Dimensions  are different

lms_jam

I am wondering whats going on here I have two dimensions that should be the same but they seem different. The walls are exterior 6 with siding 6 15/16" and the interior walls are interior 4 4 1/2".I was using the measurement from the outside siding to the interior drywall and then i measured the inside drywall to drywall and it shows a different dimension than the other room. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Dimensions.jpg

35 minutes ago, lms_jam said:

I am wondering whats going on here I have two dimensions that should be the same but they seem different. The walls are exterior 6 with siding 6 15/16" and the interior walls are interior 4 4 1/2".I was using the measurement from the outside siding to the interior drywall and then i measured the inside drywall to drywall and it shows a different dimension than the other room. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Dimensions.jpg

Try opening the wall type and remove the house wrap layer. See if that does better. Before you try that though, try measuring the thickness of each one of those exterior walls and see if they are the same. Be sure you're using the default dimension rounding of 1/16". If they are 1/16" off, then deleting the house wrap layer of the wall type and it will probably fix it.

This is/was an anomaly that would happen once in a blue moon. I was told that they fixed this problem but I help one person last year that had this problem. It almost never happens but it can. I have that layer deleted in my profile plan so I never see this problem. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Your displayed dimensions are probably being rounded to the nearest 1/16". 

Your actual dimensions are probably not really the values you are seeing.

To see the actual dimension, you can change the displayed value as Eric is demonstrating.  Another trick to see what the actual dimension is, is to first select the wall and then click on the dimension.  If it is not the value that is being displayed, then type in the value that you want it to be.  Now your dimension and the displayed value should be the same.

If you look at the picture below, the rounded dimension shows 16' 9 3/4" but the actual distance is 16' 9.7396942287".  It is pretty easy to get strange dimensions like this if you move something with your snaps off or while holding the control key down.  There are probably lots of other ways to do this as well.  The bottom line is that if you want something to have an exact dimension then you probably need to type it in.

rounded dimensions.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, solver said:

Thanks by the way I live about 50 miles from Heber in Eagar AZ nice to see someone else in the area uses Chief Architect.

Welcome

It's good to know what software you are using. It helps others to have this info in your signature so it's always available. Please see this topic for a signature how to.

You may be seeing rounding. Change your dimension format like this to see if the values are really different.

There was a discussion on Grid Rounding recently you may want to read.

ct1.thumb.png.c1d1e6546e948556cfd084592423384f.png

I checked the dimension format and it looks good but my dimensions are now both looking wrong. I did type in my dimensions and I checked to see that they start at the drywall. I have not tried removing the house wrap. I haven't done any materials lists yet probably not a feature that I will use much. The builder knows to put house wrap on anyway. I will try that now and see what happens.

Dimensions.jpg

Try making the interior dimensions identical as Dermot suggested and then see if the exterior dimensions match.  There is a bit of inconsistency with chiefs Grid Rounded dimensions but if you are drawing in 2D with grid snaps on it is not likely to be a factor on a square building.

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Attach your plan file and I'll have a look -- close Chief first.

I appreciate that but I think it fixed itself. Not sure what happened but I just redrew all my walls and now they look right. Thanks for the advice everyone.

This is something I had not really observed before as I almost always dimension to the framing layer.  The wall length in the DBX seems to always display the framing length regardless of the wall dimension settings.

So the framing of your 36' 6" wall is 36' 6" while the framing of your 48' wall is 47' 10 1/8".

You will need to make the appropriate adjustments to the plan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Are you doing an as built plan?

If the wall should be 36' 6" then why not make it so?

I thought I did but I'm confused by the different measurements I guess I just need to do what Chopsaw said and measure from the framing. I'm still learning some stuff and I just want to make sure I get things correct. How do you guys normally place your walls on the plot plan. I have the perimeter and the set backs drawn and I place my walls and then I use the point to point dimension to make a line from the perimeter to the wall and I select the wall and click on the dimension and type my desired dimension from the property perimeter. for some walls I do the same between walls as my temporary dimensions usually go from the outside of the first wall to the inside of the second wall and I want inside to inside. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

This is something I had not really observed before as I almost always dimension to the framing layer.  The wall length in the DBX seems to always display the framing length regardless of the wall dimension settings.

So the framing of your 36' 6" wall is 36' 6" while the framing of your 48' wall is 47' 10 1/8".

You will need to make the appropriate adjustments to the plan.

29 minutes ago, lms_jam said:

fix the top exterior wall should be 36' 6"

It is (check the DBX) but the wall is showing the FRAMING length in the DBX, not including the Plywood and Siding that you Dimension String is snapped too.....

If you measured the Wall at 36'6" then use the Dimension String to change it , the Wall DBX will then tell you the real FRAMING length.

M

24 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

The wall length in the DBX seems to always display the framing length regardless of the wall dimension settings.

This is because the Resize about Option ( general wall defaults) is set to Main layer Outside , set it to Outside layer and  the DBX measurement will be the same as the measurements displayed (in this plan)

• Upvote 1

My friend had an architect draw a house for him and he did not realize that I did that stuff. I have heard several things about this architect ripping people off with expensive plans with few details. So I told my friend that I would redraw the plans for him and he wants to make adjustments anyway. I figured I would use what the architect has drawn and go from there but I already found things that don,t look right. Also some rooms are smaller than I think they should be so I might just have to start from scratch.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:
1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

The wall length in the DBX seems to always display the framing length regardless of the wall dimension settings.

This is because the Resize about Option ( general wall defaults) is set to Main layer Outside , set it to Outside layer and  the DBX measurement will be the same as the measurements displayed (in this plan)

Thanks Mick,  I don't think I have ever changed that.  Good to know for as builts, or in this case as drawn.

General Wall Defaults.JPG

19 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Mick,  I don't think I have ever changed that.  Good to know for as builts, or in this case as drawn.

General Wall Defaults.JPG

I don't use it a lot either TBH  but in another recent thread it was also suggested to switch it to Inside Layer if you measure As-Builts on the interior of the house eg measure Room sizes , drywall to drywall. I'd have to try it but it maybe an idea to switch it back after the main Structure/Shell is built.

M.