Terrain Hole Question

Joe_Carrick

I place a s Symbol (or a Building) in an area where there's a Terrain Feature (Sidewalk, Driveway or Stepping Stone) it cuts a hole in the Terrain.  However, the reported area of the Terrain Feature doesn't reflect the change caused by the hole. 

Shouldn't that are be reported as reduced? 

11 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Does the terrain feature produce a new polyline showing the new hole?

No, it just hides the Terrain and of course the Terrain Feature at that location.  Basically it graphically removes them where the Symbol or Building exists.  From a logical standpoint It seems to me that the area should be reduced by the size of the object.

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

No, it just hides the Terrain and of course the Terrain Feature at that location.  Basically it graphically removes them where the Symbol or Building exists.  From a logical standpoint It seems to me that the area should be reduced by the size of the object.

At least there should be a choice for anything that creates a hole to generate a new polyline in the cut object. The way I use features and holes and then report the areas, the new area would create a bit of a problem. I currently create my terrain much larger than the lot, and use a terrain feature as the lot perimeter and its area is part of a table. Obviously that feature is cut by several items like a terrain hole, a driveway etc. 

Perhaps it should offer the boundary area, and the area of hole(s) separately in its dbx?

I use a Polyline ( P/L LineStyle ) for my lot boundary --> Property Area

I use a Polyline ( S/B LineStyle ) for my setbacks --> Buildable Area

Other Polylines ( Named Layers ) define various object types.  I also use the demolition, existing and new (my own creation) to identify how building areas are to be treated.

I have a single macro in the Polyline Labels that accumulate the areas into a Hash which is then accessed by several other macros to display the data in tables with totals.

• Upvote 1