Unwanted Light From Walls And Objects In Raytrace

Vendel

I suspect the 3 added light sources inside of the wall cabinets may be what was causing the wall cabinet light leaks. Putting a roof on your plan "might" (??) help as well.

I thought that at first as well, I even put it in my post but deleted it when I realized that it looked like those light were actually under the cabinets (from renderings in previous posts), and some of the light leaks were on the walls and not even near the cabinets.

Michael:

He has light sources in the cabinets as well .... above the tube lights under the cabinets.  If you select the 3 light sources in plan and check their location for display in camera views, you can see where they are sitting in elevation with a full camera view of the wall cabinets.

Michael:

He has light sources in the cabinets as well .... above the tube lights under the cabinets.  If you select the 3 light sources in plan and check their location for display in camera views, you can see where they are sitting in elevation with a full camera view of the wall cabinets.

Good catch Curt.  I'm sure that wasn't helping then.  I just automatically deleted those lights for my quick test as they didn't seem necessary so you might be right.

Worked out pretty well after al (that means...for a beginner).

I replaced the cabinet light for spotlights (with pointlights).

Turned off the other lights, and placed a lightsource behind the camera.

post-2771-0-19717700-1412766946_thumb.jpg

post-2771-0-86759400-1412766934_thumb.jpg

Vendel:

Actually, you had four (4) light sources inside your wall cabinets.  I found another one before I closed you plan last night.  Placing lights inside a cabinet makes sense if you have glazing in the cabinet doors and have stuff you want to show off with some added lighting.

Vendel:

Your 2nd image looks very nice.  Was that a quick trace or a high quality one?  How many passes/how much time did it take you.  If you could turn down the wattage of the under cabinet lighting, I think it would be even greater.  Nice job.

Here's a ray trace I did after getting rid of 3 of the 4 in-cabinet light sources and deleting a bunch of other stuff in your plan in an effort to speed up the ray trace.  I did only 10 "quick" passes and I was still around 40 minutes.  I didn't edit the contrast or any other settings.  I think adjusting the contrast up just a bit would have made it look better.

post-191-0-80933200-1412781502_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I know this thread is years old but for the sake of people who have this problem:

I have the X7 version and I was able to eliminate the glowing indoor edges on walls and cabinets by going to Lighting on Ray Trace Options and unchecking the Enable Environment Light (Outside). Not sure if older versions have the same option though.