New Computer

builtright3

Thinking of getting a new desktop computer to run the CA program. I know a lot of people don't like Dell but I have a Dell and have been very happy with it and the online support has been good. I pay the service fee each year because when I screw things up I have instant help and I multitask a lot so I need it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of operating system, hardware, software....? And I'm open to other manufacturer's I just wanted to give my experience with Dell Computers. I not totally dumb when it come to computers but I would like to know what others are doing so I can make a better choice.

Thank You

Joey

Joey:

I like HP's tech support - had good experience with them

at least while under warranty ;)

not all brands use India for tech support

basically toss a coin and choose a name brand that has the specs you want/need

I check the reviews on Amazon and Cnet and Computer Shopper (very extensive)

EVERY product will have negative reviews

some will sound "horrible"

so I look for 100+ reviews with 4-5 stars overall

I will read the negative reviews to ensure that the product meets my wants/needs

As for OS, I hear Win 8.1 is finally "user-friendly" for desktop users

I decided to stay with Win 7 when I bought a PC in Jan when my prior PC

died in an Ice storm power surge

Windows 10 is coming in the spring (MS is skipping Win 9)

but that is probably to long to wait

Lew

Lew

Alienware, owned by Dell now, Great for gaming and that's what you need for Chief. I've had mine for many years now, changed out a few parts, added some over the years and still running great, worth the extra price. Never had to call support, ever.  You can also build your own system.

Michael:

my preference is for name brands

I've never tried to "go local" - maybe I should

but have no idea who to trust ???

with a name brand I might have a chance of them honoring the warranty

just my thoughts ....

Lew

My signature shows my most recent computers. One desktop is home built, the other is HP. I've been happy with both approaches. Purchased the HP in June and have been VERY pleased with it. The liquid cooling is quiet and the six cores add a little extra pop for ray traces. This model also allows overclocking.

Don't own a MAC so won't comment on that OS. Windows 8.1 in desktop mode works great. From what I've read recently, if you have Windows 8.1, you will get a free upgrade from Microsoft to Windows 10.

My signature shows my most recent computers. One desktop is home built, the other is HP. I've been happy with both approaches. Purchased the HP in June and have been VERY pleased with it. The liquid cooling is quiet and the six cores add a little extra pop for ray traces. This model also allows overclocking.

Don't own a MAC so won't comment on that OS. Windows 8.1 in desktop mode works great. From what I've read recently, if you have Windows 8.1, you will get a free upgrade from Microsoft to Windows one

One of my lap tops has windows 8.1 and I hate it. Let me know if you get more info on the upgrade I would like to do that.

Joey, I have a curiosity question. What part of Windows 8.1 do you hate? I stay in the desktop mode, have it basically configured just like Windows 7 and previous Windows OS's - works great for me. I especially like Windows 8 because is handles multiple monitors much better (on PC has three monitors, the other has two).

From what I've read recently, Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been. The funky 'modern UI' stuff now display as re-sizable windows when in desktop mode and for those that want it, the start menu is back (never used it so didn't miss it). Also, Windows 10 is supposed to finally scale correctly even for the UHD monitors. Oh, and technical preview of Windows 10 was released last Tuesday.

I put mine in desk top mode also. I just think it is really awkward compared to other versions. It was set up for touch screen and I think that is why it is the way it is. I think they should of figured a way to make so you can still have the traditional desk top. They sort of did that but not very good. I think they really missed the mark. I think its even worse than windows vista. XP in my opinion has been the best ever as far as user friendly. I hope they do a better job with the next version.

Joey:

Vista was decent after SP2 - my laptop is still Vista

Win7 is similar to Vista

which is why I went with it instead of Win 8.1 for my desktop in Jan

When I next need a desktop or laptop I will move on to Win 10 or later

Lew

I have my computers built and configured by a local "computer guy".  That way you get exactly what you need, a little more money stays local, and your service is nearby instead of India.

I used to have a  local "computer guy" build my computers,  I now use a computer guy up in Cupertino to build all of my computers.

• Upvote 1

I went custom .... like the outfit I chose .... they study hardware options and look for parts that have the lowest failure rates .... do heat tests etc. before your machine goes out the door .... you can monitor the process of your build on a daily basis.  No bloatware installed.  You can configure based upon many options.  Great support and lots of good techy articles etc. on their website ... www.pugetsystems.com.

Get as much as you can afford .... Good processor and MB; SSD for programs; HD for data; lots of RAM; good power supply, best video card you can afford (I like Nvidia), etc.  I wouldn't use a small case.  Tom's Hardware has lots of in depth articles on components:  http://www.tomshardware.com/

Also, as we age, bigger monitors are better so I wouldn't skimp on monitor(s) either if that is part of your upgrade.  I am using two in the 23"/24" size range and sometimes wish I had a 27" in the middle.  Some Chiefer's are going much bigger and liking it.

Good luck.  Let us know what you come up with.

one of my rules is to get as much in the box as you can afford now

for items that can't be upgraded later

especially if the upgrade can be done externally via USB etc

buy what you need now but plan for the future

if so, then a PC can meet your needs for 4-5+ years instead of 2-3 years

get a decent power supply - probably 800W+ range

Lew

I spoke to my son and he buys a lot of his components through newegg.com and some from Fry's electronics and even alienware. I think with all the information I have been given I think I will build a system myself using his help and the technical information that you have all shared with me.

I have been using AVG as an antivirus and I also herd some good things about system mechanic. Any thoughts on that?

Thank You