X11: Light shade default transparency

CAcygrymus

Have been placing some lamps, sconces and such. Noticed a number of them seem to have little to no transparency. I have gone to the materials tab, and while I can select a different material entirely, I cannot seem to be able to find where I would adjust the transparency of the material. In the attached example, I placed the default "Ulna" floor lamp. Not only can you clearly see the bulb, but also the metal socket and shade support through the shade. The light cast on the wall seems unobstructed by the shade.

This is likely something very simple that I am overlooking.

Untitled 1.jpg

Hi CA

Try opening the fixture, materials (globe), properties and adjust "translucency" setting.  Can not find the "Ulna" fixture however, so didn't try that particular one.  If that doesn't work, try changing material of globe to "glass white" which can be adjusted.

51 minutes ago, DougMaddox said:

Hi CA

Try opening the fixture, materials (globe), properties and adjust "translucency" setting.  Can not find the "Ulna" fixture however, so didn't try that particular one.  If that doesn't work, try changing material of globe to "glass white" which can be adjusted.

Doug,

There is a "Shade" component in the materials tab, but no globe and no properties tab for it.

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Yes -- Copy to user library and make your changes.

The transparency of that original lampshade is a default of 3%. Does that seem right, judging by the first screenshot? Anything above opaque translucency is showing up as if it is 100% translucent.

I think I figured out a somewhat decent compromise, by making it opaque, yet giving it a 250 emissive value so it appears to be lit from behind and cast the resulting diffused light beyond it.

Ack, looks somewhat decent in physically based camera mode, but like hot garbage in standard. And if I place it in front of a window, the exterior seen through the window shows right through the lamp's shade. Egads.

5 hours ago, CAcygrymus said:

I place it in front of a window, the exterior seen through the window shows right through the lamp's shade. Egads.

There were reports of similar last year , it was being caused by the 2D Plants apparently.... see this thread for more info....

• Upvote 1