Stair Runner Problem Please Help (General Q & A)

Stephen999

Hello i need help with this problem that i'm having with Stair Runners i'm having this gap in between the runner and the Upstairs floor in which im hoping that someone can help me to solve?

Kind Regards: Stephen999

Version

Chief Architect Premier X11

2019-10-02 13_56_35-Chief Architect Premier X11.png

55 minutes ago, Stephen999 said:

Hello i need help with this problem that i'm having with Stair Runners i'm having this gap in between the runner and the Upstairs floor in which im hoping that someone can help me to solve?

Kind Regards: Stephen999

Version

Chief Architect Premier X11

2019-10-02 13_56_35-Chief Architect Premier X11.png

I believe to get that gap to disappear, you'll need to ensure that the stairs are snapped to the framing layer of the floor above. Quick guess would be that your stairs are currently snapped to the drywall layer. 

Correction: the tread and nosing material will need to be the same as the carpet runner! Unfortunately, the nosing material can only be set by the stairs.

image.thumb.png.400012140936ded6d118d9ac89fdd55d.pngimage.thumb.png.c817b824dbeff1e593a5dc212c8a00f1.pngimage.thumb.png.f6887b7e47ff851157061633d742651d.pngimage.thumb.png.30bc8b5bc1487e41f2f311da6b1c14e9.png

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

I believe to get that gap to disappear, you'll need to ensure that the stairs are snapped to the framing layer of the floor above. Quick guess would be that your stairs are currently snapped to the drywall layer. 

Correction: the tread and nosing material will need to be the same as the carpet runner! Unfortunately, the nosing material can only be set by the stairs.

image.thumb.png.400012140936ded6d118d9ac89fdd55d.pngimage.thumb.png.c817b824dbeff1e593a5dc212c8a00f1.pngimage.thumb.png.f6887b7e47ff851157061633d742651d.pngimage.thumb.png.30bc8b5bc1487e41f2f311da6b1c14e9.png

Hi so is there no other way to fix it apart from Nosing? As when textured it sadly does all the stairs as well as you mentioned 

1 minute ago, Stephen999 said:

Hi so is there no other way to fix it apart from Nosing? As when textured it sadly does all the stairs as well as you mentioned 

There's always a way. It just means manually placing a molding or p-solid to act as the nosing. Another glaring issue that requires a work-around would be that stringer sticking up past the upper floor surface. The solution is turn off the closed stringer and make your own using a p-solid. At least then, you can also control its thickness and the material for the stringer separate from the risers.

25 minutes ago, robdyck said:

There's always a way. It just means manually placing a molding or p-solid to act as the nosing. Another glaring issue that requires a work-around would be that stringer sticking up past the upper floor surface. The solution is turn off the closed stringer and make your own using a p-solid. At least then, you can also control its thickness and the material for the stringer separate from the risers.

Hi i'm new to chief could you tell me how to use P-Solids and how to access them in the Catalog? i have turned off Stringers so now my stairs look like this

2019-10-02 23_01_10-Chief Architect Premier X11.png

Just now, Stephen999 said:

Hi i'm new to chief could you tell me how to use P-Solids and how to access them in the Catalog? i have turned off Stringers so now my stairs look like this

2019-10-02 23_01_10-Chief Architect Premier X11.png

No problem Stephen. In order to draw the appropriate polyline solid, you'll need to take a section / elevation view through the stairs. You can then draw a p-solid using the p-solid tool and then size and shape it to be the stair stringer. A couple of pointers:

-a psolid will 'be' on whatever surface you draw it on. You can move it in plan view, but it's best to draw it on the surface you want it on, like the drywall in this case.

-make sure you're on the correct floor when you draw it. 

-a p-solid drawn in elevation view behaves differently than one drawn in plan view. A bit of practice will help you decide which to use and when.

If you post a plan, I'll quickly draw one in for you and send it back. Then you'll be able to see what I've done. A bit easier than typing!

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

No problem Stephen. In order to draw the appropriate polyline solid, you'll need to take a section / elevation view through the stairs. You can then draw a p-solid using the p-solid tool and then size and shape it to be the stair stringer. A couple of pointers:

-a psolid will 'be' on whatever surface you draw it on. You can move it in plan view, but it's best to draw it on the surface you want it on, like the drywall in this case.

-make sure you're on the correct floor when you draw it. 

-a p-solid drawn in elevation view behaves differently than one drawn in plan view. A bit of practice will help you decide which to use and when.

If you post a plan, I'll quickly draw one in for you and send it back. Then you'll be able to see what I've done. A bit easier than typing!

Hi my current plan is to big to upload 

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

try this one. A bunch of textures will be missing because of different file paths. 

House_and_garage.plan

Mm very interesting great job i will really have to learn how to do this as it will help me a lot in future projects thanks again :D One thing that i have done though i have turned this into a Symbol so that i can use it again and again in similar circumstances

2 minutes ago, Stephen999 said:

Mm very interesting great job i will really have to learn how to do this as it will help me a lot in future projects thanks again :D

Depending on what you're priorities are for accuracy, in that same stair section view, you could add a 3d molding (that follows the top edge of the p-solid stringer) and you could apply a molding with a rounded edge to better represent a carpet wrapped stringer. It would soften the edge. Or that molding could be used as wood trim to cap the top of the stringer. Unnecessary for construction docs, of course.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:00 AM, robdyck said:

Depending on what you're priorities are for accuracy, in that same stair section view, you could add a 3d molding (that follows the top edge of the p-solid stringer) and you could apply a molding with a rounded edge to better represent a carpet wrapped stringer. It would soften the edge. Or that molding could be used as wood trim to cap the top of the stringer. Unnecessary for construction docs, of course.

Hi i have got quite far with understanding how Poly line Solids work? And have created a wall structure near the stairs i want to add like a molding going down and then up i have created the bottom part that is Grey but i cant make the other as it has a bend and elevation view isn't helping either here is a image showing a basic outline the yellow is the molding i did and the red is where i am having trouble making the other molding line

2019-10-05 01_24_59-Chief Architect Premier X11.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 2:42 AM, Ridge_Runner said:

Draw it in section view as CAD lines and then turn it into a 3D molding line. Position it in plan view if necessary.

3D molding line.jpg

3D molding line 2.jpg

Hi again i have created a molding with CAD Lines on a wall but the wall end goes on a bend how would i add the other molding i have an image the red is the one i made and the green is the bend where i want the molding to join somehow???

2019-10-14 00_45_22-Chief Architect Premier X11.png

9 minutes ago, solver said:

There are lots of good videos on the Chief site to go over these type of things.

Consider spending some time there watching and maybe reading articles and you will be able to answer questions like this for yourself.

That's the thing i have searched YouTube but i cant find many if any dealing with this particular query? 

@solver @Ridge_Runner  

Hi guys thanks for both suggestions i have managed to create it in Plan like you both mentioned i had to move the molding to the correct surface as doing it in plan make the molding on the ground but apart from that i have a nice molding now so cheers :)