Might someone have or do a tutorial video: pony wall display, plan view, and layout

GeneDavis

I began a topic before about this, got good responses, even videos, but it still wasn't clear.

Level 0 is a walkout basement all finished with rooms.  3/4 of its perimeter has woodframed walls with 5-foot stemwalls ("frost walls") below.

Those walls are pony walls, the Chief wall transition for my model being at the bottom level of the 4" floor slab that's the floor structure for this level.

To do a foundation plan, one wants the lower half of the walls, 8" concrete, to display.  With footings, steps, etc.

The floor plan view shows only those parts of the level that are room-height stemwalls, and all the exterior woodframed walls, plus of course the interior walls.

I got everything to work and display and shoot to layout as wanted, but not without a lot of trial and error.  I'm still a little confused.'

The method involved doing a layer to isolate all the level's interior walls so as to get a clear foundation plan.  It involves setting things a certain way in the pony wall display in the pony wall defaults, and then in setting display for the pony walls with the stemwalls below.

Will one of our excellent video tutorial makers show us how this is done, and key in on the make-or-break settings?

I'm not a video maker, and have no wifi for the next week, and am here in the boonies with a bar and a half of cell phone service.  Chief says I'd better get connected soon, or it will shut down.

Using Saved Plan Views and leaving the Pony Wall set to Default  are the 2 key things.

Foundation Plan View:  Go into your Pony Wall Defaults and set the Display to Lower Wall.  Do NOT change the setting in your actual wall, only in the defaults.  Once you make that change, SAVE your plan view using the Save Plan View button.

Floor Plan View:  Go into your Pony Wall Defaults and set the Display to Upper Wall and Lower Wall Outline (or whatever you want).  Do NOT change the setting in your actual wall, only in the defaults.  Once you make that change, SAVE your plan view using the Save Plan View button.

Send the appropriate plan views to the appropriate pages.  Each Plan View will store its own Pony Wall Default. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.

So day-yum if I didn't do it backwards, but still got the results I needed.  I got it by setting the pony wall default view as bottom.

All was OK in my view to show foundation, saved with layerset i named FOUNDATION, which only had the exterior walls visible.  No interior walls, no openings.

Then in my view for LOWER FLOOR PLAN, I changed each wall with stemwall under to show UPPER, not changing the default view of pony wall, which remains LOWER.

Saved this view, shipped to layout, and I'm good.  What got me right was not touching the pony wall default view setting.

I'll go back and do it toggling the pony wall default view instead.

So what's the diff here?

I'm assuming that saving a plan view saves this with it:  the layerset, the anno set, and all default settings.

• 4 weeks later...

I messed up something in this plan, and am unable to get my lower pony wall to display. 

See the attached which is what the pony wall dialog looks like in the DEFAULTS.  As can be seen, even though the lower wall is specified as concrete stemwall, and BTW the concrete stemwall is set to show properly in wall defaults, the stemwall in the preview is looking like a thick version of my siding wall, and is showing siding on all surfaces.

Help me recover from this, please.

2019-10-24_1908.png

I still have no idea how to change my display through defaults.  I don't even understand the whole defaults thing.  The only way I know for changing the wall default or anything about wall is to click on the wrench symbol up on my OOB toolbar and select Walls>Exterior Walls>

File attached.  I watched Steve's tutorial and cannot understand a.) how he has his plan views in a dropdown on his toolbar, b.) how he has a tool palette going and what's in it, and c.) how he has something in that palette that brings up pony wall defaults.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01hgiyeqhc1enx3/Irvin Whitney.plan?dl=0

Just did that to no avail.

In the screencaps here, I point to the exterior walls that are pony wall spec:  framed wall up, stemwall down.  All are carrying the default of no specific selection for view, i.e., they are not set to show upper, or lower, or either of the other radio check boxes.

I then try and change the display by going to DEFAULTS and changing the display to DISPLAY LOWER, and nothing happens.

2019-10-24_2150.png

2019-10-24_2153.png

On 10/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, GeneDavis said:

Then in my view for LOWER FLOOR PLAN, I changed each wall with stemwall under to show UPPER, not changing the default view of pony wall, which remains LOWER.

If I understand what you did, this might be where you went wrong. Do you mean you "changed each wall with stemwall under to show UPPER" ... in the Wall Specification DBX? Because for this to work, ALL PONY WALLS MUST HAVE "DISPLAY IN PLAN VIEW" CHECKED AS "DEFAULT" IN THE WALL SPEC DBX.

No, I learned one thing for sure on my first go-around with this, and that was not controlling this at the individual wall level.  I had been trying that and it did not work for my con docs needs.

It is all controlled at the Pony Wall Defaults level, and I hope it is cemented into my brain for future use.