are doing wrong.

That said, try the following:

1. Draw a railing wall in the basement next to the stairs. 
  2. Move that railing wall so that it's main layer is on the stair. 
  3. Set the railing wall to "Follow Stair".

That should work.  If not, post the plan and maybe someone can do it for you.

BTW, why have you not upgraded since X7? 

X11 has much more capability.