Realistic walkthroughs?

DH7777

I can get pretty good realistic interior camera views. Chief needs to come up with a much better and easier way to achieve realistic exterior views ( I can get lighting and sun just right and then ray trace 10,000 passes and it doesn't look any different than 30 passes!!!). As expensive as this program is you should not have to purchase another expensive outside source program like "Lumion" to get nice exterior views. That said, is there a trick to getting none cartoon-like, fake-looking walkthroughs?  Every walk through people post on youtube done in C.A. looks ridiculous... Please tell me I can accom plish realistic walkthroughs. I would even settle for my best exterior quality ray traces for my walkthroughs. Can you even ray trace walkthroughs or edit them to look better than what your model plan looks like in the workspace? Really frustrated with C.A. on this issue. We need quality renderings and walkthroughs at my company for many reasons. Lumion is awesome but it is $4000.00 and it is ONLY for taking your already designed plans from whatever program you created them in and then bringing them to life. Even examples of Sketchup's new rendering program makes C.A. look like it's still in kindergarten.  Please help me please my boss!

1 hour ago, DH7777 said:

As expensive as this program is you should not have to purchase another expensive outside source program like "Lumion" to get nice exterior views.

Just poking fun but ironically the quoted text explains itself...CA is for drafting and design first and foremost and it warrants its price tag, Lumion is expensive because it takes a lot to develop a rendering platform of this level. 

1 hour ago, DH7777 said:

Even examples of Sketchup's new rendering program makes C.A. look like it's still in kindergarten.

Here's the good news, CA exports to sketchup quite beautifully using 3ds exporting. Go render walk-throughs in sketchup free, you wont be disappointed...and it really is fast to go from concept to finish from CA to skp.

• Like 1

Renerabbitt, Thank you for the good news. One question...say for an exterior elevation view, do I just export that view with all my landscaping etc. as 3ds file and work with that picture or do I export the model and redo all materials in SketchUp? And also what about walkthroughs? Any luck or advice with that?

6 minutes ago, DH7777 said:

kwhitt,

I tried to download Twinmotion to play with it myself and it keeps saying page not available. Not sure what's going on. 

Think you have to create an account first and then download the Epic Games installer.  It's really quite easy to use and gives good results without much effort.  I learned enough of the program to create my first render over the span of one weekend.  Exporting from CA using .dae brings everything in nicely.  You can even add animated people and cars to your renders/walk-thrus.

49 minutes ago, DH7777 said:

Renerabbitt, Thank you for the good news. One question...say for an exterior elevation view, do I just export that view with all my landscaping etc. as 3ds file and work with that picture or do I export the model and redo all materials in SketchUp? And also what about walkthroughs? Any luck or advice with that?

I personally only use CA's materials for placemarkers if I plan on rendering externally. Renderings such as this are 100% materials outside of CA:

1445735992_CHICCOTTAGE-Camera2(ACT-LOCKED).thumb.png.9595961793a6e6532a5074a4316532bf.png

Also landscaping is easy and robust in sketchup using 3d warehouse.

I honestly don't do many walkthroughs, I typically do linked renderings or 3d renderings for VR headsets or FB uploads:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I personally only use CA's materials for placemarkers if I plan on rendering externally. Renderings such as this are 100% materials outside of CA:

1445735992_CHICCOTTAGE-Camera2(ACT-LOCKED).thumb.png.9595961793a6e6532a5074a4316532bf.png

I honestly don't do many walkthroughs, I typically do linked renderings or 3d renderings for VR headsets or FB uploads:

These are amazing! You GOOD!!! This is what I need to accomplish.  So all these are done in sketchup rendering? I used to use sketchup a lot but the free version handicaps me every time I try to do something I tried again to use it earlier. It always stops me and wants me to upgrade! I can't even import into this free version, there isn't even the option to import just export and all the files you would want to export ....upgrade!. You mentioned using  "Free" SketchUp to access, I guess their rendering extensions? I'm pretty good at figuring things out but can you tell me step by step how to download SketchUp FREE, and then what?  I thought I did sign up for free Sketchup but it's more like a playground to try it. I feel like I can't move my mouse without it wanting me to upgrade upgrade upgrade. The old version of free schetckup you can do a ton. Even download from 3D warehouse.  it appears not anymore though.  Do I download a certain rendering extension ( I saw twenty plus to choose from in the extension warehouse and some are not free). I'm lost.... I got a lot of money invested in CA and AutoCad, I can't afford another program to do what you just presented which is in my opinion VERY PROFESSIONAL WORK!  Really impressed.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I am not you competition as I am in Tennessee not California :-)

4 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Think you have to create an account first and then download the Epic Games installer.  It's really quite easy to use and gives good results without much effort.  I learned enough of the program to create my first render over the span of one weekend.  Exporting from CA using .dae brings everything in nicely.  You can even add animated people and cars to your renders/walk-thrus.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did create an account and then when I clicked download Epic Games installer/launcher my screen went white wit "Can't reach this site" or something like that.

1 minute ago, DH7777 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did create an account and then when I clicked download Epic Games installer/launcher my screen went white wit "Can't reach this site" or something like that.

I'd try again when you have the time.  I think you'll be impressed with the quality of the rendering.

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Rene - really great looking work.  I'm also curious what software you used for rendering.

9 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

@DH7777I'm on paid versions, so I guess I can't speak to the free platform anymore, I'd say give them a call, pretty sure the free version is web-based now.

@kwhitt I'm using the Thea render plugin...and thank you!

Are you using Shop, pro or studio Sketchup and is Thea a  free extension?

2 minutes ago, DH7777 said:

Are you using Shop, pro or studio Sketchup and is Thea a  free extension?

I wouldn't recommend the free version of SketchUp.  It's web-based and they have stripped all the cool tools from it.  Try to get a hold of SketchUp Make - this was the free version previously and much more robust.  That said, SketchUp is only $300 per year, but I understand you not wanting to invest in more software.  I've got quite the (expensive) collection myself!

6 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

FWIW, I don't think Chiefs' walk-thru tool has changed much - if at all - in the last 10 years.

That is a long way from the truth Joe.  Just in the last few years they have fixed some serious bugs and allowed 8K recording.

Once PBR gets a little more refined the walkthrough tool will see a lot more use.