Trouble getting wall to show on Wall Elevation view

EdKalen

I've spent half a day trying to figure why this is happening and no luck. I'm working on a kitchen remodel. I used the ceiling plane option to draw vaulted ceilings in the kitchen. It shows up just fine in perspective overview but when I select the Wall Elevation view, my wall does not extend to the ceiling but stops at the wall height that is in Room Specifications. What am I doing wrong? 

I've tried moving the edge of the plane to the inside and outside edges of the wall, with no luck. What else should I try? Please help.

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

2 hours ago, EdKalen said:

I've spent half a day trying to figure why this is happening and no luck. I'm working on a kitchen remodel. I used the ceiling plane option to draw vaulted ceilings in the kitchen. It shows up just fine in perspective overview but when I select the Wall Elevation view, my wall does not extend to the ceiling but stops at the wall height that is in Room Specifications. What am I doing wrong? 

I've tried moving the edge of the plane to the inside and outside edges of the wall, with no luck. What else should I try? Please help.

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

YES...what you want can be accomplished.

Hopefully the attached pics will describe the process...but, basically it this;  use the wall elevation camera, click on the view, hit tab key (this will change the selection handles from the wall to the cameral "box"....then drag the box upward to reveal the rest of the room.  Done!  But...like Michael said above, it's just easier to use a different camera.

step #1 -

2019-10-02_16-43-42.thumb.png.d590e7d8515617d68ba75288f12f24a7.png

Step #2 -

2019-10-02_16-43-51.thumb.png.8ed66ac112a43d491869b6218ba7b241.png

Step #3 -

2019-10-02_16-44-01.thumb.png.9c1901c682cd37a5f3f1f4ece03442ff.png

Step #4 -

2019-10-02_16-44-29.thumb.png.a68f0e0c660ab8b0f54ea1a66b61846a.png

Done -

2019-10-02_16-44-37.thumb.png.5d87cd3ba4469d6c09c76360dda3fe47.png

• Upvote 1

I just want to clarify a couple of things Steve said.

In Step 2, he is selecting the wall.  If you look at the status bar, you can see that the wall is selected.

In Step 3, he is using the tab key to select the room.  If you look in the status bar, you can see that the room is selected.

In Step 4, he is changing the room ceiling height by dragging the top edit handle up.  This is basically the same thing that Eric suggested before.

If your view is then showing things that you don't want, you will have to add a cad mask to hide what you don't want and/or reshape your layout box to hide what you don't want (as suggested by both Eric and Michael).

By default, wall elevation cameras are limited to the room's floor and ceiling heights and will only show objects that are within the room.  If you need to display more information, you are usually better off using the full cross section camera.  Cross section cameras can be set to backclip or to clip on the sides if you need to restrict the view.  Currently, there is no way to clip the top and bottom though.  You would need to modify what displays using layers, cad masks, or modify the shape of the layout box to better control what you want to see.

22 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Steve, I've been using CA since version '97 and I never knew that trick existed. Thanks

Be careful.  It's probably not the trick you think it is.  It's not changing the camera view-port as one might hope.  As Dermot pointed out, it's actually changing the model, and as such, it could have a lot of unintended consequences.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Be careful.  It's probably not the trick you think it is. 

OK, thanks. I will watch to see what adverse conditions it may create. It would be great if it worked as it "appears" as I hate the workarounds with CAD masks sometimes. The ability to modify the layout box was a welcome feature though when it was added.

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Be careful.  It's probably not the trick you think it is.  It's not changing the camera view-port as one might hope.  As Dermot pointed out, it's actually changing the model, and as such, it could have a lot of unintended consequences.

Yea...the method I suggested works but can have bad consequences as what you are actually changing is the ceiling height in the room.  

I’d suggest a different camera and a cad mask.  

Most of the time I use Wall Elevations but for those cases where there's a cathedral ceiling I use a "Section/Elevation View" and add a "Mask" for the things I don't want to see.

The "Mask" is just a solid filled rectangular Polyline with a Hole.  Inside the Hole is everything I want to see.  The hole can be edited to fit the floor, wall & ceiling surfaces.

• Upvote 1