Changing Wall Height

buildinthevoid

Hey newbie here, I can't seem to figure out how to change the height of a specific wall. When I double click the wall I want to change, I move down to components and change the wall size formula but no changes seem to be made. I want it to be a precise measurement and adjusting the wall manually won't let me get it to the exact measurement I need. Any help would be much appreciated

Capture.thumb.PNG.d3311e3c3a2af36b57636cdc0afb2855.PNGCapture1.thumb.PNG.b3186e693949d3c8ab5d1b6eb9a3ef1f.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.b120dbf6db2711852691c9075f161641.PNG

There is likely a better way to go about what you are doing but not knowing the reason or understanding the structure I can't comment at the moment.

If you want to go about it your way in a more precise manner you can grab the top control handle as you have illustrated in the first screen shot and as you are pulling the wall top up or down hit your tab key and it will allow you to enter an exact measurement for adjustment.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Chieftalk.

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

There is likely a better way to go about what you are doing but not knowing the reason or understanding the structure I can't comment at the moment.

If you want to go about it your way in a more precise manner you can grab the top control handle as you have illustrated in the first screen shot and as you are pulling the wall top up or down hit your tab key and it will allow you to enter an exact measurement for adjustment.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Chieftalk.

Thanks a lot I didn't know of that option

dragging walls should only be used when necessary

doing it wrong can really mess up the plan

use the room settings to change wall heights

or make the wall a half wall and then set accordingly

watch the videos on the various techniques for setting wall heights and ceiling heights

Lew

Unless you have no other way to control a wall height...then grab it and pull it down.  However, this is not a very good practice.  

Rooms control wall heights...if possible create a "room" using invisible walls and then change the room height.  This of course will change the ceiling height also...which you may not want...but, you can just adjust the ceiling height in the room DBX.  My two cents...

• Like 1

Changes made on the components panel do not usually affect the 3D model.  These changes would typically be used to modify the materials list or schedule information.

As a general rule, adjusting the room's floor and ceiling is the best approach.  When you have a particular wall that is not being used to define a room, a half-wall (or solid rail) works well.  For most other cases, editing the wall shape in an elevation view is the approach that works best.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi, I am very late to this post but I have a question regarding changing the wall height in the 3D window. I realize that this question above was asked when CAX11 was the current version.

I watched a few videos on the new features in CAX11,12,13 & 14 from Chief Experts and saw Dan edit a wall in 3D. I’m not sure which version he was demonstrating but I think he said that “when you edit a wall height, the room definition changes and you can no longer auto rebuild the room” or something to that effect ??? I haven’t been able to find that video again and it may have been on the new features in CAX11 ??? Does anyone know what this is about or what version he may have been demonstrating ? It’s annoying not being able to find that resource again.

I have conducted several tests in CAX10 and X15 trial with adjusting a wall up past the default ceiling height in 3D (single story house) and I can’t see that affecting the room definitions ??? Could be a special case or in a two story dwelling maybe ???

Thank you for any help in advance.

6 hours ago, mthd97 said:

I’m not sure which version he was demonstrating but I think he said that “when you edit a wall height, the room definition changes and you can no longer auto rebuild the room” or something to that effect

Changing the top or the bottom of the wall has no effect on any Room Definition. Rather, Rooms control the default top and bottom of walls...so you just need to keep in mind that when you manually change the top or bottom of a wall, that editing action will now prevent a wall from rebuilding correctly if/when a room height or floor height is changed. 

By 'height' I am of course referring to the vertical distance between a floor and ceiling / roof. Does that make sense?

For example, let's assume you have a house with an 8' ceiling. Then, for whatever reason, you manually drag the top of a wall up, let's say 7".  Next week, your client informs you that they actually want a 10 ceiling on that floor level. The wall that was adjusted manually will not build to the correct height...it would now be 14" too short!

• Like 1

@mthd97 -

If you ever manually adjust a wall top or bottom...for whatever reason, the wall disconnects from the default height or bottom...or sometimes both depending on you it was manually edited. If you open the wall dialogue and go to the structure tab and you see the box for "Default Wall Top Height"...or bottom is not unchecked and no longer grayed out...this wall will no longer move at all no matter what you do to a room or floor height change. 

The bottom line is that rooms defined wall heights and the "best practice" is to not manually move your walls up/down. 

2024-03-21_09-26-19.thumb.png.cf7c064072aff696d09a12097702cb53.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robdyck said:

Changing the top or the bottom of the wall has no effect on any Room Definition. Rather, Rooms control the default top and bottom of walls...so you just need to keep in mind that when you manually change the top or bottom of a wall, that editing action will now prevent a wall from rebuilding correctly if/when a room height or floor height is changed. 

By 'height' I am of course referring to the vertical distance between a floor and ceiling / roof. Does that make sense?

For example, let's assume you have a house with an 8' ceiling. Then, for whatever reason, you manually drag the top of a wall up, let's say 7".  Next week, your client informs you that they actually want a 10 ceiling on that floor level. The wall that was adjusted manually will not build to the correct height...it would now be 14" too short!

I understand now what they were talking about. The manually edited wall will usually hold it height after ceiling height changes are made.

10 feet minus 8 feet 7 inches is 17 inches too short not 14 inches, is that right ?

Thank you for the clarification.

12 hours ago, SNestor said:

@mthd97 -

If you ever manually adjust a wall top or bottom...for whatever reason, the wall disconnects from the default height or bottom...or sometimes both depending on you it was manually edited. If you open the wall dialogue and go to the structure tab and you see the box for "Default Wall Top Height"...or bottom is not unchecked and no longer grayed out...this wall will no longer move at all no matter what you do to a room or floor height change. 

The bottom line is that rooms defined wall heights and the "best practice" is to not manually move your walls up/down. 

2024-03-21_09-26-19.thumb.png.cf7c064072aff696d09a12097702cb53.png

That certainly explains it clearly to me and thank you for the screenshot too.

I have seen some of your Chief Skills videos, great work.