PBR VS Raytracing

Designer1

13 hours ago, robdyck said:

Of course there's a learning curve with PBR but I really don't have any 'setup' time anymore. Almost everything just got 'dropped in'. All my settings, and scene conditions are saved either in defaults or in my library. I didn't spend even 15 minutes on this; the only things not part of the actual plan are the plants, the car, the fence. Those 3 things took less than 2 minutes to add. Interestingly enough, I find PBR more predictable that RT. If I were being paid extra for a rendering for a home, I'd use RT or outsource to someone proficient with Lumion, or Twinmotion or Thea. However, in my market, my clients don't want to spend anything extra on 3d. That leaves me with a choice: I could tell them that I can't deliver any renderings without additional fees, or I can learn how to deliver (what I think are better than acceptable) renderings for virtually no additional time and exceed their expectations.

And I'll point out that visualization is the claim, not photorealism. I'm in Alberta so photorealism would require a jacked up F350 and I haven't yet found a 3d model of a truck that truly meets my redneck expectations!

Perhaps you should post an example of an exterior RT that one could be proud of and elaborate on the camera, lighting and RT settings you use.

Rob,

Would you be willing to post some of your settings for those of us who haven't embarked on PBR yet?  If not I understand as sometimes the secret recipes of chiefs tools are for each user to figure out. 

Sun = 1.5 Lux. There is one spot light behind the camera 50' from building face set @650 Lumens with shadows turned off.

PBR DBX, Camera Expose = 1.0, Hue = 0, Saturation = 0, Brightness = 100.

436536378_Final2.thumb.jpg.6cf06840c44d6928e69432ceed357854.jpg

The PBR DBX above is my standard start settings. Sun is rarely more than 5 lux. My typical recessed spot light is between 30-50 Lumens. Point lights are usually less than 10 lumens.

Thanks Cheryl and Graham. Wow what beautiful renderings!  Its nice to get some advice from the pros that have been using pbr for awhile just so us newbies on pbr can avoid some of the mishaps.  It will be interesting to see quick results vs waiting for the raytrace.  Im just happy the new raytrace engine back a few versions is so much better then in years past with the checkerboard background where you couldn't even see your image till it already ran for awhile.   At least now you can stop and make adjustments before investing too much time.  So this pbr thing will be even better.

Thanks again for all the recommendations!

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks Cheryl and Graham. Wow what beautiful renderings!  Its nice to get some advice from the pros that have been using pbr for awhile just so us newbies on pbr can avoid some of the mishaps.  It will be interesting to see quick results vs waiting for the raytrace.  Im just happy the new raytrace engine back a few versions is so much better then in years past with the checkerboard background where you couldn't even see your image till it already ran for awhile.   At least now you can stop and make adjustments before investing too much time.  So this pbr thing will be even better.

Thanks again for all the recommendations!

You can always hire your Bay Area neighbor to do renderings for you and save you some time and maybe money :)

364959958_CHINCONTEMPORARY.thumb.jpg.abd0d764e2a2e7169d776c8ee4b2e907.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

You can always hire your Bay Area neighbor to do renderings for you and save you some time and maybe money :)

364959958_CHINCONTEMPORARY.thumb.jpg.abd0d764e2a2e7169d776c8ee4b2e907.jpg

Haha!  Your probably right Rene!  All us bay area chiefers should get together once in awhile and see what everyones specialty is in the industry so we have help and can refer people to each other.  Your not far from San Jose at all!  By the way... your rendering looks great!  Did you do that in pbr or raytrace?

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Haha!  Your probably right Rene!  All us bay area chiefers should get together once in awhile and see what everyones specialty is in the industry so we have help and can refer people to each other.  Your not far from San Jose at all!  By the way... your rendering looks great!  Did you do that in pbr or raytrace?

I would certainly be up for a meet and greet, great idea.

I use a third party software that thrives on number of cores, gigs of RAM and number of CUDA cores..the reason for my ridiculous machine in my signature

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:15 AM, Renerabbitt said:

I would certainly be up for a meet and greet, great idea.

