Wall Material Region for Ceiling

ChiefMikla

I am trying to apply a different material to part of a ceiling.  It is a bathroom and I want to apply a tile to the part of the ceiling above the shower only and the rest of the ceiling will be drywall.  Something like the Build==>Wall Material Region, but for the ceiling.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

A few possibilities would be to make the shower it's own room or use a manual ceiling plane or a carefully placed p-solid. It depends a bit on the exact method of construction.  Post a few screen shots or the plan file if you need more ideas.

I currently have a glass wall with a glass door to separate the shower (they are combined with two partial walls for the privacy wall and threshold.  The problem is I the tile on the ceiling will end at the glass wall and I need it to line up with the tile on the walls.  Ignore the finish for now, it is just something quick I did to show my problem.

2019-10-22_15-34-34.jpg

2019-10-22_15-33-48.jpg

2019-10-22_15-35-34.jpg

Just do a p'solid or slab on the ceiling surface, just as the tile setter will do.  That section of ceiling will be sheeted not with drywall but with cement board, at least that is what my experience with builds has been.

You place it where you want and make its material the same tile as the walls.  And you don't mess with room specs.

15 minutes ago, solver said:

You can draw a Floor Material Region, then move it to the ceiling.

ct1.thumb.png.7c389a97b7cccd70fa09c73e2ea9a908.png

Not to be contradictory, but in my experience material regions generate quite a bit slower than p-solids. Both objects have their pros and cons, but I find material regions to cause a fair amount of slowness. Cheryl makes a great point if you're planning to develop your design with even more detail.

Excellent thoughts... I appreciate all the input.  I like the idea of a soffit so I can add lights.  Then I can change the walls to a p-solid.  This would allow me to make the edge as a separate color, as I will be using a brushed nickel edge strip on the tile.

Thanks!

For photorealistic trueness, that Schluter metal trim will be drawn in 2D and placed with a 3D molding polyline.

Check my 3D Warehouse page for the hinges you will need for that 1/2" frameless shower door.

When I was learning Chief, I took a house I had just built, an architectural masterpiece of detail, trim, curves, stone, and fixtures, and modeled it all to be 3D true.

It's all worth doing if you enjoy it, but the clients rarely appreciate it, if they even see it.  I recently did a kitchen work-up, all the appliances and fixtures matching owner specs, came here to the forum to help solve my issue with an open-front wall cabinet.  Specifically called it out in my drawings and the rendering submitted.

Her reply, "can I have that open-front wall cabinet we discussed?"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChiefMikla said:

I am trying to apply a different material to part of a ceiling.  It is a bathroom and I want to apply a tile to the part of the ceiling above the shower only and the rest of the ceiling will be drywall.  Something like the Build==>Wall Material Region, but for the ceiling.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

One more possible solution.  

make the glass shower wall “no room definition”.  Then use the “wall divider” and draw a wall just beyond the glass wall...maybe 3-4”.  Then the shower room ceiling will extend past the glass wall.  Of course the floor will also - but you can use a floor material region to adjust where the shower floor stops.  

I think the simplest solution is to use a soffit as suggested by Cheryl. Just make it 1/2" or 5/8" height to reflect the tile thickness. It automatically attaches to the underside of the ceiling and if you are putting in a recessed light the light will auto place properly. If the ceiling area to be tiled is not square or rectangular then a p-solid is easy to do and it can be adjusted to any desired shape.

18 hours ago, solver said:

You can draw a Floor Material Region, then move it to the ceiling.

ct1.thumb.png.7c389a97b7cccd70fa09c73e2ea9a908.png

Eric - How do you move a floor material region...I have tried "transform replicate"...it doesn't budge.  Inquiring minds want to know! :huh:

And here's why I don't like soffits for this application.

image.thumb.png.c9c912d70bc787560473195166bfc7f8.png

I'd rather use a psolid for the ceiling, and make a room molding for the crown. A light still works, you just need to offset it. These items are faster IMO than messing around with soffits, material regions, etc. But as mentioned, there's often many ways to skin a cat!

image.thumb.png.d8b69a67000c1d0997caefeeebb328a9.pngimage.thumb.png.0420e8c8e3f5001eb0c6316e1acec373.png

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

And here's why I don't like soffits for this application.

image.thumb.png.c9c912d70bc787560473195166bfc7f8.png

I'd rather use a psolid for the ceiling, and make a room molding for the crown. A light still works, you just need to offset it. These items are faster IMO than messing around with soffits, material regions, etc. But as mentioned, there's often many ways to skin a cat!

image.thumb.png.d8b69a67000c1d0997caefeeebb328a9.pngimage.thumb.png.0420e8c8e3f5001eb0c6316e1acec373.png

What if anything happens if you drag the soffit about 6” past the shower walls...

17 hours ago, SNestor said:

What if anything happens if you drag the soffit about 6” past the shower walls...

I don't know...and that's why I don't like it in this instance. In the example above, I have 2 soffits to create the lowered ceiling, because it needs to wrap around the corner and a soffit can't have a break. On the short side, the soffit isn't being cut by the wall, but on the door side, the soffits are being cut by the wall, even though they're touching in plan view. I have no issue with the soffit tool, but its behavior here suggest to me it's not quite right for this application. I just like using the tools where I know what's drawn in plan view will give me the desired result. It skips the messing around. I'm not saying it can't be done with a soffit, but why hunt for all the various checkboxes until you get the desired result, when there's quicker, simpler, more predictable options. I just like the quickness of creating a room polyline, convert to psolid, open and define, done. For the bath, create room molding for the crown, and perfect, predictable edge control.