Q: How do I create a live, updating table that reads from the material list totals?

para-CAD

The Ruby boys may be able to do something for you.

The main problem is the materials list is not dynamic and needs to be regenerate after a change in the model.

You may get some of the functionality you want by using shedules, but I don't think there is a schedule that will include roof sheeting.

Glenn's right.  It requires some Ruby macros.

I have a set of macro's that get and display the areas of each roof planes.  It wouldn't be very difficult for me to modify and display the data as you want. I would probably store the output in a CAD Detail but it could be sent to Layout on any page you want.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, para-CAD said:

It it even possible to create a data table on a layout page that presents numbers or calculated results from numbers that are in the material list.....that live update as the model changes?

MATERIAL LIST FUNCTIONALITY.pdf

At first glance, it seems odd to add the waste factor to a material list (unless it is for your own use) as that would / could vary greatly depending on the skill and care of the tradesperson. 

I think its fairly standard estimating practice to add in an assumed waste % isn't it?

At first glance, it seems odd to add the waste factor to a material list (unless it is for your own use) as that would / could vary greatly depending on the skill and care of the tradesperson. 

13 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

I think its fairly standard estimating practice to add in an assumed waste % isn't it?

I hear you. However, If I were providing material lists to my clients, it would be the exact amounts, with a note that waste and overages are not included. I'd suggest that providing a material list is different than providing a material estimate. If the overage is very clearly shown, then it makes sense. But how much overage do you allow for foundation concrete? Will the footings be pumped? Will the pump already be primed from an earlier job? Have the footings been setup accurately or a bit on the sloppy side? How neat was the excavation? Is the excavation base +/- 1/2" or was the ground rocky or clumpy and the base is +/- 4"? 

I could go on but my point is that it makes sense to me to show the materials as accurate as the plan / model and allow trades and suppliers to add in their overages based on their experience and practice. Exact lists as per the model work for everyone, estimates need to be 'personalized'.

• Upvote 1

Being that I know how these buildings are framed, I can GUARANTEE that exact never works.  Now, I always present EXACT to my client builders with a huge caveat.  "THESE NUMBERS ARE THEORETICALLY EXACT.  YOU WILL NEED TO ADD OVERAGES BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND PAST PERFORMANCE OF YOUR CREW."  Or something like that.

Adding one sheet per plane is my way of rounding up for SF amounts that have a remainder. 

Instead of rounding up 1 sheet over the entire roof area, I round up 1 sheet per calculated plane.  Even that is low, since the horizontal rips at the top or bottom waste a few extra sheets.  Typically 10 - 15% is overage on hip roofs, less for truss/gable-ish ones.  And the bastard hips....they burn plywood with the dual angles.  Fun. Fun.

Some Memphis builders still use staggered 1x10 white pine in place of plywood.  Very killer.