What's that edit that does curved arrow lines?

GeneDavis

No, not the spline.  I cannot remember how I did it, but when annotating CAD details, instead of doing the straight out then angle down arrow, I could first draw the straight out arrow, then grab it in edit mode to have a tangent curve go from the point to wherever I wanted, and there would be my new point.

It is the arrow edit the trainer uses at mark 1:37 in this Chief training video.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5319/cad-line-editing-leader-line-arrow-heads.html?playlist=97

What are the mouse and keyboard moves to do this in X11?

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Holding control with the alt key while dragging the arrow handle is an extra special trick.. try it out :)

What do you mean by the "arrow handle"?  And what's it supposed to do good sir?  Doesn't seem to do anything unexpected on my end with ANY of the edit handles. 

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

What do you mean by the "arrow handle"?  And what's it supposed to do good sir?  Doesn't seem to do anything unexpected on my end with ANY of the edit handles. 

It gives you continuous arrow segment drawing. Each click and drag continues an arrow polyline whereas without it, drawing an arrow gives a single segment. This would be handy in a detailing situation where the text might be positioned first, without any arrows, in order to simplify alignment. Then, segment arrows can be added. 

I'm not sure it saves any clicks or steps, but it is good to know! @Renerabbitt must have some situations where he finds it valuable. Maybe Rene will elaborate...

8 hours ago, robdyck said:

It gives you continuous arrow segment drawing. Each click and drag continues an arrow polyline whereas without it, drawing an arrow gives a single segment. This would be handy in a detailing situation where the text might be positioned first, without any arrows, in order to simplify alignment. Then, segment arrows can be added. 

I'm not sure it saves any clicks or steps, but it is good to know! @Renerabbitt must have some situations where he finds it valuable. Maybe Rene will elaborate...

Still not sure what the "arrow handle" is.  And what you described is simply continuous draw mode.  it works that way with lines, arcs, splines, walls, etc. but doesn't require the control key.  It simply requires that you start drawing with the right mouse button or while holding the alt key.  Still not sure what exactly you guys are talking about with the "arrow handle" and holding both Control and Alt.

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Still not sure what the "arrow handle" is.  And what you described is simply continuous draw mode.  it works that way with lines, arcs, splines, walls, etc. but doesn't require the control key.  It simply requires that you start drawing with the right mouse button or while holding the alt key.  Still not sure what exactly you guys are talking about with the "arrow handle" and holding both Control and Alt.

Hey, I'm trying to figure it out too! And I think I figured it out...select an arrow or line, then select the end of the arrow segment while using ctrl alt, and it allows you to drag a curve.

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Hey, I'm trying to figure it out too! And I think I figured it out...select an arrow or line, then select the end of the arrow segment while using ctrl alt, and it allows you to drag a curve.

That's the functionality we were talking about with the first 2 posts and like I said in the second post, it only requires the alt key or right mouse button.  What Rene was talking about was something different.

19 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That's the functionality we were talking about with the first 2 posts and like I said in the second post, it only requires the alt key or right mouse button.  What Rene was talking about was something different.

The handle at the arrow's end of a CAD segment is what I was referring to, and holding down ctrl while either holding the right mouse or the alt key disables angle snaps.

in other words, OOTB I believe angle snaps are enabled in preferences at 15 degree increments per plan defaults and your arc will snap to 15 degrees as you try and place your arc per the referenced method of right click or alt. Pressing down control temporarily disables angle snaps so that you can place the end of your segment anywhere that pleases you.

9 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

The handle at the arrow's end of a CAD segment is what I was referring to, and holding down ctrl while either holding the right mouse or the alt key disables angle snaps.

Ah, that's what I meant then when I said that it "doesn't seem to do anything unexpected".  Holding down the control key to override snaps is a pretty common and standard practice and it matters not what handle, what tool, or what mode you're drawing in.  The control key just overrides all snaps. 

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Ah, that's what I meant then when I said that it "doesn't seem to do anything unexpected".  Holding down the control key to override all snaps is a pretty common and standard practice. 

I figured it may help someone else less superman-ish :)

I actually can't think of an instance where I would want an arrow to snap to an angle, but I typically draft on 11x17 and am trying to stuff info anywhere I can. Alt+ctrl is actually a button on my CA MIDI controller...less hand cramps.

59 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I figured it may help someone else less superman-ish

Well, I'm a little disappointed.  The way you worded your post sounded like you had a super extremely cool secret to share.  I kinda feel like it was false advertising and that you owe me an extremely cool secret Chief trick now.   

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Well, I'm a little disappointed.  The way you worded your post sounded like you had a super extremely cool secret to share.  I kinda feel like it was false advertising and that you owe me an extremely cool secret Chief trick now.   

Not sure I know of any tricks that you don't already know(I think you should make an obscure tricks thread.)

Here's one maybe,

You can replace referenced texture files for materials in the main/bonus/manufactured libraries by re-zipping the referenced texture source file with your own so long as the referenced source replaces the original with the same name. Useful in a multi-office environment looking for better textures with maybe a few less library sync issues.

maybe another but I'm guessing you know that library symbols can carry macros.