Stem and Furred Wall Window Opening Proplems

Doug_N

Well, here I am again, the head finder of window problems.  Believe me when I tell you that I would be happy for someone else to find these problems instead of me finding them just as I try to finish up a project.

If anyone has a workaround for this I would love to hear it.  

The plan file that is attached is just for demonstrating the problem and not part of an actual project. 

Stem Wall and Furred Wall Openings_02.wmv

Walls and Window Openings.plan

For basements, I handle these differently. I use 2 windows. The exterior window is modeled the way it will be built. For me that typically means a shallower frame, essentially a vinyl window without an added jamb. Then, I use a 2nd, interior window that has no sash and no glass, just a jamb-liner and casing. It does mean that my basement windows have the "not through" option checked. 

It's more work,  but it's also more accurate for schedules, section details, and visualization.

Another thing you could do is adjust your  frame depth to 13" to allow for both walls.

As for your windows not updating properly, I can't re-create it but I did notice your interior basement wall was inside out.

And now I can recreate the problem. Just needed to get closer to a wall intersection. I don't have the answer as to why, but on the surface it doesn't seem to be a problem, as you wouldn't want a window so close to the corner that it's partially obscured by the framed wall.

It happens more than you might think in as-built situations.  I did the attached plan file just to demonstrate the problem.  If you delete one window, the problem is still there and it happens with doors as well.

8 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Well, here I am again, the head finder of window problems.  Believe me when I tell you that I would be happy for someone else to find these problems instead of me finding them just as I try to finish up a project.

If anyone has a workaround for this I would love to hear it.  

The plan file that is attached is just for demonstrating the problem and not part of an actual project. 

Try making the basement Walls with your own "Furred Wall" Walltype Definition instead of using Chief's "furred Wall" Option on the Structure Tab .....seems to work ....

image.thumb.png.7c2dc011c461cbfdfe59153542262366.png

21 hours ago, glennw said:

I am not sure of what your problem is because I can't open the .wmv file on my mac.

But is there any reason why you have some very short invisible wall sections in your plan?

New Image_1.jpg

Those are actually created by CA when you move the windows around.  I think they are related to the wall openings in the furred wall.