How can one put railings OUTBOARD deck or stair lines?

GeneDavis

9 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

See the pics.

My preferred method is to build the railing to spec in a separate plan and than add to library as a symbol and place at the edge of a deck with no rail...Less fuss and no chance of it getting screwed up later..and I think it's faster

I'm a Sketchup guy, so I tried it the easy way, for me, after failing to understand how to do the invisible layer and offsetting the rail.

Here's a repeating symbol popped in at 48" intervals.  I can readily edit the SU model as needed to do special spacings at corners and ends.

2019-10-25_1427.png

2019-10-25_1436.png

35 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

after failing to understand how to do the invisible layer and offsetting the rail

doesn't look like you need it but for those without Sketchup Skills this is probably the best thread to check out for the Invisible wall Methods, ( there are two ways ), Extra wall Layer and and an extra invisible wall, there are some example Plans to check out too.

For you perfectionists in 3D, here's a couple symbols that can be used to replicate my setup, and gives you a true as-built corner.

I used CableRail on a house I built, and still have the hat Feeney shipped with my order.

You can mirror-image them and place stretch planes, to make a useful set of R and L straights and corners.

2019-10-25_2050.png

Cable rail post corner R.skp

Cable rail post L end.skp

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

For you perfectionists in 3D, here's a couple symbols that can be used to replicate my setup, and gives you a true as-built corner.

I used CableRail on a house I built, and still have the hat Feeney shipped with my order.

You can mirror-image them and place stretch planes, to make a useful set of R and L straights and corners.

2019-10-25_2050.png

Cable rail post corner R.skp

Cable rail post L end.skp

Thanks Gene , did you mean to attach the 4ft section you made above to go with these ? or did I miss it somewhere?

M.

Images of the two SKP models, highlighted to accent everything.  I imported each into Chief, set stretch planes, saved, then mirror imaged, did save-as opposite hand of each.  The straight is a 4' module.  The corner reaches 4' from the post with the cable runs.  I used three different colors so it can be textured the way one wants.  My detail calls out for the posts as PT SYP lumber, likewise the 2x4 top stretcher, with the 1"x5-1/2" top rail as ipe.

2019-10-25_2248.png

2019-10-25_2249.png

14 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Images of the two SKP models, highlighted to accent everything.  I imported each into Chief, set stretch planes, saved, then mirror imaged, did save-as opposite hand of each.  The straight is a 4' module.  The corner reaches 4' from the post with the cable runs.  I used three different colors so it can be textured the way one wants.  My detail calls out for the posts as PT SYP lumber, likewise the 2x4 top stretcher, with the 1"x5-1/2" top rail as ipe.

Thanks Gene, nicely done, I misunderstood what the two .skp files were, I thought they was the left and right corners without the straight 4' part above.

M.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, GeneDavis said:

See the pics.  I prefer deck railings done with newels fastened to the outboard face of framing, or for stairs, outboard the stringers.

Is this possible?

2019-10-25_1309.png

2019-10-25_1310.png

2019-10-25_1313.png

Just FYI...I've done a number of videos on this type of deck rails...take a look, maybe they will help you out.