Tray Dividers In Narrow Base Cabinets

Cheryl_C_Crane

If CA would provide an option for open doors or a check to not show doors this all would make more sense. Otherwise just modifying the cabinet name should work.

I can't speak for everyone but we do a lot of custom cabinetry and getting the cabinets drawn correctly (interior and exterior) can be very important at times...especially in order to communicate and detail exactly what we're looking for to the cabinet shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I just kinda noticed for the first time, and not sure I've ever really utilized it, but under the cabinet tools there is a shelf tool.  Tray dividers seem like a perfect use.  They just need to be made to the correct height and width and inserted into the cabinet.  That tool could have came in quite handy for me in the past. 

Here's a perfect example of where being able to specify vertical partitions within a cabinet via the dialog box per Cheryl's suggestion would be nice.

post-191-0-86388200-1413385627_thumb.jpg

The center wall cabinet has an open area at the bottom in which I have placed a couple of PL solids to create 3 open cubbies that can be quickly accessed without having to open any cabinet doors.  It seems like it ought to be super easy to program this in the same fashion as the horizontal shelves work with control over number of partitions, dimensions, etc.  As Cheryl has pointed out, we should be able to place these vertical partitions in cabinets with (or without) doors on them.  Please add this feature for v17 Chief.... thanks! 

By the way, this set of cabinets is going to be a work area for building arrows etc. for a customer lady who's an avid bowhunter (and taxidermist).  She just got her 16th elk with her bow this fall.

Scott Hall is right!

If you are current with your SSA, you have access to a catalog that has a few types of objects like these.

Download it here: http://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site/detail/928

Creating custom symbols for those not represented in the catalog is a good option as well. You can always deconstruct the way we've created these objects to discover settings that we used, if you are interested in making something similar.

I personally would prefer a very simple method of creating different partition layouts within the cabinet dialog box ... as I mentioned, the vertical version of the horizontal shelves tools we now have.  I am not interested in spending extra time deconstructing/reconstructing symbols from the library or anywhere else. 

One of the big selling points of using Chief is our ability to do lots of things with various 3D objects quickly and I appreciate that.  I appreciate that we can get creative with existing tools and get innovative and create custom objects if we have the knowledge and time to do such things.  For my project, I looked at the various specialty cabinets in my bonus library and didn't feel any of them were anywhere close to what I needed.  Doing one PL solid and then making a copy was quick and I was done.  I would have preferred to add the partitions via the dialog than using PL solids.

Cheryl's a real nice lady so I think she deserves something better .... don't you Chief?  I am all for vertical "shelves" with X17 .... OK?!?!  Maybe just a shelf rotate command ... that ought to be fun figuring out. 

Dennis, how can you put a door in front to hide the tray dividers (that do not come all the way to the edge)?

Kraftmaid offers a 9" cabinet with 1 divider. Our local shops build face frame and will made wider cabinets with more than 1 divider.

I'm pretty sure that we all put at least 1 tray cabinet in every kitchen. We all like cookies, right?

post-72-0-38986300-1413399734_thumb.png

Cheryl - I JUST DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE OF WHAT OTHERS WERE SHOWING WITH POLYLINE SOLIDS. YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE AN OPTION

FOR OPEN DOORS ALONG WITH THE VERTICAL SHELF OPTION. only CA CAN DO THAT. UNLESS YOU WANT TO MANUALLY PLACE A DOOR ON A

SEPERATE LAYER AND TURN OFF AND ON AS NEEDED. You can also just designate as try divider base based on your cabinet companies nomenclature. I'm all out of options.......

I've been doing the dividers w/ poly solids for a long time. The issue is keeping them in the cabinet if the FFH is not at sea level. It doesn't matter is they are freshly drawn or part of a symbol. They aren't tied to the FFH.

When I was in Florida, I didn't know this problem existed. Now that I am a Mountain Woman, poly solids run from me!

post-72-0-66081600-1413407079_thumb.png

I personally would prefer a very simple method of creating different partition layouts within the cabinet dialog box ... as I mentioned, the vertical version of the horizontal shelves tools we now have.  I am not interested in spending extra time deconstructing/reconstructing symbols from the library or anywhere else. 

