Wall alignment

Evolution

On to my next project. Addition to an existing home.  I set my wall types thinking if I set resize around the main layer, would make my finished drywall layer of my exterior walls and interior walls align. Placing an interior wall between two exterior walls drywall is not aligning. Can't drag it into place even holding down cntl key, it keeps reverting back to an offset in the drywall. Searched the forum using key word wall alignment, and wall framing issue neither brought up a viable solution. Went back to general wall defaults set resize to the interior surface now the drywall layer of the two different walls that abut each other line up.  Not sure if it now causes an offset in the exterior. I guess there is no way to set the wall dbx for the different walls individually (at least I haven't discovered it). https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00798/aligning-different-thickness-walls.html

wall defaults.pdf

YARBRO RESIDENCE ADDITION.plan

1 hour ago, solver said:

There are about 47,000 ways I might place an interior wall between two exterior walls. Could you be a bit more specific?

1 hour ago, solver said:

There are about 47,000 ways I might place an interior wall between two exterior walls. Could you be a bit more specific?

Eric, the example I included, is the exterior wall of the garage, which is not directly attached to the house. There is a enclosed (hall) connector from the house to the garage, so the connector walls attach to the garage walls, and there is an interior wall (with a fire rated door ) closing off the garage from the connector. Until I set the wall to align with the interior surface the drywall of the intersecting walls would not align with the wall of the connector. I've got it taken care of now.

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Opened it up and all is as it should be, framing was lined up

Yes, but I had to change the wall layers from aligning with the main (exterior) layer to align with the interior surface, for the framing to line up. It would be nice if you could set the Default general wall and the defaults for Exterior / Interior walls separately, but that may not be a big deal.

8 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Eric, the example I included, is the exterior wall of the garage, which is not directly attached to the house. There is a enclosed (hall) connector from the house to the garage, so the connector walls attach to the garage walls, and there is an interior wall (with a fire rated door ) closing off the garage from the connector. Until I set the wall to align with the interior surface the drywall of the intersecting walls would not align with the wall of the connector. I've got it taken care of now.

Yes, but I had to change the wall layers from aligning with the main (exterior) layer to align with the interior surface, for the framing to line up. It would be nice if you could set the Default general wall and the defaults for Exterior / Interior walls separately, but that may not be a big deal.

default OOTB should be align at exterior main layer which would be correct for nearly every job I draw up. If I need to align with the main surface exterior I do that manually