Tube Skylights

WAShideler

32 minutes ago, architect said:

Sorry to off topic a little... but has anyone had any real world experience with one of these tube skylights.?

I would like to put one in my home but have never seen one out in the wild.

Thanks,

Eric

Sure, we include them projects all the time. We specify the Velux sun tunnels and have good luck with them; they are useful for bringing light into hallways, interior rooms, etc. Sometimes the roof flashing is challenging if you're using a metal panel roof.

1 hour ago, architect said:

Sorry to off topic a little... but has anyone had any real world experience with one of these tube skylights.?

I would like to put one in my home but have never seen one out in the wild.

Thanks,

Eric

My own opinion: why not just buy a light fixture? Then, you can have light in the room at night as well! A solar tube will cost as much or more than the light fixture and all the electricity it will ever use (which you'll need anyway). Plus a light fixture can be placed on a dimmer giving you control of the amount of light. And in small rooms, where solar tubes are often desired (for some reason), a single light fixture keeps the ceiling uncluttered (which one gets centered in the room, the tube or the fixture?). Some folks may like the scattergun approach to littering a ceiling full of various fixtures.

And a light fixture doesn't need to penetrate your building envelope or roof surface!

They are only useful for bringing light into interior spaces in the daytime. Personally, I really enjoy a lit hallway or closet in the morning and evening, especially in the winter months!

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

My own opinion: why not just buy a light fixture? Then, you can have light in the room at night as well!

You could make the same arguments about skylights, I suppose. Why put in a skylight when a 2x4 led or fluorescent fixture could be used? The major reason is the quality of the illumination. The Velux sun tunnels have an option to include a light that can be turned on when it's dark outside; combined with a fresnel or prismatic lense they provide illumination when the sun goes down. I'm not discounting any of your concerns - just pointing out a popular option.

11 minutes ago, rlackore said:

You could make the same arguments about skylights, I suppose. Why put in a skylight when a 2x4 led or fluorescent fixture could be used? The major reason is the quality of the illumination. The Velux sun tunnels have an option to include a light that can be turned on when it's dark outside; combined with a fresnel or prismatic lense they provide illumination when the sun goes down. I'm not discounting any of your concerns - just pointing out a popular option.

I hear you, and while I expressed my own opinion on solartubes, the intent was sort of to play devil's advocate; I find many clients haven't really thought it through but rather want them just because they saw another 'shiny object'. In my experience, homeowners often see only the 'pros' of a product but often overlook the 'cons', and so I tend to bring 'Negative Nelly' to the conversation in hopes that the end decision is well thought out. And budget is often a factor that clients building a home have a tough time sticking to.

Locally, a velux solar tube costs $504 CAD (not installed), and the light fixture it would replace costs $16.00 plus bulbs - $4.00 (not installed).

And I wouldn't make the same argument about skylights. I feel they're more of an 'architectural' element.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:21 AM, tommy1 said:

You'll probably need to put a normal skylight in, resize and reshape it if you want to see it from the interior.

That's what I thought, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make a square skylight round!

I know it can be done (or at least I think it can)!  Any help would be greatly appreciated in steering me to the settings I need to make it happen.

TIA

Bill

1 hour ago, WAShideler said:

That's what I thought, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make a square skylight round!

I know it can be done (or at least I think it can)!  Any help would be greatly appreciated in steering me to the settings I need to make it happen.

TIA

Bill

Don't try to make a square skylight round.  Instead, try to make a round something into a Skylight/Roof Hole:

1. Draw a Circle
  2. Convert Curve To Polyline
  3. Convert Polyline to Hole In Roof/Custom Ceiling

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Don't try to make a square skylight round.  Instead, try to make a round something into a Skylight/Roof Hole:

1. Draw a Circle
  2. Convert Curve To Polyline
  3. Convert Polyline to Hole In Roof/Custom Ceiling

Thanks for the tip./..However, the Hole in Roof /Custom Ceiling is grayed out...Do I need to do this in the attic or something?

Thanks for the feed back on my off topic q. .... Maybe just a pair of miners lights on my head and I am done.

Actually I never installed the exhaust outlet to exterior in a windowless 1/2 bath and solatube makes a skylight/vent combo.

They also can install and electrical light....

Thanks

For what it's worth. I've specified Solatubes and Velux Sun Tunnels. The Solatubes provide more light, which I suspect is because of their patent on the collector element. The first time, it was for a large log home that had been constructed from 4 small log homes and was depressingly dark. The change was dramatic. I've had them in my own home's interior rooms in Indiana and love them. No condensation issues or leaks, and no maintenance so far after 8 years.