default setting not changing walls

carlac

When I change my exterior walls in default settings from siding to stucco and hit ok the walls do not change.  I have reset the default settings and tried again but nothing changes.  Can someone tell me what might be the problem.  Thank you and I am new to this software. carla

Hi Eric,   Thanks for the video.  It seems you are changing the wall type where it seems the OP is changing the wall material.  Changing the wall material works for me but changing the wall type breaks the default connection.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Where -- Material Defaults, or Exterior Wall Defaults?

Nothing I change will change existing walls.

I had the same thought , ie that Carla was talking about Wall-types not materials , your Video is pretty much my experience too....

For Carla and other Readers :

The only way I know to change "In Plan" existing walls is to Change the actual Wall definition for that particular Wall-type and then (preferably) Rename it.

ie : Open the Siding 6 Wall definition and Change the Siding Layer  (1) to the Stucco of your Choice , then Click Rename , at the top and rename the Wall to say Stucco Wall 6   (so it doesn't conflict with CA's Default Stucco 6 wall)

The downside is you no longer have a Siding 6 in Plan if you need it and will need to remake it if needed. ( do opposite of above )

edit *** see Chopsaw's Video above***

If this doesn't work , then see Javatom's advise above, I see this issue all the time with Exterior Walls, Others have used the Paint Can Tool on, so I can't recommend that Practice at all.

Mick.

48 minutes ago, solver said:

Editing the Wall Definition has always worked. Just seems silly that changing to a new wall type does not (what's the difference?).

I agree it is silly , but I am not sure why they do it, except perhaps as a "safety" feature so Users don't accidentally change all the walls for a house when all the want to do is use a different Wall-type, say for an Addition.

It would perhaps be a Good Suggestion to have a Toggle-able Option in the Defaults to all Change all existing Walls to the New Wall-type.

M.