Ruby Macros

lavorhaynie

Anyone out there offer Ruby services for $?  I need a fairly simple macro created.

I need a label for my layout files that will display the path of the layout file (%file%), truncating the first nn characters.

i.e.  d:\Users\username\DesignWork\CAX11\Builders\Builder_1\Standard_Plans\Plan_1

with nn=43 would display as:

Builder_1\Standard_Plans\Plan_1

-or-

Can this be done in X11 without writing a macro?

Thanks much!

On 10/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, lavorhaynie said:

Can this be done in X11 without writing a macro?

No, but it's fairly simple to do. 

There are 2 Ruby Attributes of a Layout Box that can be used:

• referenced_full_filename  -  same as %file%
  • referenced _filename  -  just the name of the file that was sent to layout.

It would actually be better to know what set of letters you want to eliminate rather than a specific number of characters.

For example:

• d:\Users\username\DesignWork\CAX11\Builders\

where you provide the actual username.

10 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It would actually be better to know what set of letters you want to eliminate rather than a specific number of characters.

How would that look Joe if you just wanted to hide the directory and /Users/Username/ and maybe a file or two ?

Or are you wanting the exact characters ?

@Alaskan_Son contacted me and wrote a macro that pulls the path string I need.  Did a great job at a very reasonable price. Thank you @Alaskan_Son!

Joe, I set up your suggestion and found that it works well too.  I do have a question for you, or anyone that might know the answer... how do you get the Ruby Attributes of a Layout Box that can be used?

Actual path (filename not included):

C:\Users\zbook17g3\OneDrive\_Business\DesignsByLaVor\_WorkX11\_Builders\CH - Compass\Clients\Working\Hancock - Hardin

Your suggestion from above:

CH - Compass/Clients/Working/Hancock - Hardin/Hardin

I would like to have:

CH - Compass/Clients/Working/Hancock - Hardin

Thanks!

I have a macro that will show (in the Ruby Console) all the attributes for any selected object.

Here's the list for a typical Layout Box:

automatic_label ------------ "Graph Schedule Section/Elevation" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ String

box_scale ------------------ "1/4 in = 1 ft" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- String

drawing_group -------------- 1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Integer

floor_number --------------- 1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Integer

height --------------------- 5.390048486681028 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Float

layer ---------------------- arch-d_layout_box_borders --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Symbol

layer_line_color ----------- 255 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Integer

layer_line_style ----------- 0 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Integer

layer_line_weight ---------- 1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Integer

layer_set ------------------ "Arch-D Print" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- String

layer_text_style ----------- "HIDDEN" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- String

line_style ----------------- solid ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Symbol

line_weight ---------------- 1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Integer

object_type ---------------- layout_box ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Symbol

referenced_filename -------- "Jason Bales Residence - Phase 1" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- String

referenced_full_filename --- "D:/Dropbox/Chief Architect Projects/X11/Jason Bales Residence - Phase 1/Plan/Jason Bales Residence - Phase 1.plan" --- String

referenced_layer_set ------- "All On Set" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- String

width ---------------------- 3.6485143922610597 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Float

41 minutes ago, lavorhaynie said:

would like to have:

CH - Compass/Clients/Working/Hancock - Hardin

nstart = 43

nlast = referenced_full_filename.length-1

result = referenced_full_filename[nstart,nlast]

result = result.gsub(".plan","")

result = result.gsub("/Hardin","")

explanation:

line 3 sets the result to the characters starting at the 43rd character and ending at the last character

line 4 strips all instances of ".plan" from the result

line 5 strips all instances of "/Hardin" from the result

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Or are you wanting the exact characters ?

The actual characters would be required

- or the number of "/" characters

- or maybe if you just want to eliminate everything after the last "/".

There are several possibilities.  The macro can become more complex - actually just longer - depending on what rules you want to follow.

Ruby is mostly about manipulating data and performing calculations.  This case is basic manipulation of a text string - which is very much just an array of characters. 

