Deck Cut Away under Box Window

kwhitt

I could really use some help on this one.  I've been through all the wall settings and room settings as pertains to the box window.  I looked in the deck DBX - there doesn't seem to be an option to prevent the cut.  I thought there might be a similar solution to when this happens to the terrain, but no such option.  

deck cutaway.jpg

20 minutes ago, solver said:

Put the deck on a different floor.

You have 2 rooms -- the bay and the deck on the same floor in the same space and Chief does not allow that.

Thanks Eric.  What floor do you recommend I move the deck to?  Floor 0?  Also, what is the best method to move plan objects to different floors?  This isn't going to mess up my roof?  Thanks again!

Away from my computer, but you’ll probably have to:

1.  Cut one of the walls that forms the bay window.

2.  Open the deck room and on the Deck tab, uncheck Auto Regenerate and check Retain Framing After Deck Room is deleted.  
3.  Paste Hold Position the previously cut wall back into place.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, glennw said:

The quick and easy way which may give you what you want is to select one of the walls that form the box and designate it a No Room definition wall.

Then drag the bottoms of the box walls up in a 3D view.

I was thinking this too but waiting to see if anyone would suggest this. You'll probably need to reposition the windows and do some workarounds for the bottom and possibly ceiling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Away from my computer, but you’ll probably have to:

1.  Cut one of the walls that forms the bay window.

2.  Open the deck room and on the Deck tab, uncheck Auto Regenerate and check Retain Framing After Deck Room is deleted.  
3.  Paste Hold Position the previously cut wall back into place.

Michael - thanks.  That worked great!  Kevin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, glennw said:

The quick and easy way which may give you what you want is to select one of the walls that form the box and designate it a No Room definition wall.

Then drag the bottoms of the box walls up in a 3D view.

This works. Had to drag the walls back up and the "room" that was the box window is now part of the deck. Not sure there aren't other problems caused by this method, but it looks right.

2040734991_ScreenShot2019-09-30at7_57_51AM.thumb.png.4fbce19e0ae7d69179f0342c1417dbeb.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

I was thinking this too but waiting to see if anyone would suggest this. You'll probably need to reposition the windows and do some workarounds for the bottom and possibly ceiling.

Glenn's method worked too, but I had to reposition all the walls and windows.  When I first cut the wall using Michael's suggestion, the walls and windows shifted down to the floor joists; however, when I pasted the wall back into place, everything came back up to the correct height off the floor platform.

8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Glenn's method worked too, but I had to reposition all the walls and windows.  When I first cut the wall using Michael's suggestion, the walls and windows shifted down to the floor joists; however, when I pasted the wall back into place, everything came back up to the correct height off the floor platform.

Cut/paste in place is a great tool, use it all the time. Also very handy when moving stuff between floors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Cut/paste in place is a great tool, use it all the time. Also very handy when moving stuff between floors.

It is a great tool.  Glad I asked as these types of tips aren't in the training videos.