iMac Pro Computer

Chris50

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 5:56 AM, Chris50 said:

Hey Scott, how does the iMac compare to a regular windows based pc ?? Is it faster for rendering? Any problems?

I've played with this and it feels to me that Mac version of CA runs a bit better.  It's not super noticeable, but after spending some time in the app it just felt a bit snappier.

So you know, I was using the exact same processor in the PC as Mac (it was a hackintosh).  The graphics card in the PC was theoretically better even.

My iMac is old so I had Puget Systems build me a windows machine.  It works great. 

Back in X7 days, I would share plan files created on my mac with a windows CA user and the text would often get all out of whack.  Not sure if that's still a thing.

I love the macOS as a platform but their H/W could be more robust if it carries a "pro" moniker. 

My iMac is 5+ years old and still works just fine for creating plans in Chief...a new iMac would be faster but not a whole lot faster.  Apple computers are expensive but they work.  I don’t believe a new Mac Pro will really run Chief any faster than a much lower cost iMac.  I’m waiting for the next generation iMac...which should come out in a year or so.  Hopefully...

Steve, I was actually going to send you an email regarding this. I've noticed that you use a mac in your videos. Currently I switch between my laptop and desktop to work on projects. Sometimes I'd rather sit on the patio with a glass of wine, rather than sit at my desk all day. Do you think there would be issues working on a plan on a mac desktop and them switching to a windows laptop? 

27 minutes ago, Rosco2017 said:

Steve, I was actually going to send you an email regarding this. I've noticed that you use a mac in your videos. Currently I switch between my laptop and desktop to work on projects. Sometimes I'd rather sit on the patio with a glass of wine, rather than sit at my desk all day. Do you think there would be issues working on a plan on a mac desktop and them switching to a windows laptop? 

Ross - I don't think you'd have any issues...give it a try on a project that isn't that important.  I believe Chief works across platforms seamlessly....  

There are probably others on this forum that know better...I don't use any windows products currently.