5 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

The actual characters would be required

- or the number of "/" characters

- or maybe if you just want to eliminate everything after the last "/".

There are several possibilities.  The macro can become more complex - actually just longer - depending on what rules you want to follow.

I was just looking at the macro you just wrote for LaVor and realized that it will only work for one particular file.

Is there a way to take his example of :

C:\Users\zbook17g3\OneDrive\_Business\DesignsByLaVor\_WorkX11\_Builders\CH - Compass\Clients\Working\Hancock - Hardin\Hardin.plan

Then write a macro that effectively eliminates everything before the 8th instance of "\" and after the 12th instance.

Producing the result of :

CH - Compass\Clients\Working\Hancock - Hardin

Then this would work for every project unless there was a change in the structure of the file path and then the macro could easily be rewritten or copied and edited ?

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I was just looking at the macro you just wrote for LaVor and realized that it will only work for one particular file.

C:\Users\zbook17g3\OneDrive\_Business\DesignsByLaVor\_WorkX11\_Builders\CH - Compass\Clients\Working\Hancock - Hardin\Hardin.plan

Then write a macro that effectively eliminates everything before the 8th instance of "\" and after the 12th instance.

Then this would work for every project unless there was a change in the structure of the file path and then the macro could easily be rewritten or copied and edited ?

Yes.  That’s essentially the method I utilized.  In a nutshell, my method for this particular use case was to first convert the file path to a string, then to break that string up into an array of values to represent drive, directory, subdirectories, and file, and then to display only the first 3 of the last 4 values in the array.  

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  That’s essentially the method I utilized.  In a nutshell, my method for this particular use case was to first convert the file path to a string, then to break that string up into an array of values to represent drive, directory, subdirectories, and file, and then to display only the first 3 of the last 4 values in the array.  

Ok that sounds much more logical.  Thank You.

I guess what you are saying is that useful macro's cost money.

Just now, Chopsaw said:

Ok that sounds much more logical.  Thank You.

I guess what you are saying is that useful macro's cost money.

...or at the least, valuable time and expertise. The first of which you can of course spend freely...in order to arrive at the second if you should so choose to do so.  

Or, if your time is valuable enough to you, yes, you can just pay one of us (with money) to set something up for you or perhaps to coach you so you can start writing your own.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Sure, but a better method would be to use:

• result = referenced_full_filename.rpartition("_Builders/")
  • result = result[2].rpartition("/")
  • result = result[0]

This way you only have to know that you want to eliminate everything up-to and including "_Builders/" and everything after the last "/".

Note that I'm using the "/" instead of the "\" because that's what Chief uses in the referenced_full_filename attribute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Sure, but a better method would be to use:

• result = referenced_full_filename.rpartition("_Builders/")
  • result = result[2].rpartition("/")
  • result = result[0]

This way you only have to know that you want to eliminate everything up-to and including "_Builders/" and everything after the last "/".

Note that I'm using the "/" instead of the "\" because that's what Chief uses in the referenced_full_filename attribute.

Thanks Joe,  I will give that a try.

19 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Joe,  I will give that a try.

It might work as just a one line macro.  I'm not sure because sometimes Ruby doesn't like too many methods on a single line.  IAE you can try it:

• result = referenced_full_filename.rpartition("_Builders/")[2].rpartition("/")[0]

18 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It might work as just a one line macro.  I'm not sure because sometimes Ruby doesn't like too many methods on a single line.  IAE you can try it:

• result = referenced_full_filename.rpartition("_Builders/")[2].rpartition("/")[0]

Yes that works ok with Chief.   Thanks B)

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Nothing. 

The macro just has to be assigned to the Label of a Layout Box.

Of course you need to create the macro - name it builder_plan_name

Also needs to be an Evaluated Owner Object macro I believe.

5 minutes ago, lavorhaynie said:

Is there a way to use it as a, and I am not sure of the terms to use, reference label? Such that it is in a text box with an arrow pointing to the layout box. This so I do not have to turn on the Layout Box Labels layer.

Yes

Referenced Macro.JPG