How to convert manufactur libraray to CA????

goldhunter_2

I am a newbie to CA software cad work (it's very different for the old drafting table and pencil I remember) I am using Chief Architect X10 to design a home for myself . I want to use Nudura ICF walls and Quadlock ICF floors and roof, Both these company's offer free technical data and BIM library but there information is in a different file type and frankly I just am not smart enough to figure out how to import to CA file type.  The CA X10 does have ICF walls which I can manual modify to match NUDURA Plus 6" walls , but nothing close to Quadlock floor & roof panels.

Chief architect offers additional library items on there site both free and purchase library items with import fine. Chief Architect uses a file type of  ".calib" but the manufactures use more standard file types of .RVT  or .DWG or DWF or RFA and Chief Architect software does not open them.

My question is how do I import these manufactures library items so they work in Chief Architect X10?

.RVT = AutoDesk REVIT project file; contains 3D data but also BIM data and other project information

.RFA = AutoDesk REVIT family file; generally contains 3D data that defines an object or group of objects

.DWG = AutoDesk AutoCAD

.DWF = AutoDesk Design Web file used to display CAD data on web pages and within web applications

Of these file formats which support 3D data, Chief can import only DWG files. Converting RVT/RFA to DWG is possible but requires REVIT.

35 minutes ago, goldhunter_2 said:

I am a newbie to CA software cad work (it's very different for the old drafting table and pencil I remember) I am using Chief Architect X10 to design a home for myself . I want to use Nudura ICF walls and Quadlock ICF floors and roof, Both these company's offer free technical data and BIM library but there information is in a different file type and frankly I just am not smart enough to figure out how to import to CA file type.  The CA X10 does have ICF walls which I can manual modify to match NUDURA Plus 6" walls , but nothing close to Quadlock floor & roof panels.

Chief architect offers additional library items on there site both free and purchase library items with import fine. Chief Architect uses a file type of  ".calib" but the manufactures use more standard file types of .RVT  or .DWG or DWF or RFA and Chief Architect software does not open them.

My question is how do I import these manufactures library items so they work in Chief Architect X10?

Consider Chief as more of a flat data tool, you won't be able to accomplish a true energy model/BIM evaluation with CA.. If the end goal here is to create construction documents, than chief is more than capable of creating sections that can be modified to look exactly like the quad lock systems you are looking to specify. 

You can either modify a live view in a CAD space or you can create these panels in 3d and manually place them, making the live section look accurate with a few workarounds....the former being less cumbersome for a single job application.

I guess the question to start with would be, what are you looking to accomplish by importing these systems, and is this something you will be doing more than once(designing your home)?

• Upvote 1

rlackore, I see the CA import DWG but when I import CA opens but never opens file ............. sounds like I probably am doing something wrong and will need to work with it some more

renerabbitt,  yes the goal is to end up with construction documents to get permitting. No I doubt I would use this dally like a professional architect My intent is more a personal use hopefully a one time thing for my home.  You said I can create the QUADLOCK  panels in 3D and save to library  do I have to draw for scratch or can I import a basic drawing some how then edit?  (I will also need to spend some more learning time with the 3d feature)

18 minutes ago, goldhunter_2 said:

rlackore, I see the CA import DWG but when I import CA opens but never opens file ............. sounds like I probably am doing something wrong and will need to work with it some more

renerabbitt,  yes the goal is to end up with construction documents to get permitting. No I doubt I would use this dally like a professional architect My intent is more a personal use hopefully a one time thing for my home.  You said I can create the QUADLOCK  panels in 3D and save to library  do I have to draw for scratch or can I import a basic drawing some how then edit?  (I will also need to spend some more learning time with the 3d feature)

Please use the @ mention tool to give us notification when you've responded..I get a ton of responses :)

Do you have a PDF you con post here for reference, probably a pretty quick process to build from scratch, I'd at least take a look.

26 minutes ago, goldhunter_2 said:

There are two DWG import options - Import Drawing will only open 2D data; Import 3D Symbol will import 3D data:

import.thumb.PNG.21e04214c06381a4da2737320eb5f8a1.PNG

So, the lesson is that you have to be sure what kind of data is contained within the DWG file.

11 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Please use the @ mention tool to give us notification when you've responded..I get a ton of responses :)

Do you have a PDF you con post here for reference, probably a pretty quick process to build from scratch, I'd at least take a look.

the best PDF drawings I have are on the install manual stating on page 8 https://www.quadlock.com/technical_library/manual/Quad-Deck-Design-Manual.pdf

image.thumb.png.66cbdb3f5b37ec1885fd7debcdaee191.png

4 minutes ago, rlackore said:

There are two DWG import options - Import Drawing will only open 2D data; Import 3D Symbol will import 3D data:

import.thumb.PNG.21e04214c06381a4da2737320eb5f8a1.PNG

So, the lesson is that you have to be sure what kind of data is contained within the DWG file.

I used the first DWG import I will try the other 3d import thanks, if not I will try a manual 3d draw like renerabbitt is discussing

Goldhunter, I wouldn't get wrapped up in worrying about modeling the details of the Quadlock system. You could use something as simple as a general framing member with the correct width and height and a concrete material, or a polyline solid, etc. This should be enough for general design purposes - eventually Quadlock will produce shop drawings which you can review to ensure they meet your design intent. The same goes for the ICFs. Where you cut sections you can use some CAD work to indicate the components if you need the extra level of detail. These are some of the techniques I use for concrete plank, ICF, and SIP design.

1 hour ago, goldhunter_2 said:

the best PDF drawings I have are on the install manual stating on page 8 https://www.quadlock.com/technical_library/manual/Quad-Deck-Design-Manual.pdf

image.thumb.png.66cbdb3f5b37ec1885fd7debcdaee191.png

Here's a start, 7 inch assembly built to spec.

It's 3 components with the thought that you would need to cut the assembly width depending on your floor dimensions. The center components are equilateral for ease of use but have a stretch plane on one side only to simulate a larger cut out of the foam into the neighboring component. Unblock it to get the individual components as symbols and add to your library. I did not bother modeling the z bar.

Capture.thumb.PNG.49b83a2c1e0587dfd6111a1e95161330.PNG

RABS 7 INCH QUAD LOCK FLOOR COMPONENTS.calibz

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...