Why aren't framing members being counted for material list?

GeneDavis

I have fully framed the job, and am testing to see what the material list produces for quantities.

All interior wall studs are either precut 9' or 8', thus 94 5/8" or 104 5/8".  It is not counting any interior wall studs or plates.  Yes, I have the walls turned on.

I'm set to mixed in structural reporting.  For 2x4 and 2x6, I have deleted all lengths except the precut 8 and 9 lengths and 16-footers.

I try a material list polyline to calculate just one wall.  No plates, no studs.

What's up with this?

Not really sure if this may or may not be a factor as I have been having difficulties understanding the Manual recently and how it relates to functionality of the software.

Calculate Materials From Selection:
Select one or more objects and click the Calculate Materials From Selection edit button to create a Materials List that calculates only the selected objects and their components.
When the selected object is a room, its moldings and wall, floor, and ceiling finish materials are counted, as is its subflooring; but doors, windows, and structural materials like framing and other structural materials are not.

This may be a bug or just something I don't understand. :(

Actually I just gave the Materials List Polyline and the Calculate Materials in Area tools and they both seem to work.  So it must be something in Preferences that is different as I did not change any plan settings.

Gene,  Are you including your Wall Details in the documentation ?   I often do a Framing Schedule for each wall detail on a complicated build as it gives a positive verification of exactly where the material is being used.  Just another option if the Material List is not going to be effective.

Hi Gene,

You made a new Layer for Interior Walls and you have turned off the ML Reporting for your Walls,Normal Interior Layer , turn it back on in the ALDO and I think all will be well.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.c4e5da4008450f597e06b371fafe7e81.png image.thumb.png.5f083fce3c51b6b98c249cd804637142.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

When the selected object is a room, its moldings and wall, floor, and ceiling finish materials are counted, as is its subflooring; but doors, windows, and structural materials like framing and other structural materials are not.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Actually I just gave the Materials List Polyline and the Calculate Materials in Area tools and they both seem to work.  So it must be something in Preferences that is different as I did not change any plan settings.

The Room ML only includes items inside the drywall line of the Room  , hence studs etc are not included.  ( furniture and finishes are AFAIK though)

M.