The "right way" to build a safe room wall type

Evolution

The owner of this one, has decided he needs a safe room so I turned his master closet into a MC/Safe room.  I modeled the walls to have the brick veneer exterior, air gap, insul, sheathing, 2X4 Studs, 8"CMU 2X2 furring and drywall interior layer for the exterior walls, the interior drywall, studs, 8"CMU 2X2 furring and drywall the way it would be built in the  real world.  It appears CA X11 wasn't happy with me doing it this way, as now each time I do anything at all inside the plan I get an error message, time between plan changes has increased considerably, as will as the changes not taking place until I tab out and back in.   I' sure how X11 wanted me to model the wall?  Is there a "correct way" and I didn't do it that way?  Plan file attached if you can look at it. I haven't added the second floor yet, as I still have some plan changes on 1 to make, and he's changed some walls to 2X6. The last time I attempted to do a 3D perspective I got the error message and decided to shut things down and start back tomorrow.  Maybe the soft ware will not be mad at me tomorrow!

YARBRO_RESIDENCE_ADDITION.plan

ERROR MESSAGE NO MATTER WHAT.png

ERROR MESSAGE.png

PLAN SAFE ROOM.png

As a general rule, SEH error messages are very bad things and you should never ignore them.

Using the Send Report button can help us to diagnose these problems but it is not nearly as helpful as reporting this problem directly to technical support. Sending us the plan files along with instructions for how to reproduce the problem can really make a huge difference in giving us the ability to find and fix the problem.

I went ahead and downloaded your posted plan and it does not give me any error messages.  There can be a lot of reasons for this but I will give you some of the most common ones.

First, if you have not done this already, you need to get and install the latest update.  You should be using version 21.3.11.  If you are still using an older version, then you do not have all of the fixes that we have put into the program to prevent these kinds of problems.

Next, if you are frequently experiencing SEH error messages in multiple plans, and mostly when creating camera views, then the most likely cause of the problems is your video card.  You should try updating your video card drivers to see if this improves.  It is also be possible that you are having other system problems but these are less likely and harder to diagnose.  If you have not rebooted your computer since experiencing these problems, then you probably should.

For more information about SEH error messages, you might want to read this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00802/troubleshooting-exception-and-assertion-error-messages.html

And lastly, if all else fails, you should contact our technical support team for more help.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Safe rooms are generally not on exterior walls.

Have you considered using 2 walls instead of one? Leave the exterior wall as is and create a new wall to define the safe room. I think there is a furred option that may or may not apply.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

First, if you have not done this already, you need to get and install the latest update.  You should be using version 21.3.11.  If you are still using an older version, then you do not have all of the fixes that we have put into the program to prevent these kinds of problems.

I have been putting off uploading the update because  few had posted they started having computer crashes and other issue after installing the latest update......but I’ll bite the bullet and do it tomorrow.  Last attempt at updating video card driver said I the latest VC driver.

I hadn’t  gotten the SEH error message until I added the special wall I modeled for the safe room. Maybe it is associated with the video card on my machine, since the others that opened the plan file didn’t get the error message?

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

I have been putting off uploading the update because  few had posted they started having computer crashes and other issue after installing the latest update......but I’ll bite the bullet and do it tomorrow.  Last attempt at updating video card driver said I the latest VC driver.

I hadn’t  gotten the SEH error message until I added the special wall I modeled for the safe room. Maybe it is associated with the video card on my machine, since the others that opened the plan file didn’t get the error message?

Also still running version 21.2.0 for the time being and no errors with the plan or 3D.  Also noticed the irregular wall intersections in your screen shots are not showing.  likely need to look at your setup if it happens tomorrow again.

55 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Also still running version 21.2.0 for the time being and no errors with the plan or 3D.  Also noticed the irregular wall intersections in your screen shots are not showing.  likely need to look at your setup if it happens tomorrow again.

Chop, I think Rene had posted the first time about issues he had since downloading the update. The reason I hadn’t updated yet. I’ll wait at least until I work on this plan a little more to see if I have any new SEH error messages.

12 hours ago, Dermot said:

As a general rule, SEH error messages are very bad things and you should never ignore them.

Using the Send Report button can help us to diagnose these problems but it is not nearly as helpful as reporting this problem directly to technical support. Sending us the plan files along with instructions for how to reproduce the problem can really make a huge difference in giving us the ability to find and fix the problem.

I went ahead and downloaded your posted plan and it does not give me any error messages.  There can be a lot of reasons for this but I will give you some of the most common ones.

Next, if you are frequently experiencing SEH error messages in multiple plans, and mostly when creating camera views, then the most likely cause of the problems is your video card.  You should try updating your video card drivers to see if this improves.  It is also be possible that you are having other system problems but these are less likely and harder to diagnose.  If you have not rebooted your computer since experiencing these problems, then you probably should.

