Tennesse Architect ONLY

PaulNDebbie

We are going to build our retirement home in Parrottsville, Tn, (we currently live in the Birmingham area), and have been working on our home plans since 2016, using Chief Architect Home Designer software (2018 edition).   This software can export to a PDF, DXF, EMF and PNG Format.

We have talked with several builders, some builders say they can work with what we have, we just need it printed on a large printer  (1/4 inch - 1 foot scale), while the other builders say the plan need to be redrawn by an Architect/Designer.

We have a few questions, but please excuse our ignorance on the first question.

1) What's the difference between what the software program drew up and what an Architect/Designer can do? 

2) Would you be able to take our plans and print them in the 1/4 inch - 1 foot scale?  Cost?

3) If we need to have them redrawn, what would that cost?

@PaulNDebbie

If you post your plan you'll get better insight and feedback into the quality of your design and where it may or may not be lacking. Builders and permitting officials typically require properly scaled sets of plans. There's also usually specific drawing requirements that vary slightly from region to region. This would be fairly simple to review and identify if you post your plan.

About 5 months ago I had a client contact me regarding a plan he had been working on for his own home.  He actually has Chief Architect but wanted me to turn his design into a buildable set of plans.  Within just a few days after contracting for the work I determined that the design would not work and in fact couldn't be built on his site.  After some renegotiation of the contract I was able to come up with a much more acceptable solution.  The client is very happy and will be an on-going relationship with this site and other's he's working on.

Not all Architects and Designers are the same.  Quality and Costs will vary - but in some cases you can get a better job along with a lower cost.  It just depends on who you hire.  Remember that a Real Estate Commission is usually 6% but can be as low as 4%.  Your Architect today will in most cases be lower.  Architects and Building Designers spend a lot of time getting your project right.  Please understand that and don't think they are just doing the "drawings".

• 2 months later...

On 10/1/2019 at 1:12 PM, PaulNDebbie said:
We are going to build our retirement home in Parrottsville, Tn, (we currently live in the Birmingham area), and have been working on our home plans since 2016, using Chief Architect Home Designer software (2018 edition).   This software can export to a PDF, DXF, EMF and PNG Format.

We have talked with several builders, some builders say they can work with what we have, we just need it printed on a large printer  (1/4 inch - 1 foot scale), while the other builders say the plan need to be redrawn by an Architect/Designer.

We have a few questions, but please excuse our ignorance on the first question.

1) What's the difference between what the software program drew up and what an Architect/Designer can do? 

2) Would you be able to take our plans and print them in the 1/4 inch - 1 foot scale?  Cost?

3) If we need to have them redrawn, what would that cost?