Guest Debbie

building new home

Guest Debbie

I have blueprints of a house we are building already. I want to upload them to this software and then add different features to exterior and interior as we build our home. 

Can I scan and upload these plans and then modify them? Im contemplating buying Home Designer Suite. Will this software be good enough or do I need Architecture Home Design?

You have found the forum for the Chief Architect branded products.

Home Designer users have their own forum, HomeTalk, where you will find suggestions based on your software.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

Pre-sales questions are best directed to Sales via Sales Related Questions

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/2-sales-related-questions/

• Upvote 1

If you wish to mainly do Interior Design, colors, flooring, etc, Suite should be fine but if you wish to alter the exterior Architecture and Roof System you would be better off with Home Designer Pro. That would mean a steeper learning curve but also give you more choices and the ability to make any intended changes. Also, my advice is that whatever you obtain to use that you carefully, study and trial and error practice BEFORE starting to create your home 3D model. Trying to do something creative without knowing how to use your tool is self-defeating and a waste of time.

DJP

Well, since neither one of them actually answered your question I will.

NO...you CAN NOT "upload" these plans and have a functioning file you can then work with. You will need to manually re-create the design in whichever software you choose to work with. 

If you have a CAD file (.dxf, .dwg) you can bring that file in Chief Architect and use that as a starting point, but again, it WILL NOT be a 3D file of any sort, you will need to create the entire 3D structure yourself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Well, since neither one of them actually answered your question I will.

Eric gave them good advice so their questions COULD get answered more accurately.  Example?

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

If you have a CAD file (.dxf, .dwg) you can bring that file in Chief Architect and use that as a starting point

...Home Designer Suite CANNOT import DWG/DXF files.  Something people over in the correct forum would know a little better.  Eric understands more than most how important it is to direct your questions to the proper places and has donated ridiculous amounts of time helping users get those questions answered and answered correctly, not only in this forum, but in that forum as well...

Eric.thumb.jpg.7eac83ab2e7557017a417898d8765456.jpg

P.S.  David has as well and also attempted to answer a key part of the OP's question...which software would be more suitable.

• Upvote 1