Area Tabulation / Analysis Table

ACADuser

I prefer to just use polylines to define what areas to be included in my area table.
Joe did a Site Area Table routine in Ruby back in 2016 which is similar to what I am looking to do.

Process:
Create unique layer names for the area's ["AT-Living Floor1" "AT-Living Floor 2" "AT-Garage" "AT-Balcony Floor 3"]
The name prefix "AT-" [Area Table] may need to be a variable item
Create polylines around your desired spaces with named layers
Polylines with the same name will be added together.
Add macros to a Text that will display the list of names with the "AT-" removed from the names.
Sorting the names may be an issue.  Perhaps the layer names should be added to a user variable in the desired order.

Totaling the groups might be tricky but doable in a macro to be added to the text.

There are so many ways to handle an area table. It would need multiple macros for the user to assemble as desired in the TEXT to get the desired look.

I assume there is no way to do this at this time?

Attached are some of my plan area tables

No time to actually work on this week but I thought I would throw it out there.

Area 4.JPG

Area 3.JPG

Area 2.JPG

Area 1.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

I prefer to just use polylines to define what areas to be included in my area table.
Joe did a Site Area Table routine in Ruby back in 2016 which is similar to what I am looking to do.

Process:
Create unique layer names for the area's ["AT-Living Floor1" "AT-Living Floor 2" "AT-Garage" "AT-Balcony Floor 3"]
Add macros to a Text that will display the list of names with the "AT-" removed from the names.
Sorting the names may be an issue.  Perhaps the layer names should be added to a user variable in the desired order.

Totaling the groups might be tricky but doable in a macro to be added to the text.

There are so many ways to handle an area table. It would need multiple macros for the user to assemble as desired in the TEXT to get the desired look.

Area 4.JPG

Area 3.JPG

Area 2.JPG

Area 1.JPG

I've been using Joe's macros for that since he created it and never had any problems and very easily modified to whatever you need

6 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Process:

Area 4.JPG

Area 3.JPG

Area 2.JPG

Area 1.JPG

Hey Alan, this can be done and I hired Michael @Alaskan_Son to setup a repeatable and flexible system for me. His expertise has saved me quite a bit of time, and because of that, its allowed me to display this type of information earlier in the design stage.  I highly recommend consulting him, you won't regret it!

I have used both Michael & Joe's services & both are very competent & professional.

Looking at Joe's Sight Planning macro's from 2016, I think they are close to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Leaving town tomorrow so it will have to wait until next week.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Here's a pic of my system.  

Site Area Analysis.JPG

Note that this is totally dynamic.  By editing the shape/size of any of the polygon areas the data in the table is immediately updated.  This allows you to play with the areas to meet local zoning restrictions.

Joe, does this system have a name.  What do you charge for it?  Can I use it on walls and windows?

14 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Do the polylines need to be on Floor 1 or can they be on any floor to be picked up in the table?

They can be on any floor. 

As long as each Polyline is on a unique layer and the view is displayed it will pick up the data.

I'm going to investigate using the floor_number attribute to automatically name the polylines with that information.  This would make it even easier by not needing as many layers.

14 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Can I use it on walls and windows?

It can be used on Polylines in any view. 

That means you could create a Polyline of a wall in elevation view and put holes in it that would be reported.

I might need to make some tweaks to the macro to limit what is found and reported.  I would think that the report macro would definitely need to be different than for Site Analysis but it can be done.

14 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Joe, does this system have a name.  What do you charge for it?  Can I use it on walls and windows?

Hey Doug, Michael (not to take anything away from Joe) configured a system for me that works nicely for walls / windows, especially if you're referring to the requirements of NBC 9.10.15.

I also asked Michael ( @Alaskan_Son  ) to configure it to display in metric and it works great.

Here's my updated version.  It allows for Referenced Floors to have polylines displayed and automatically names them according to their floor_number.  It basically allows the same layer to be used for polylines on different floors.  But only one polyline per floor can use a layer.  IOW, each polyline on a floor must be on a different layer.

Site Area Analysis.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Here's my updated version.  It allows for Referenced Floors to have polylines displayed and automatically names them according to their floor_number.  It basically allows the same layer to be used for polylines on different floors.  But only one polyline per floor can use a layer.  IOW, each polyline on a floor must be on a different layer.

Site Area Analysis.JPG

What's your current price, I wrote my own site analysis but was never able to write a proper rescue, always needed to open up macro management to get it to refresh

When I use my site analysis I like to drag the poly lable to the tabulated area so the person I work with can just click on the number and have it highlight the box it draws it's analysis from. Easy to select that way especially on multi floors and even using blank lines

49 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

When I use my site analysis I like to drag the poly lable to the tabulated area so the person I work with can just click on the number and have it highlight the box it draws it's analysis from. Easy to select that way especially on multi floors and even using blank lines

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Can you explain a little more - or maybe do a video of this?

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, robdyck said:

Hey Doug, Michael (not to take anything away from Joe) configured a system for me that works nicely for walls / windows, especially if you're referring to the requirements of NBC 9.10.15.

