Setting program paths

mfortune

The computer that I use has a solid state "C" drive that is filling up, so I moved my core library to my "D" drive.  When I go into "Preferences" ---> "Folders" ---> "Program paths" I can see that Chief is still tied to the old location on the "C" drive.  Unfortunately I can't select the path to correct it..........

I'm using X8.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

I think Chief X8 was much less flexible in this regard - I don't think it provided for moving the Library separately like X10/11.  However, I think you can move the entire X8 "Data Folder" along with the User Library.

IAE, moving the Data Folder and setting it's location in Preferences is much simpler.

• Upvote 1

With older Versions it is easier to move the entire My Documents Library which is how I still do it ,  here is a Tutorial at Win10 Forums on how to do it easily.

I also move my Pictures and Video Libraries to an extra drive for "storage". to create space on C:\ ..

M.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Good idea Mick. That's a Windows install option now, I believe, but I've been doing it since you needed to build a custom Windows installation CD, and always forget to suggest it as an option.

Been a while since I've done a full reinstall ( thankfully )   but I have been doing it for years as SSDs weren't Cheap 5-7 years ago, like they are now especially for anything over 256GB, nowadays I have a 2nd SSD labelled as B:\ Drive in my Desktop and use it for the My Document library and Chief's other Downloads like installers and bonus Libraries.

Another idea that would require a small amount of technical skill is to fix the computer. Purchase a larger SSD drive and along with the purchase in addition purchase an external USB Solid State Enclosure Adapter (it will depend on the SSD style) . Plug the new SSD into the USB adapter and then use a program like Acronis and clone the drive as different size drives. (I've personally done a lot of this and it is a easy and convenient fix that allows older machines a little longer life). Unplug old/smaller SSD drive from computer and plug new drive into computer.... and your now fixed....... use old SSD in the adapter for a great portable drive or as an extension of your current machine.

kw