Tray Dividers In Narrow Base Cabinets

Cheryl_C_Crane

I have been using polyline solids to draw Tray Dividers in Narrow Base Cabinets. There is that drat issue with crazy elevation data with complex terrains. 

May I ask what is the best way that you have found to define them in cross section?

Also, do you assign a custom label for tray cabinets?

Many Thanks, ~C

I don't know the best way, but I just did what you did to show in an elevation and 3D view. I suppose you could use the cabinet shelving layer and make them dashed in plan view. I just use a note on the elevation. It was in a pantry where there were no doors on the cabinets, so they show well.

I'm lost here... What does terrain have to do with tray dividers?

It shouldn't have anything to do with terrain. But, sad fact is that poly line solids draw their elevation from the height above sea level and not just the FFH when you have specified the terrain and building height. Sometimes, they seem to hop around, too.

I don't use a cabinet partition because I can't make break points, or chamfer/fillet to make it look like an actual tray partition. 

You might be suprised all the things you can make with little "cabinets".  You can also use the slab tool, mouldings, framing, and any other number of tools to create those little parts.  Once built I usually put them on their own "Custom cabinet parts" layer so they're not displayed in plan view.

You might be suprised all the things you can make with little "cabinets". You can also use the slab tool, mouldings, framing, and any other number of tools to create those little parts. Once built I usually put them on their own "Custom cabinet parts" layer so they're not displayed in plan view.

This my friend is a very very good tip. The more I think about it, the smarter it is. Boy, do I feel like a Duffis. Thanks michael, I just changed my Methodolgy for many typical conditions.

Jeez I feel stupid.

Open a blank plan.

Create your object.

Create a camera view or overview.

Select Tools> Symbol> Convert to Symbol.

Choose a Symbol Category from the drop-down list.

Check Add To Library if you would like the symbol to be added to the library.

Check Show Advanced Options to open the Symbol Specification dialog when you click OK, where you have more extensive control over the symbol’s settings.

But Bill,  convert to WHAT SYMBOL and why?  This is what is so important about this thread.  How do you want to control the elevation of the symbol/psolid/terrain feature/cabinet et al.

Should the height be a function of the TERRAIN,  or a function of absolute ZERO or a function of the FINISHED FLOOR whether it be the first floor,  second floor,  third floor etc.

This is such a great  thread for me........  

I would convert the polyline solid into a fixture or furniture symbol.  Most of the other symbol types are either very specialized or will do things you don't need for a cabinet tray.  I would also make sure to setup a stretch plane so that you can make the trays wider/narrower as needed without looking funny. 

One of the main advantages of using a symbol instead of poly solid is that you can then use the same heights you use for the cabinets.  Another advantage, is that you could even block them with the cabinet if you want them to stay together.

Now if someone was really clever, they could probably build a more sophisticated symbol that inserts into the cabinet that includes the tray(s).  I have never tried this but in theory it should work similar to how some of the other cabinet symbols work.  I would start by trying to make it work like the wine racks.

post-844-0-14134300-1412348280_thumb.jpg

Cheryl,

I created a Symbolpost-47-0-37944200-1412357489_thumb.jpg that inserts into a Cabinet as an Appliance but I'm not sure if this is exactly what you want it to look like.

If you post a pic of the typical (maybe with some dims) I can refine it and post the actual symbol.  I kind of assume that you wouldn't really want a Box - probably just a number of dividers (maybe 1/2" thick and 22" deep) spaced to fit within a standard cabinet width.  Since the symbol won't stretch in width it will be necessary to create a separate symbol for different width cabinets.  Let me know what works for you and I'll do it.

Maybe something like thispost-47-0-35633400-1412359925_thumb.jpg

.......  Since the symbol won't stretch in width it will be necessary to create a separate symbol for different width cabinets.  .......

I agree with this to a point.  If the symbol is limited to (3) bays,  you should be able to put in (3) stretch zones and the width should resize perfectly (is it stretch zones or stretch  planes?.....  I think stretch planes in this situation).  

The problem would be if you wanted more that 3 bays,  then I would think the best solution would be to have (3) different symbols,  one with 1 bay,  one with 2 bays and one with 3 bays.......  then depending on the configuration,  you can mix and max until you get the correct number of bays,  and they should all be susceptible to adjusting the width.

Scott,

It depends on what Symbol Classification you use.

1. Appliance - will not stretch in the horizontal (x) direction
2. Cabinet Drawer - will stretch with up to 3 stretch planes but the handle has to be None and the drawer itself will still be a part of the cabinet
3. Cabinet Door - will stretch with up to 3 stretch planes but the Door has to be changed to a Door Panel to eliminate the opening indicators & hardware.

I think the best of the solutions is the Cabinet Door - but it does take a bit of extra work (just changing it to a Door Panel.

OTOH, if you use Appliance you have to have the exact number of bays and the width must match the Cabinet Opening - requires more than 1 symbol to accommodate different width cabinets.

Cheryl,

I would - but since this can be done once and the Cabinet "Added" to the user Library - It's very low on my priority list. 

IOW, once you've created such a cabinet and added it to the library It never has to be done again.  It's just like having a Cabinet with a set of Appliances already defined and saved for future use.

I am not sure that I have a handle on using either a Cab Door, Drawer, or Appliance because I wish the tray partitions to be behind a cabinet door. The cabinet can't accept a door over a door, drawer, or appliance. When designing a kitchen, i always put in at least 1 tray cabinet to be used for baking sheets and pans. These aren't things of beauty like platters, so they need to be concealed. 

If we could spec the number of vertical panels the way we do horizontal panels (shelves) I think that it would be helpful. How tall, 1" below the lowest drawer bottom to the floor of the cab.

~Cheryl with ugly baking pans.