I also asked Michael ( @Alaskan_Son  ) to configure it to display in metric and it works great.

Yes 9.10.15 is exactly what I am talking about.  Whenever a new window is added to a building the designer must create an elevation of that wall along with the area of the wall between the eaves or the uppermost ceiling (if that is lower than the eaves) and the surface of the finished grade.  Then you must show on the elevation a calculation of the gross wall area and the window area as a percentage of the gross wall area.  

For the distance from the wall to the property line, there are limits as t0 the amount of window area allowed.  Less than 1.2m no windows are allowed.

See the table included.

2019-09-21_20-29-04.thumb.jpg.4efd807bf650a2d1ce5f225084f1270e.jpg

11 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Yes 9.10.15 is exactly what I am talking about.  Whenever a new window is added to a building the designer must create an elevation of that wall along with the area of the wall between the eaves or the uppermost ceiling (if that is lower than the eaves) and the surface of the finished grade.  Then you must show on the elevation a calculation of the gross wall area and the window area as a percentage of the gross wall area.  

For the distance from the wall to the property line, there are limits as t0 the amount of window area allowed.  Less than 1.2m no windows are allowed.

See the table included.

2019-09-21_20-29-04.thumb.jpg.4efd807bf650a2d1ce5f225084f1270e.jpg

Here's a few screenshots that sort of show how I'm handling this. For the allowed ratio, I'm still consulting my code book (no macro for that) once the structures' position on the lot is confirmed by the client. The green polylines are moved to the front for working, and once completed, I select them and move them to the back where they won't be seen (if you print in color like I do). If you're printing with no color, you'd need to make some other minor adjustments. The polylines are really fast to edit to match the window sizes, but of course they do need to be manually edited as windows change. But at least I'm not reaching for my calculator and toggling between 10 different windows to check the code compliance.

image.thumb.png.2910efd8513f497766e8da40a94b3cc8.pngimage.thumb.png.d94e96f31d2c112a2ff6dec592ee88e4.pngimage.thumb.png.4c28aa41d8701d92bed813352479c0a6.pngimage.thumb.png.65ea6f8703e83224cf34cacb68e25785.png

11 hours ago, Doug_N said:

elevation of that wall along with the area of the wall between the eaves or the uppermost ceiling (if that is lower than the eaves) and the surface of the finished grade

Just curious Doug: is that how its being enforced in you area? Here, we're measuring to the uppermost ceiling, not the eaves even if they are lower than the ceiling. And of course, the eaves usually are lower than the ceiling. When this came into effect, there certainly was some confusion on this point.

Code Quote: 

1) The area of an exposing building face shall be
a) taken as the exterior wall area facing in one direction on any side of a
building, and
b) calculated as
i) the total area measured from the finished ground level to
the uppermost ceiling,

I'm working on a Wall Area Analysis for Table 9.10.15.4

I have a couple of questions:

• Is there a corresponding table for Imperial or is it just a straight conversion rounded? 
  • If rounded, how many decimal places?
  • What is "Column 1" used for?

The way I'm approaching this is with Wall Labels and Window Labels.  The Window Schedule must show each window separately so each window in a wall is counted in the total window area for that wall.

9 hours ago, robdyck said:

Just curious Doug: is that how its being enforced in you area? Here, we're measuring to the uppermost ceiling, not the eaves even if they are lower than the ceiling. And of course, the eaves usually are lower than the ceiling. When this came into effect, there certainly was some confusion on this point.

Code Quote: 

1) The area of an exposing building face shall be
a) taken as the exterior wall area facing in one direction on any side of a
building, and
b) calculated as
i) the total area measured from the finished ground level to
the uppermost ceiling,

The exposed area is taken from the elevation of the wall, so when the wall has a hip roof the wall ends at the eave.  Where the ceiling is lower than the eave, then the exposed part of the wall ends where the ceiling would stop the flame spread.  I think this is just a bit arbitrary, but welcome to the world of building code and drawing examinations.

37 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm working on a Wall Area Analysis for Table 9.10.15.4

I have a couple of questions:

• Is there a corresponding table for Imperial or is it just a straight conversion rounded? 
  • If rounded, how many decimal places?
  • What is "Column 1" used for?

The way I'm approaching this is with Wall Labels and Window Labels.  The Window Schedule must show each window separately so each window in a wall is counted in the total window area for that wall.

Joe, Column 1 is used to determine which row is being used.  So if the wall is 26m^2 then you have to use row for 30m^2.  

Note that the total area of a window in a window well is NOT used.  Only the area above the grade is included.  

In Canada only metric units are used for building code.  There are no Imperial values used.  So many drawings are done in metric units.   That being said, most plan examiners still accept imperial drawings so long as rounding is done according to the 4/5 rule.  0.4 is rounded down, 0.5 is rounded up for example.  For metres, usually, things are rounded to 2 decimal places, and for mm, no decimal places.