Drawing & Inputting Dimensions

kwhitt

I'm laying out an interior space and want to input dimensions using the tab key.  I have setup all my default dimensions to recognize wall surfaces, yet when I draw, they always resort to exterior dimensions.  Please see attached for what I want to achieve.  I have tried drawing the walls clockwise and counterclockwise with not success.  What am I missing here?  Thanks.

measure.jpg

DBX.jpg

There's got to be a way to do this.  For example, I am redesigning a bathroom for a client.  When I measure the existing space, I am measuring from inside the room - drywall to drywall.  I have yet to figure out a way to enter dimensions in this way.  I would appreciate any help with this.

12 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

Looks like you need to also uncheck "Locate Interior Wall Centers" 

Robert - that seems to work under NKBA standards, but doesn't help me when I am actually drawing the walls (only when moving them or resizing them).  The walls always comply with the outside wall layer.  When I measure an as-built it is always from the inside from drywall to drywall.  I find it hard to believe we can't draw walls this way.

Robert thanks for the help.  I've got it set up the same way, but the temp dims don't denote the inside of the wall no matter what I do.  Further, as stated above, I am looking for drywall to drywall dims (which I know equates to surfaces in DBX).  Maybe I didn't explain very well, but I want to size the wall lengths as I draw them from the perspective of measurements I took from within the room (wallboard to wallboard) - like I can do in AutoCAD.  This would be a HUGE time saver especially when designing a single room...

01.jpg

02.jpg

Not sure if I understand what you are wanting the program to do. I don't know about the exterior dimension, but for sure the interior temporary dimensions can be set to dimension to the drywall. As you mentioned, that would be selecting "locate wall surface"

Robert - I don't know how else I can say it.  I want to draw my walls based on interior measurements I took (wallboard to wallboard), use the tab key while drawing each individual wall, input the dimension I want, and have CA draw it.  However, the dims default to the outside wall layers no matter what setting I change.  I appreciate the replies.

4 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Robert - I don't know how else I can say it.  I want to draw my walls based on interior measurements I took (wallboard to wallboard), use the tab key while drawing each individual wall, input the dimension I want, and have CA draw it.  However, the dims default to the outside wall layers no matter what setting I change.  I appreciate the replies.

Change your Temporary Dimension Defaults to Locate Wall Surface.  Also, make yourself familiar with Default Settings>Walls>General Wall>Resize About.  You might want to change the Resize About Layer to Inner Surface...at least during the initial draw process.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Change your Temporary Dimension Defaults to Locate Wall Surface.  Also, make yourself familiar with Default Settings>Walls>General Wall>Resize About.  You might want to change the Resize About Layer to Inner Surface...at least during the initial draw process.

Michael - Resize about set to "inner surface" did the trick.  Thank you very much!

5 minutes ago, stoneriver said:

Here's one solution.

Under Wall Type Definitions, move drywall layers to the Main Layer region.

Now temporary dimensions apply to the surface of your drywall.

Would strongly advise against this and is unnecessary as illustrated by Michael's post. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, kwhitt said:

like I can do in AutoCAD

It's faster in CA to "roughly" drop the walls in place and then move them with Dimensions to their final location with the Temp Dims.

Simply click the wall running perpendicular to the wall length you want to change (1) (ignoring the current wall length)  and select the perpendicular temp dim. and change it to the desired size.(2) ie 6ft = (3)  , Now Click the 6ft Wall and use the Temp dim. to set 11' for this example for a 6' x 11' Room

image.thumb.png.6e8fa9a8c883df7e1579fc63f6da0de0.png image.thumb.png.9f7626aabe9aea22d61de3ed92683f86.png image.thumb.png.7ed0ceed7329f858b51a989c89020e79.png image.thumb.png.cb0c528ab35725b723745a7b7eebbbb6.png 

• Like 1

Mick - thanks for the input.  I am familiar with CA's recommended method and I don't agree.  I don't see how this can be faster than entering the length correctly from the start.  I've been doing it this way in AutoCAD for years - perhaps that's why this is more comfortable for me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Mick - thanks for the input.  I am familiar with CA's recommended method and I don't agree.  I don't see how this can be faster than entering the length correctly from the start.  I've been doing it this way in AutoCAD for years - perhaps that's why this is more comfortable for me.

Kevin, I've a feeling you're not in AutoCAD anymore!image.thumb.png.291370b765145fbadf47b9d094862a95.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kwhitt said:

On a basic square Room you can enter the dim. in the Wall length and everything should (may) work fine but once you go past that eg  L shaped buildings, lots of bumps in and out etc CA may not react to the measurement entered if you use the wall length to try and change the Room size this is because Chief can't shift the wall opposite, which is why CA recommends using the Perpendicular wall and the Temp Dim. Method.

Your Pic of the Temporary Dims. DBX above shows it Set incorrectly, (to locate surfaces), Robert's pic is also incorrect, both show locating the Wall Dimension Layer ie Framing, you should not need to change the resize about Option for this to work properly......

image.thumb.png.208c67e91b4e5aaef1eab85ad37587d9.png

If the Temporary Wall Length Display bothers or confuses the issue turn it off under Defaults>Wall>General>Show Wall length While Editing. so you only see the needed Temp Dim.

image.thumb.png.61dc28c76b17d0f8fe8765fda9255724.png

You also may want to make copies of your 1/4 Annotation and 1/4 Dimension Default and Set Them up for Surfaces, ( Temp dims use some settings from the currently active Dimension Default too) so you can switch back and forwards if needed to Framing Dims or Surfaces , which is pretty fast if you also have a Surfaces Saved Plan View too.