For more information about SEH error messages, you might want to read this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00802/troubleshooting-exception-and-assertion-error-messages.html

And lastly, if all else fails, you should contact our technical support team for more help.

Dermot, when the update first came out a few folks reported issues they started having , that’s the reason I have waited to update. I don’t suppose you’ve seen any new posts regarding the latest update?

Thanks for sharing a copy of your plan. I downloaded it and opened, created several camera views and overviews with NO error messages. The plan file navigated normally, no slows. Since you did not add terrain, I have no opinion on the location of the "Safe Room". Commonly, safe rooms are interior rooms that protect one's family from intruders and or the weather, being an interior room adds additional layers of protection for loved ones.

DJP

52 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Thanks for sharing a copy of your plan. I downloaded it and opened, created several camera views and overviews with NO error messages. The plan file navigated normally, no slows. Since you did not add terrain, I have no opinion on the location of the "Safe Room". Commonly, safe rooms are interior rooms that protect one's family from intruders and or the weather, being an interior room adds additional layers of protection for loved ones.

DJP

True, but I didn't choose the location.....the Owner did. He's very picky about the front elevation of the home continuing the aesthetic of the (his Mom and Dad's Home) existing home, even to making sure the living room fire place and window wall is spaced from the existing home so that from the road you have a "rhythm" continuing from the elevation of the existing home out to the garage of the new addition (as viewed from the main highway:)). How can you argue with that? 

Thanks for your input David.

• Upvote 1

Dermot, when the update first came out a few folks reported issues they started having , that’s the reason I have waited to update. I don’t suppose you’ve seen any new posts regarding the latest update?

I am not aware of any new issues in the latest update.  If some people are aware of problems and did not report them to our tech support team, then we would not know about them and they are unlikely to get fixed. 

Every single time we release an update, someone reports a "new" problem with the update.  Most of the time, they are mistaken.  Usually, the problem is a system problem unrelated to the update or a pre-existing problem that was there before the update.  Every once in a while, there is a new problem in an update and we usually post a quick fix for this as soon as we are able. 

There was a new problem in the 21.3.0 update and it was corrected in the 21.3.1 update that has been available since August.  A full list of what was corrected in the 21.3 update can be found here:

At this time, we are not planning on any additional updates for X11 unless we find a very serious problem. 

There is no reason to put off getting the latest update.
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Steven Green, here is what I found

DJP

Thanks, David. I tried to duplicate the odd behavior in one of my own plans but was unsuccessful. However, i did discover that eliminating the outermost exterior wall layer on Bob's plan solved the problem. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 7.39.30 AM.png

3 hours ago, StephenGreene said:

Thanks, David. I tried to duplicate the odd behavior in one of my own plans but was unsuccessful. However, i did discover that eliminating the outermost exterior wall layer on Bob's plan solved the problem. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 7.39.30 AM.png

Nice work Stephen.   Intriguing observation but it seems that it is not the number of layers or the thickness but the outermost layer that Bob used does not have a texture source and it's General Material setting is 35% transparent, therefore appears almost transparent in standard view.  It is the outermost layer that wraps so this is very important.  If there is a bug here it would be that not all the layers are wrapping but that may be done by Chief behind the scene to reduce surface counts of the overall model.

The question would be for Bob as to why this was done rather than blending the brick texture ?

23 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Steven Green, here is what I found

DJP

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Nice work Stephen.   Intriguing observation but it seems that it is not the number of layers or the thickness but the outermost layer that Bob used does not have a texture source and it's General Material setting is 35% transparent, therefore appears almost transparent in standard view.  It is the outermost layer that wraps so this is very important.  If there is a bug here it would be that not all the layers are wrapping but that may be done by Chief behind the scene to reduce surface counts of the overall model.

The question would be for Bob as to why this was done rather than blending the brick texture ?

It was done this way because the existing house has a white brick with an added wash/parge of white  mortar;  the joints are barely visible through the mortar wash. Doing the same thing on the addition. What would you suggest I do.

Eric did a great video showing me how to make the doors arched top. I haven’t had opportunity yet to try it. The home owner isn’t concerned about it (at this time) he just wants me to get the plans done so he can start building by end October first of November. He and his fiancé are saying I do; in April he wants the house ready to move into then.

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

It was done this way because the existing house has a white brick with an added wash/parge of white  mortar;  the joints are barely visible through the mortar wash. Doing the same thing on the addition. What would you suggest I do.

Give this a try or even better since this is an as built, take a photo of the existing wall when you are on site and crop it so it will tile and bring it into chief as a New Material or even have the client take a nice evenly lit square on photo.

White Mortar Wash.calibz