Spherical pano backdrops

DH7777

Is there a set size/resolution I need to be looking for that will work nicely with an imported backdrop that can be used as a Spherical backdrop in walkthroughs? I  know how to import backdrops that can be used but I don't like the limited stock "spherical" options CA offers. I need some more. I find panoramic pictures online and import them into chief and they end up being blurry distorted and huge! There has got to be a way to get more backdrops. Not regular backdrops...Spherical panoramic backdrops. Any suggestions or help with would be great.

1 hour ago, DH7777 said:

Is there a set size/resolution I need to be looking for that will work nicely with an imported backdrop that can be used as a Spherical backdrop in walkthroughs? I  know how to import backdrops that can be used but I don't like the limited stock "spherical" options CA offers. I need some more. I find panoramic pictures online and import them into chief and they end up being blurry distorted and huge! There has got to be a way to get more backdrops. Not regular backdrops...Spherical panoramic backdrops. Any suggestions or help with would be great.

CA severely limits the resolution of the spherical image upon import and their is no known work-around to speak of( that I know of). Typically it's worth the lil bit of effort to create an environment yourself...it will look more realistic that way anyway. There are a few empty house models I uploaded in my symbols and content thread located in my sig to create a realistic scene, take a look.

12 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

CA severely limits the resolution of the spherical image upon import and their is no known work-around to speak of( that I know of). Typically it's worth the lil bit of effort to create an environment yourself...it will look more realistic that way anyway. There are a few empty house models I uploaded in my symbols and content thread located in my sig to create a realistic scene, take a look.

Sounds good. Thanks

• 2 years later...

Okay. But making a spherical backdrop should be easy, when we are at the clients home most cell phones will do panorama shots.  Any idea what settings will work best?

DH7777 is correct about the limits of what CA offers, but every 3d image I've seen Rene create has very nice spherical backdrops.  It cannot be too hard to make the right edits in PS if we know what the rules are.

30 minutes ago, jtcapa1 said:

Okay. But making a spherical backdrop should be easy, when we are at the clients home most cell phones will do panorama shots.  Any idea what settings will work best?

DH7777 is correct about the limits of what CA offers, but every 3d image I've seen Rene create has very nice spherical backdrops.  It cannot be too hard to make the right edits in PS if we know what the rules are.

I personally only use spherical 2:1 ratio. If my pano does not fill a sphere then I auto fill and force a sphere.
If you want to instead simply load your pano, then set the option to spherical, determine the degree of rotation of your original shot in both the vertical(H) and horizontal(W) FOV. Then set your backdrop in chief to be 4*W and 1*H
So that a pano you shot with a W of 135 degrees and a H of 90 degrees should be set as a spherical rendering with horizontal at 540 and vertical at 90. Keep in mind your pano will have clipping at top and bottom. Only useful for interior shots
You can always double your canvas width in Ps, dupe your pano, flip it and abut. This turns it into an infinite 360 pano.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Rene,

I bought a 3d camera to document my as built projects prior to doing renovation and addition drawings.  I was wondering if could offer any advice for creating somewhat realistic neighborhood spherical background pictures so that I could drop my model into the actual neighborhood of the project?

The camera that I bought is the RICOH THETA SC2

On 1/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, Doug_N said:

could drop my model into the actual neighborhood of the project?

Not easy unless you have an empty lot, in this condition, the type or capabilities of the camera make little difference. Your fixed point of origin would need to be inside of the house. You’d be better off taking a regular camera, circling the house, and attempting to stitch it in post edit.

i only do my spherical panos on empty lots.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:34 AM, Renerabbitt said:

Not easy unless you have an empty lot, in this condition, the type or capabilities of the camera make little difference. Your fixed point of origin would need to be inside of the house. You’d be better off taking a regular camera, circling the house, and attempting to stitch it in post edit.

i only do my spherical panos on empty lots.

Rene,

Well that is disappointing to hear.  

Thanks for your feedback though.  I will have to find another way to do the in situ background.  CA certainly doesn't make this aspect easy,

Doug

34 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Rene,

Well that is disappointing to hear.  

Thanks for your feedback though.  I will have to find another way to do the in situ background.  CA certainly doesn't make this aspect easy,

Doug

It’s not really Chief, it’s the condition itself. It’s the same problem that every billion dollar corporation has in regards to spherical stereoscopic renderings. How do you stitch multiple images taken from different perspectives into a spherical rendering when your axis of rotation is not a single fixed point.

your camera works fine on an empty lot