Unwanted Light From Walls And Objects In Raytrace

Vendel

Hi!  My first post here.  Looked for about half a hour on this forum, before I posted this.

Whats up with the lights coming out of the wall and cabinets.  Can't figure out why it is there.

And more importantly,  can anybody tell me how to turn in off ?

kitchen.jpg

This bleeding stuff is always a mystery,  for whatever reason I never get the light bleeding.......  P. might be correct,  put a roof on it and all may be well......  errrrrr...  should you post the plan to get a definitive answer?  What sayeth you GW?

I'm guessing from the way the image appears that you have photons and caustic turned ON. Try turning them OFF, that generally reduces the light flares. In my limited experience, this typically happens more when the room lighting is somewhat low. If you turn up the ambient settings a little that might also help.

This bleeding stuff is always a mystery,  for whatever reason I never get the light bleeding.......  P. might be correct,  put a roof on it and all may be well......  errrrrr...  should you post the plan to get a definitive answer?  What sayeth you GW?

Scott, do you typically ray trace with the photons option ON or OFF?

The 'roof' solution typically doesn't have much effect on reducing the flares for me, but turning off 'photons' does.

Scott, do you typically ray trace with the photons option ON or OFF?

The 'roof' solution typically doesn't have much effect on reducing the flares for me, but turning off 'photons' does.

Hey Barton,  I am the King of the "crappy ray trace",  3 minutes max.,  heck no I don't have photons on.

But good call,  I think you are saying having  photons on precipitates the "bleeding"........  I buy that......  I never have photons on so I probably never get the bleeding light.

Hi Scott,

Yes, I am saying that having 'photons on' causes the flare problem. I believe that with 'photons on' the ray trace engine is looking for 'bounced photons of light' as well as direct reflections. While the 'photons on' setting creates a more realistic lighting effect, it also has this annoying flare artifact. Maybe X7 will eliminate it...

I've got 4 aces ... you lose!  V ... did the advice help?  Curious.  I think at one time or another we have all had those funny light bleeds.  For me usually at the wall/roof junctions.  I don't recall seeing one where you are getting them.  Let us know what's going on ... if you got them fixed.  Solutions that work help us all.

Nope, I've tried almost every settings. In the 3D settings, and in the raytrace settings.

Only the "quick" raytrace removes the light bleeding, but then the metals don't look realistic enought (just black).

I've also put a roof on top, but like you see, there isn't much change.

I will keep looking, (and keep waiting (raytrace takes 4 minutes)), and will let you guys know when I find something.

raytrace1.jpg

raytrace2.jpg

raytrace3.jpg

raytrace4.jpg

I think you will continue to get the 'light flares' as long as photons are on. That said, it you add sufficient additional lighting to the scene, it will do a good job of swamping out the flares. By additional lighting I mean actual lights, not just increasing the ambient light settings.

Try to put some light sources in that room and lighten up the scene. Those are pretty bad quick RT's. I would put 3 or 4 lite sources in that room. You might not see it then b/c no light reflecting off the cabs. Also see if there is difference using a different door style. I also do crappy 5 min RT's and never seen this.

Uhh,  do you mean 3D > Lighting > Toggle sunlight ?   Yes, I've tried this.

I've increased the light sources in the kitchen and the light bleeding seems to be almost gone.

But it's not really what I had in mind, it;s too bright in there now.

Guess I'll have to wait till CA fixes this little bugger ;-p

Post #4 .... Scott's 'famous' suggestion .... why not?  I'm not much for ray tracing but I will take a stab at it for you if .......!

In spite of it being a famous suggestion,  it is ignored as much as my wife ignores my famous requests........... so I get my own retribution by ignoring her requests for me to take out the trash......  hmmmmmm....  that explains a lot.......  I may have to start taking out the trash.....

Trash .... what trash?

Vendel .... Save your plan; close it; navigate to it and make a compressed copy and then post it here on the forum so "one or many of us" can see what sort of ray trace we can produce ... hopefully without the light leaks so you can have a solution that you're pleased with.  Just a suggestion for you to consider.

I didn't mess around with it too much, and there's a lot that could be done to make it look nicer, but here's a 4 pass, just under 5 minute ray trace using your settings and plan with the following changes...

-I deleted most things from the plan that weren't in view (if you do this, save the temporary plan with a different name before you start deleting stuff)

-Under the lighting tab in the ray trace dbx I pretty much always uncheck "Use Camera View Settings"

-I moved the added lights to behind the camera and deleted or turned off all ther rest (including the sun).  Please note, turning the sun off isn't always necessary (and proabably wasn't in this case), it just helps sometimes (at least in past versions to get rid of some of those "light leaks".

-Probably most notably, I built a quick roof on the plan. 

Not sure if the probelm was the missing roof or something else...at any rate, its nothing fancy, but hope that helps. 

post-46-0-03815500-1412739521_thumb.jpg