One of the big selling points of using Chief is our ability to do lots of things with various 3D objects quickly and I appreciate that.  I appreciate that we can get creative with existing tools and get innovative and create custom objects if we have the knowledge and time to do such things.  For my project, I looked at the various specialty cabinets in my bonus library and didn't feel any of them were anywhere close to what I needed.  Doing one PL solid and then making a copy was quick and I was done.  I would have preferred to add the partitions via the dialog than using PL solids.

Cheryl's a real nice lady so I think she deserves something better .... don't you Chief?  I am all for vertical "shelves" with X17 .... OK?!?!  Maybe just a shelf rotate command ... that ought to be fun figuring out. 

Thanks, CJ, I really like the shelf rotate idea. We could do # style Wine Racks behind Glass Doors for instance. Nice!

....... The issue is keeping them in the cabinet if the FFH is not at sea level. It doesn't matter is they are freshly drawn or part of a symbol. They aren't tied to the FFH........

I think you are doing something wrong...  I guarantee you are doing something wrong.  The FFH DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A SEA LEVEL.

If you want, post a small plan with a terrain, a building at 10' above sea level,  and put in two psolids,  one in the house and one out of the house, open their two dvx and set the height at 48",  if they are not 48" above the FFH and really 48" above sea level,  post the  plan and somebody will tell you what you are doing wrong.

CC,  here is your problem,  and I had this problem until recently.   DON'T BUILD THEM OUT OF PSOLIDS.  Build them out of cabinets and cabinet partitions.  Those items ARE tied to the F.F. of the house.

Give it a try,  you will be slapping the top of your head yelling,  "and I could had a V-8!"

Scott, I agree, it must be user error. But, It's been a long day & I can't predict when they will take leave and jump around, so I'll wait until I get a live example to post a plan. Appreciate your offer to help.

Most of the partition from companies like KraftMaid and Wellborne, for example, are just 1/8" thick rectangles with a clipped corner. The problem with Cabinet Parts is that you cannot Break them to clip the corner, this includes Soffits. Besides, It's just a pain in the Patoot. This is why I've been using poly solids, slabs, etc. I had saved the poly solid in the Glass House example sometime back.

I wonder if they don't like being inside a cabinet behind a door. Of course, I haven't asked them.

Here's a cool pull out from Wellborne.

post-72-0-17763600-1413409681_thumb.jpg

Cheryl - I JUST DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE OF WHAT OTHERS WERE SHOWING WITH POLYLINE SOLIDS. YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE AN OPTION

FOR OPEN DOORS ALONG WITH THE VERTICAL SHELF OPTION. only CA CAN DO THAT. UNLESS YOU WANT TO MANUALLY PLACE A DOOR ON A

SEPERATE LAYER AND TURN OFF AND ON AS NEEDED. You can also just designate as try divider base based on your cabinet companies nomenclature. I'm all out of options.......

Thanks, Dennis, I always appreciate your thoughts.

.... The problem with Cabinet Parts is that you cannot Break them to clip the corner, this includes Soffits. Besides, It's just a pain in the Patoot..........

Yeah,  I was thinking too simply.  It would be great if the psolids etc. had the option to be tied to F.F,  Terrain Elev. or 0.0 elevation.

Yeah,  I was thinking rectangles,  not curved stuff.

I made a Symbol (Door/Drawer Front) and used it in a 12" wide cabinet.  Depending on the type of front (Overlay, Frameless, Framed, etc) the parameters can be edited so the symbol fits properly it the cabinet.  The 3rd Cabinet has a Symbol with Door Face included.  The 4th Cabinet has a Glass Framed Door manually placed.

I've shown 3 pics if this to show how it works.  Note that with the Door Face as a part of the Symbol you have to have a separate symbol for each door style but placement in the cabinet is simpler.

If the Cabinet width is modified, the divider spacing is adjusted.  For cabinets that are much wider another center divider would be appropriate.

post-47-0-73551400-1413465256_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-82589800-1413465271_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-99046700-1413465290_thumb.jpg