Get Your House Right - Design Secrets

kylejmarsh

Do yourself a favor - get a copy of Get Your House Right.

It is a map through the thousand design decisions you'll be making as you design a house. It is a dictionary of the Architectural Vocabulary our predecessors worked to perfect and articulate, and is your key to taking your designs to the next level. 

You have to drive around this life and see houses designed by total amateurs, littering the neighborhoods and fields along the roadway - don't let your designs fall into this category.

You owe it to yourself to buy this book and study it.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.50.56 PM.png

11 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Do yourself a favor - get a copy of Get Your House Right.

It is a map through the thousand design decisions you'll be making as you design a house. It is a dictionary of the Architectural Vocabulary our predecessors worked to perfect and articulate, and is your key to taking your designs to the next level. 

You have to drive around this life and see houses designed by total amateurs, littering the neighborhoods and fields along the roadway - don't let your designs fall into this category.

You owe it to yourself to buy this book and study it.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.50.56 PM.png

This book is an invaluable design resource.  Filled with information that you just don't learn "off the street"...so to speak.  That said...unfortunately I feel the ship has sailed on good design...unless you have a client with deep pockets and a willingness to pay for "quality" over "quantity".  

It appears to me that home design is being driven by "quick hit" shows on HGTV...turning everyone into a design "expert".  Also...millions of giant, out of scale homes by large production builders....the modern "craftsman", "farmhouse" and "transitional" designs.  Lord...they are everywhere.  

If you design/draft home plans for a living you no doubt will occasionally have to swallow your design pride just a bit in order to stay employed.  You do have to make a living afterall...and I doubt few of your clients will know what a "cyma" is...nor will they care.  You know...they want their home to be just like the one Joanna Gaines did last week! ;)

• Upvote 1

Glad you like the book Steve - it's one of the best I've found as far as an intro to 'good design'. Once I started using the lessons in this book, it's led to bigger commissions, clients with better 'taste' (and deeper pockets), it's given me the confidence to educate clients away from bad ideas or 'trendy' whims... it's really been the key that has unlocked the golden door, so to speak.

I do agree there are a million giant, terrible houses built everywhere in our great country. I'm actually ok with doing different styles of houses, as long as they are done 'right' - this book helps lay out the pitfalls that are avoidable, and will improve the look of any house.

As for the mcmansions, may I direct you to another fun website - www.mcmansionhell.com. https://mcmansionhell.com

David -

Never new about that book, but have just ordered a copy. I see it's by another one of my favorite authors, Charlie Wing - who did the update/reissue of one of the greatest homebuilding books ever created (especially for a young me, when I read it, it was transformative) - Your Engineered House. Thanks for the recommendation.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, parkwest said:

The Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling