Q: CAD Detail from View GRAYED OUT in Section View

para-CAD

So I searched with "cad detail from view - section view" and found nothing.  It this the expected behavior - no 2D CAD/editable lines from Section views?

I want to make a CAD Detail from View of a Section so I can remove some of the lines that aren't necessary.  The Icon and file menu to make a CAD Detail from view are GRAYED OUT when I have the section window active.  However, when I am in PLAN view, it's A-OK and works. 

I'm now going to read up on this feature in the 700 page manual.  Either I have a setting misconfigured or CAD Detail from view doesn't work on all items (but should). 

348078663_2019-09-2817_01_43-Window.thumb.png.0144aec144dc1ef4722dbc9f828f4442.png

Plan view (option available)

1888333085_2019-09-2817_01_55-Window.thumb.png.868058234adbdf75ebc6e0577439e036.png

Section view (option not available)

25 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

So I searched with "cad detail from view - section view" and found nothing.  It this the expected behavior - no 2D CAD/editable lines from Section views?

I want to make a CAD Detail from View of a Section so I can remove some of the lines that aren't necessary.  The Icon and file menu to make a CAD Detail from view are GRAYED OUT when I have the section window active.  However, when I am in PLAN view, it's A-OK and works. 

I'm now going to read up on this feature in the 700 page manual.  Either I have a setting misconfigured or CAD Detail from view doesn't work on all items (but should). 

348078663_2019-09-2817_01_43-Window.thumb.png.0144aec144dc1ef4722dbc9f828f4442.png

Plan view (option available)

1888333085_2019-09-2817_01_55-Window.thumb.png.868058234adbdf75ebc6e0577439e036.png

Section view (option not available)

Are you in Vector View?

To clarify what Michael said, the Cad Detail from View tool is only enabled when you are using the Vector View rendering technique.  If you are using any of the other rendering techniques, then it is disabled. 

Although the vector view is a much better preview of what you will get when you use the tool, it may not be necessary that we disable the tool this way.  I think this is a holdover from the old days when we used the data that was shown in the vector view to generate the cad detail.

12 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Although the vector view is a much better preview of what you will get when you use the tool, it may not be necessary that we disable the tool this way.  I think this is a holdover from the old days when we used the data that was shown in the vector view to generate the cad detail.

It might make sense to include Technical Illustration.  Not sure anyone would think to create a Cad Detail from a Watercolor view.

Curious what view Mike may have been using at the time ?

Hmmm  I just place a back clipped cross section on a plan view and then the section view appears.  I never stop to consider what type of view it is utilizing.  I hope that this can be changed to just work.  I guess I will add this to my workflow to always check what view I'm in.  It's amazing how these small things can completely burn through time until they become known.

So my "work around" was to export the section to .dwg and "clean it up" in AutoCAD LT.  Then I imported it back to CA into a blank, new file.  The text was all BOLD and needed repair, but then I was able to take a CAD detail of it and add it to the layout. 

Thanks for all the quick responses.  This site is way more user friendly than the manual (and who really reads any manual /sarc) 

9 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

I just place a back clipped cross section on a plan view and then the section view appears.  I never stop to consider what type of view it is utilizing.

There is a default setting for that. Camera Tools> Backclipped Cross Section.  Then it will always open the same way unless you mess with it.