I use a third party software that thrives on number of cores, gigs of RAM and number of CUDA cores..the reason for my ridiculous machine in my signature

Yeah your computer sounds more like a space ship then a computer!  So with all the high numbers does chief ever lag if you load a huge project or does it just hum along with zero lag?  im going to upgrade my computer soon.  I always buy a really big expensive one then wait a long while before replacing, so its getting close to the time im going to look for another new one.

I used to use the "Final View" tool for quick images...and I had been happy with that.
Is there something I need to do to process/activate a PBR after I set the camera defaults?  Because when I open the camera view that is designated PBR, it doesn't look any different than a standard render/camera view.

I am watching this video right now:
https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/physically-based-rendering-technique.html

Hopefully it will help....

edit....
after I watched that video clip.  I still see no difference, not even when I adjust Camera Exposure. I must be missing something. My PBR camera view looks just like a standard camera view

25 minutes ago, ChiefChris1 said:

I am not understanding...and I have to be missing something somewhere.  But, I see no difference between my standard camera and PBR camera.  There is no light (I have lights in the view).  There is no sun.  When I adjust the PBR view technique settings, I see no difference. 

Totally missing something somewhere....probably something that I have set as a default that I am not thinking about.

23 minutes ago, ChiefChris1 said:

after I watched that video clip.  I still see no difference, not even when I adjust Camera Exposure. I must be missing something. My PBR camera view looks just like a standard camera view

It sounds like you might not be switching the Camera Rendering Type to PBR from Standard after shooting the Camera? by Default the Camera is usually in STD view , then you can change the Rendering Type 

image.thumb.png.12d56c5711bdccc300ea745a20ccc7dc.png  image.thumb.png.3c863bb26de7fff3256e2a0be8d6c8fe.png

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It sounds like you might not be switching the Camera Rendering Type to PBR from Standard after shooting the Camera? by Default the Camera is usually in STD view , then you can change the Rendering Type 

Pretty sure I did that right.

This is the ACTIVE CAMERA settings:
image.thumb.png.fd392d7f41388c88c4466c660b32dd27.png

And, right now, my PBR settings are the default. 

image.thumb.png.e9ef83854acff791b2ca1fea0863c94c.png

If I toggle back and forth from standard to PBR with the view open, I see nothing change.  I can see obvious changes when I go to vector view, glass house etc.  But I see no difference with standard & PBR.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Try .4 Exposure and turn on Improve Lighting Quality

I also bump the Brightness to 70-80 for interiors  ---a tip from Graham 

Thanks.
Should I see something change in my display immediately?  Because, that's not happening.
OR, is there a "make final PBR" type tool?

2 hours ago, ChiefChris1 said:

Thanks.
Should I see something change in my display immediately?  Because, that's not happening.

Not for the Default setting changes as they won't apply to existing cameras , you will need to open/shoot new cameras for the new Defaults,

The Settings under Rendering Technique change pretty instantly though , these can also be setup in Defaults once you find settings you like, so when you switch to PBR from STD you are close to what you like.

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Not for the Default setting changes as they won't apply to existing cameras , you will need to open/shoot new cameras for the new Defaults

Perhaps that is what confused me...because in the Chief Demo video I watched, as she talked and changed settings (lighting, exposure etc) in the camera setting with the view open, it changed live.

saving a JPG of the display

This....... I don't remember the "Make this...tool" in a recent version of Chief ?

In the video She likely has the Defaults already setup , then she changes some settings in the Render Tech. which are live/instant, been a year since I watched that video so not quite sure what She did now....

M.

Thanks.

Post your Plan if you are still having Issues so someone can have a look for you..... always the best advice since there are just too many variables.

M.

11 hours ago, ChiefChris1 said:

Perhaps that is what confused me...because in the Chief Demo video I watched, as she talked and changed settings (lighting, exposure etc) in the camera setting with the view open, it changed live.

Turn on shadows. Adjust sunlight. Boom!