Automatic Centerline on Dimension

Cilenia

I have searched and searched and can't find an answer anywhere.  Seems like it should be logical.

So if you have an automatic dim or are dragging to add a new dim inline on a string, and it is going to a center or a window for example by picking the mid or center point... is there a way to set the dimensions to automatically show the centerline on the dimension?  It's a ROYAL pain to have to click on each dimension to update each window and door to show a centerline on the dim.   If there is no setting for this, there should be. ;) 

I've never seen it. But why bother? For windows/doors you don't really need to say it's the centerline do you it should be obvious to the framer. Only time I mark CL is with a cad object I made, and I mark CL for steel beams in the basement. But I've never had anybody complain that the CL isn't on my windows / doors, and that's how I dimension them on the drawings anyway (less liability than calling out RO's, plus often I don't know what windows they're going with).

Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't waste time on that.

I do agree with you that the framer should see it.  Just have a builder requesting it and I do many houses for him.  After these last two jobs and his silly requests, think it's time to start charging him more. LOL.  And TOTALLY agree to NEVER call out RO or even sides.  Even when I know who the manufacturer is.  Every carpenter frames slightly different.  I personally use 1/2" total when I'm building myself, but know many who use 1" or even worse.  Thanks for your reply!

You can use the Centerline Dimension tool.

Make sure you have opening centers checked in Locate Objects for Openings (or any other objects that you want to locate by centerlines) in the dimension defaults.

These are 2 examples using the Centerline Dimension tool to auto dimension to centers while dragging a new dimension line.

Locate Centers checked:

1165407387_NewImage_27.thumb.jpg.b66e5ae5efc65746b796290a769817ae.jpg

Locate Centers and Sides checked:

460431997_NewImage_28.thumb.jpg.81ab3dc59d34e0b5efd2e35bf6bcf77e.jpg

• Like 1

Ya, I've thought many many times over the years that it would be really nice if we had a quicker way to specify that any given extension line should be marked as a center line.  I use center line markers a lot myself and its definitely a pain to have to go in and out of dialog boxes to get one.  The Centerline Dimension tool works okay, but what if we want the functionality of one of the other dimension tools?  What if we only want the automated centerline behavior for one or 2 specific objects?  Or what if we've already dimensioned something and need to add a center line marker later?  It could certainly be made easier than it is.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cilenia said:

Yes Glenn, but it's not automatic when using Automatic Dimensions.  I've used this before also.

Automatic Dimensions will locate center lines OK, they are missing the centerline mark though.

This is an auto generated dimension with centerlines.

New Image_29.jpg