You would need to switch Temp. Dims back to Wall Dimension Layer too but I have an Icon for Temp. Dims to open and edit the Defaults quickly ( 2-3 radio buttons.) if needed.

Something to play with , use at your own risk.....

Using Surfaces for Dimensions.plan

M.

• Upvote 1

Mick - thanks for taking the time to explain.  I can see where the method I prefer would be problematic on more complicated buildings.  For this particular job, I am just remodeling a bathroom and needed some quick walls (room layout only).

Yes, my original settings were incorrect, but I got them sorted.

I don't follow you on not needing to change the resize about option.  This was the only option that allowed me to input dims and have them correspond to the inner drywall layer.  When set at default, it would draw from the outside whether I drew clockwise or counter.

I'm still getting my head around using layers and saved plan views.  I can see where they can be a powerful tools, but am still a bit confused by what dims to put on what layer.  I was going to spend tomorrow doing exactly what you suggest by making copies of the 1/4 annos and 1/4 dim defaults.  Do changing these defaults only effect the current plan or is it a global change that occurs?  I don't want to mess things up for the sake of an experiment.

Thanks for the file.  I'll take a look tomorrow.  I appreciate that everyone is so helpful on this forum...

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

On a basic square Room you can enter the dim. in the Wall length and everything should (may) work fine but once you go past that eg  L shaped buildings, lots of bumps in and out etc CA may not react to the measurement entered if you use the wall length to try and change the Room size this is because Chief can't shift the wall opposite, which is why CA recommends using the Perpendicular wall and the Temp Dim. Method.

Your Pic of the Temporary Dims. DBX above shows it Set incorrectly, (to locate surfaces), Robert's pic is also incorrect, both show locating the Wall Dimension Layer ie Framing, you should not need to change the resize about Option for this to work properly......

image.thumb.png.208c67e91b4e5aaef1eab85ad37587d9.png

If the Temporary Wall Length Display bothers or confuses the issue turn it off under Defaults>Wall>General>Show Wall length While Editing. so you only see the needed Temp Dim.

image.thumb.png.61dc28c76b17d0f8fe8765fda9255724.png

You also may want to make copies of your 1/4 Annotation and 1/4 Dimension Default and Set Them up for Surfaces, ( Temp dims use some settings from the currently active Dimension Default too) so you can switch back and forwards if needed to Framing Dims or Surfaces , which is pretty fast if you also have a Surfaces Saved Plan View too.

You would need to switch Temp. Dims back to Wall Dimension Layer too but I have an Icon for Temp. Dims to open and edit the Defaults quickly ( 2-3 radio buttons.) if needed.

Some to play with , use at your own risk.....

Using Surfaces for Dimensions.plan

M.

21 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I don't follow you on not needing to change the resize about option.  This was the only option that allowed me to input dims and have them correspond to the inner drywall layer.  When set at default, it would draw from the outside whether I drew clockwise or counter.

Using your Input method ( wall length) this maybe true ? , not if you use the Preferred Method...

23 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Do changing these defaults only effect the current plan or is it a global change that occurs?  I don't want to mess things up for the sake of an experiment.

Only in the Plan in question ...have a look in my posted plan, it is done for you....  If you decide to use it permanently you would do it in your Template File or Save your existing Plan as the Template File.

Defaults are Plan Specific while Preferences are Global Settings.  So any Default you want in all future Drawings you need to change in the Default Template File , so they are retained for all Drawings.

M.

• Upvote 1

This conversation seems to have become messy and overly complicated with various bits of bad advice thrown in to further confuse matters. 

First of all, the OP indicated the he was wanting to input dimensions using the tab key.  This is one of the most efficient ways a person could possibly draw if they get good at it.  Why draw an object and then move it later if you can efficiently and effectively just draw it correctly from the get go?  In order to use the tab entry method, a person has to know what exactly Chief is using as the basis for the length of that wall.  If you took all your measurements from the interior drywall surface, then it is imperative that you properly set Resize About.  Chief didn't give us the tool so we could ignore it.  Its a useful tool.  Use it.

Secondly, the OP indicated that he wanted to see the Temporary Dimensions locate the interior dimensions of the room from surface to surface in both directions.  In order for this to happen, the Temporary Dimension defaults must be adjusted appropriately.  This has nothing to do with Dimension Defaults.  Furthermore, in WILL NOT work as desired/requested unless both the Temporary Dimensions and the Resize About settings are set correctly.

Thirdly, there have been some suggestions with regard to adjusting wall definitions.  While these suggestions are a bit debatable, and might help in the short term, they can cause all sorts of other problems later on down the road and if they can be avoided then they definitely should be...and in this particular instance, there are other methods and tools specifically designed for the operations in question.

Lastly, to the OP,  Chief has some pretty standard ways of doing things, and those ways have their merits.  I tend to agree with your sentiments though...  It IS faster to simply draw correctly as you go IF you can use the proper tools to get really good at it, so don't be discouraged from trying to attain that goal.  Chief gave us the tools.  Don't avoid using them just because the average user doesn't.  On the same token though, don't be held back by your paradigms.  Be willing to accept that it may just work differently in Chief, and that way just might turn out to be better. 

• Upvote 1